Emilion's Hunt Light 3W FT-01, Many Pictures!

huntlight

Newly Enlightened

Output...here's one thing to note...I'd highly recommend running it off either 2x 123As or 2x R123As instead of a single 17670 or 18650. I don't have either of those Li-Ion cells, but do have 14500s and 17500s. I also have solid aluminum spacers, so I don't think they introduce much resistance (really, a spring contact would be more resistive than a solid piece of aluminum). Off a single Li-Ion, it's not as bright as my Nextorch Z1 which I estimate to be about 40lms. I'd guesstimate the FT01 is about 30-35lms off a single Li-Ion. Throw in 2 primaries or 2x R123As and BAM!...it's BRIGHT! Brighter than my modded Q3 which I estimate is 50-55lms, so I'd say the FT01 off 6V-7.4V is at 60lms easy! Very bright!
I notice that my SL Scorpion also reduces in output running off a single R123A vs. 2x 123As (it's dimmer with my VG FB1 on 1x R123A vs. on the stock Scorpion body on 2x 123As). It's just a characteristic of the driver.
Throw is great! I really like it. It outthrows my Scorpion LED easily and with a larger hotspot to boot.
I had planned on getting a 18650 or 17670 cell to use in this light, but now, I'm just going to pick up a couple of 16340s instead. It will probably run for longer also off the 16340s since the buck will reduce the duty cycle due to the higher voltage, so even better.

Thank you very much!

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, I measured input current at the tailcap and off 2x primary 123As, measured about 500-550mA. Off 2x Li-Ion R123As, I measured 450mA...weird that at the higher voltage, the current is less. It could be because the duty cycle on the driver is so low that it's messing with the DMM's averaging. And I do have a cheap RatShack DMM.

havand

Enlightened
Is that low? I'm no expert, infact my knowledge of such things is pretty limited, but it seems low to me. Please, correct me if i'm wrong.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the current's pretty low, especially considering the output (I estimate 60lms on 2x primaries). It could be my DMM. I just know it's bright!

marxs

Enlightened
would anyone happen to have a beamshot comparing it to an edc? or tw4 setup? this i would really like to see...

huntlight

Newly Enlightened
Thank you !

NOW I explain about you says above !

1[font=&#23435]、[/font]It is no problem, FT01 use DC-DC driver, Is constant output power ,is 3w flashlight. P=UI ,So the voltage higher ,the current is less.

2[font=&#23435]、[/font]If you use 2x primary 123As, current about 500-550mA. It is OK too

Because FT01 use DC-DC driver ;and the DC-DC driver efficiency 93% (This efficiency you can calculate with Output power and input power). You know .

efficiency =Output power /input power.If you use 2x primary 123As,The input voltage is 6V; current about 500-550mA,and the LED voltage is voltage is 3.3v~3.5v;so we calculate The output current(The LED current):

ILED=93%*Input voltage*input current /output voltage

ILED=0.93*6v*0.55A /3.5v=0.87A

So the FT01's output power is P=UI=0.87A*3.5v=3.04w,It is no problem;

In fact, You can measured the LED current(output current) with galvanometry ;the DC-DC driver efficiency need our calculate!

Thank you !

Last edited:

marxs

Enlightened
can someone post realworld pics of the throw for these lights? (ft01/ft02) id like to see how they fair in throw...been thinking of getting one of these..

VF1Jskull1

Enlightened
dang, the wait is killing me softly.... ordered it a week and a half ago and still gotta wait till next week to get the dang light... this'll be the last time i'm ordering for seriouslights if i want my light in hand under a week....

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
VF1Jskull1 said:
dang, the wait is killing me softly.... ordered it a week and a half ago and still gotta wait till next week to get the dang light... this'll be the last time i'm ordering for seriouslights if i want my light in hand under a week....

Hi - just thought I'd post a reply to your comment re ship times.

Sorry your light is taking so long to make it to you but as of your post (July 17th) it had only been in the mail for 1 week (6 business days) - You ordered Friday July 7th at 6:49 PM so we missed Fridays mail obviously - your light shipped the following Monday (July 10th).

Expected delivery time for expedited parcel to the US is 6-12 business days. I can't do much to speed up the mail unfortunately ;-) The only faster option I have available for a reasonable cost is express post which is available as an option at checkout for customers who want to get their order ASAP.

Most of my US customers have been receiving their orders in 6-9 business days so it seems to me that expedited post is a reasonable compromise of speed and cost.

If anyone has any ideas for a better shipping method to the US fire me off a PM or email and I'll look into it.

Anyway here's hoping your light makes it to you soon :)

Best Regards,
[email protected]

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 2nd FT01 died right when I put in a pair of R123As. It flashed and stopped working. I've PM'd Huntlight, but thus far, no reply for several days. I hope I hear from them soon. I really like the light, but sad I can't use it.

VF1Jskull1

Enlightened
Hi - just thought I'd post a reply to your comment re ship times.

Sorry your light is taking so long to make it to you but as of your post (July 17th) it had only been in the mail for 1 week (6 business days) - You ordered Friday July 7th at 6:49 PM so we missed Fridays mail obviously - your light shipped the following Monday (July 10th).

Expected delivery time for expedited parcel to the US is 6-12 business days. I can't do much to speed up the mail unfortunately ;-) The only faster option I have available for a reasonable cost is express post which is available as an option at checkout for customers who want to get their order ASAP.

Most of my US customers have been receiving their orders in 6-9 business days so it seems to me that expedited post is a reasonable compromise of speed and cost.

If anyone has any ideas for a better shipping method to the US fire me off a PM or email and I'll look into it.

Anyway here's hoping your light makes it to you soon :)

Best Regards,
[email protected]

Thanks for the reply... I'm sorry I didn't catch your reply earlier. I did recieve it yesterday after picking it up at my local post office (my niece was home at the time of delivery but said the postman didn't even ring the door bell, go figure...). Thanks for the included powerizer lithium cells. The light is nice and bright and very white... whiter than my Fenix P1 (since it has a slightly purple tint to it). I like the feel of the light and the bezel down clip feature. I took it apart and cleaned the burring and added some silicone grease to smooth out the threads and o-rings.

The body is bored a bit larger than the battery diameter so there is some radial play, hence rattle possible... my solution was cut a index card and wrap the batteries to fill the gap to prevent the radial movement.

As for wanting the light sooner, I don't expect it to arrive overnight (it would be fine if it did) but for the price of shipping, i'd wouldn't mind a weeks wait (anywhere from 7 to 10 days is fine) but 2 weeks is a little too long. The site is done well, quite similar to emilion's, fenix-store, and led-lights (IIRC) and the products are good, it's just that for me, if it is gonna take this long the next time on expedited post, I'll look elsewhere, cause I won't be paying 25% or more than the price of the product just to ship it fast.

Anyway, thanks again for offering such a great light.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
so, basically, the newer versions of the ft01s cannot use r123s????

-David

Last edited:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:)

..... Well ... I have ordered one , and I certainly hope cheapo's opinion/assumption is not correct .

I am expecting to put anything I want to into it .

All the way in size - up to 18650.

And if 18650 will fit - any oversized PRO-tected RCR123a should fit .

I ordered it because of that versatility .

.... TMG..:grin2:

cheapo said:
so, basically, the newer versions of the ft01s cannot use r123s.

-David

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
TMG - I got my replacement LED module from Huntlight and it works just like my first FT01 (which is the new model also). I measured current draw on both single Li-Ions (a 14500 and a 16340 R123A), 2x primary 123As, and 2x R123As and they were the same as what I recall measuring on my first FT01 which works like a charm (and that my bro-in-law has been enjoying). My new LED module, which included the reflector, has better focus than my first one tho (a nice plus) and a whiter tint. My first FT01 was pretty white already, but had a very slight purple edge at the hotspots outter perimeter. This new one tho is really white! I love this light...it feels so good in the hand (my hand fits perfectly between the head and the raised portion just before the tailcap with my index and pinky fingers just reaching over each end portion for grip), clicky is responsive and easy and audible, and machining is great. I also purchased the light for it's versatility in battery types and configurations, along with the output, and what I think is the most attractive 2cell light available (I think it looks better than my SF Z2).

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
jsr said:
TMG - I got my replacement LED module from Huntlight and it works just like my first FT01 (which is the new model also). I measured current draw on both single Li-Ions (a 14500 and a 16340 R123A), 2x primary 123As, and 2x R123As and they were the same as what I recall measuring on my first FT01 which works like a charm (and that my bro-in-law has been enjoying). My new LED module, which included the reflector, has better focus than my first one tho (a nice plus) and a whiter tint. My first FT01 was pretty white already, but had a very slight purple edge at the hotspots outter perimeter. This new one tho is really white! I love this light...it feels so good in the hand (my hand fits perfectly between the head and the raised portion just before the tailcap with my index and pinky fingers just reaching over each end portion for grip), clicky is responsive and easy and audible, and machining is great. I also purchased the light for it's versatility in battery types and configurations, along with the output, and what I think is the most attractive 2cell light available (I think it looks better than my SF Z2).

And you can't beat the price!

Longbow

Enlightened
The FT01 is a high-end flashlight without HAIII and the high-end price. For the price of a Surefire tailcap you can buy an extra FT01 to save for spare parts (if ever needed). :clap:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Longbow said:
For the price of a Surefire tailcap you can buy an extra FT01 to save for spare parts (if ever needed). :clap:

Haha, yeah, I find that interesting. My friend's a die hard Surefire guy and I just picked up my first SF, a Z2. I must say, the threading is smooth and everything's made very well on my Z2 (tho, the lamp is slightly crooked, but it seems all are like that as I also ordered a Z2 and C3 for my friend and all were a bit crooked), but I still find it difficult to justify the price of the various accessories and parts for Surefires. For the price of a SF Turbohead, I can pick up 3 FT01s or some other really nice lights (like an HDS B42). Even the 1cell extender for the SF is $30, almost enough to buy another FT01 and enough to pick up a Luxogen LR5-3W from Waion. I do like the Z2 tho...kind of like a Porsche, Ferrari, or Lambo...there's other cars that can beat them in virtually everything for much less, but they evict a feeling that's different due to their brand recognition and reputation...psychological stuff.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:):)

......... Thanks jsr ,

You have eased my anxiety attack ......... I feel better now .

Looking forward to getting mine ,,, but shipping is being delayed ..... cause of a typhoon in the region .... as I am told.

jsr , we appreciate you sharing all your info. with us .

I am glad for you that your replacement was even better than the first .

Keep us informed on further up-dates ......... if any .

Thanks / and regards , ......... TMG..:grin2: