Eneloops safe in a headlamp?

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah the Vizz is what threw me off, I actually own that headlamp. Wondering if I should avoid the eneloops in it?
Your call. Honestly, Eneloops compared to other NiMH batteries are way better. Newest versions of regular Eneloops are rated for 2100 charges. They have an excellent long self discharge rate and they have good consistency with quality and having the cells all at the same voltage when you buy them in a package. Problems start with buying lousy cells. I'd just not store batteries in the light longer than 24 hours to avoid any possible gas build up and you should be fine. Inspect your light and batteries for safety before each use as you would any other tool and you'll be fine.

airwolf41

Newly Enlightened
Yes, you got it. Lettered groups, numbered cells in each group. I don't believe anything would actually happen if an Eneloop reversed polarity other than the light not working until you swapped cells, and there could be no danger, but one of the cells, the one that reversed polarity, won't hold charge anymore.
Sorry for bombarding you with so many questions, your insight has been very helpful. Heres a few more questions and overview of some of your responses and making sure I understand all you said.

What is it exactly that makes the chemistry of Eneloops safer vs other options, is it just not as volatile?

If I'm understanding you correctly, labeling the batteries is more for keeping the batteries in good working order, extending life, etc., not necessarily a must for safety.I want to be able to use my eneloop pros for different applications and not worry about labeling, unless it was needed for safety.

I guess the fact that Eneloop states not to use in waterproof devices is out of an abundance of caution.

Your saying that the amount of hydrogen gas that would leak would not be significant enough that if ignited would be explosive enough to seriously injure. I just wanted to make sure an eneloop venting pr in a multi cell light was not going to be a pipe bomb, or if used in a headlamp, damage one's eyes.....seems its nowhere that.

I guess if an eneloop leaked gas, if would not have enough pressure to ruptute the light and releasing the gas by unscrewing the endcap would do nothing unless there was a flame or spark i guess? Even then I think you said the gas would be so minute, if would just be a quick flash?

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is it exactly that makes the chemistry of Eneloops safer vs other options, is it just not as volatile?

Nickel Metal Hydride is a safe, non-volatile chemistry, and it is inherently safe. Lithium ion cells contain far more energy, and lithium itself is volatile, can spontaneously combust in air on exposure to oxygen, nitrogen, and/or carbon dioxide, and it will explode if exposed to water (to be clear, raw elemental Li will explode if exposed to water, but I wouldn't expect that to happen with an intact Li-ion cell, only that it would lose capacity and if exposed long enough to water or moisture, rust could form, and it is possible the cell could short itself, which would be bad).

If I'm understanding you correctly, labeling the batteries is more for keeping the batteries in good working order, extending life, etc., not necessarily a must for safety.I want to be able to use my eneloop pros for different applications and not worry about labeling, unless it was needed for safety.

Eneloop Pro are more fragile and less tolerant to abuse than standard Eneloop. And even under ideal conditions, after 50 recharges, both the Eneloop Pro and standard Eneloop will have the same charge capacity, though the Eneloop Pro is only rated for a further 450 recharges, though standard Eneloop for a further 1600+ recharges.

The idea for dedicating cell groups and swapping cell positions at each use is to give the cells even wear. Splitting up your cell sets necessarily means the individual cells will have different experience and will no longer be closely matched, meaning in a two cell light one of the cells would probably be discharged faster than the other, and it increases the risk of one of the cells reversing polarity, but to no ill effect other than being left in the dark. There is no danger with NiMH, only that your cells may degrade, or one may be in a more degraded state than the other, and the performance of the light will follow the performance of the cells. But, again, nothing bad will happen with NiMH no matter what you do them, unless that be to drop them down the barrel of a shotgun. That could kill someone when discharged.

I guess the fact that Eneloop states not to use in waterproof devices is out of an abundance of caution.

Not really, it's because of performance. Water and vapor will cause the cells to self-discharge at an increased rate, resulting in reduced capacity, but water can also damage and possibly short the cells. You want to keep your cells dry.

Your saying that the amount of hydrogen gas that would leak would not be significant enough that if ignited would be explosive enough to seriously injure. I just wanted to make sure an eneloop venting pr in a multi cell light was not going to be a pipe bomb, or if used in a headlamp, damage one's eyes.....seems its nowhere that.

The amount of gas that possibly may (or may never) vent is insignificant, so even in the off chance the cell vents, if somehow the gas didn't dissipate, which it would, and then somehow it ignited, even if it ignited next to your face there could be no damage, due to the insignificant quality of gas.

I guess if an eneloop leaked gas, if would not have enough pressure to ruptute the light and releasing the gas by unscrewing the endcap would do nothing unless there was a flame or spark i guess? Even then I think you said the gas would be so minute, if would just be a quick flash?

The increased pressure would be insignificant, only enough to bulge the switch boot slightly, and I don't think there would be any way to ignite the tiny amount of gas unless you were already in fire in a room on fire, and even then it wouldn't do any damage. It'd be the already being on fire part you'd be worried about, not a little pop from a tiny amount of hydrogen gas.

Last edited:

airwolf41

Newly Enlightened
Nickel Metal Hydride is a safe, non-volatile chemistry, and it is inherently safe. Lithium ion cells contain far more energy, and lithium itself is volatile, can spontaneously combust in air on exposure to oxygen, nitrogen, and/or carbon dioxide, and it will explode if exposed to water (to be clear, raw elemental Li will explode if exposed to water, but I wouldn't expect that to happen with an intact Li-ion cell, only that it would lose capacity and if exposed long enough to water or moisture, rust could form, and it is possible the cell could short itself, which would be bad).

Eneloop Pro are more fragile and less tolerant to abuse than standard Eneloop. And even under ideal conditions, after 50 recharges, both the Eneloop Pro and standard Eneloop will have the same charge capacity, though the Eneloop Pro is only rated for a further 450 recharges, though standard Eneloop for a further 1600+ recharges.

The idea for dedicating cell groups and swapping cell positions at each use is to give the cells even wear. Splitting up your cell sets necessarily means the individual cells will have different experience and will no longer be closely matched, meaning in a two cell light one of the cells would probably be discharged faster than the other, and it increases the risk of one of the cells reversing polarity, but to no ill effect other than being left in the dark. There is no danger with NiMH, only that your cells may degrade, or one may be in a more degraded state than the other, and the performance of the light will follow the performance of the cells. But, again, nothing bad will happen with NiMH no matter what you do them, unless that be to drop them down the barrel of a shotgun. That could kill someone when discharged.

Not really, it's because of performance. Water and vapor will cause the cells to self-discharge at an increased rate, resulting in reduced capacity, but water can also damage and possibly short the cells. You want to keep your cells dry.

The amount of gas that possibly may (or may never) vent is insignificant, so even in the off chance the cell vents, if somehow the gas didn't dissipate, which it would, and then somehow it ignited, even if it ignited next to your face there could be no damage, due to the insignificant quality of gas.

The increased pressure would be insignificant, only enough to bulge the switch boot slightly, and I don't think there would be any way to ignite the tiny amount of gas unless you were already in fire in a room on fire, and even then it wouldn't do any damage. It'd be the already being on fire part you'd be worried about, not a little pop from a tiny amount of hydrogen gas.
Chillinn,

Thank you, very helpful.