Energizer AA Lithium

OK, here's another update on my Energizer AA Ultimate Lithium battery snafu. The tale turns on a faulty battery testing tool...

Voltage. My earlier 1.5v reading was taken with an older multimeter. The community's comments made me suspicious of its accuracy. I replaced it with a new Klein Tools Digital Multimeter, Model No. MM450. I found that using the Klein, all but one of the cells fell in the range of 1.78-1.80v. The one outlier registered 1.77v. Given that these readings are what would normally be expected from these cells, I feel the cell voltage is not in issue, and is now in line with the voltage reported by others.

ZTS Pulse Load Tester. Because the retested battery voltage was so consistent across the six packages tested, I began to suspect that my pulse load tester might somehow be compromised. I was able to persuade a colleague who works at a well-known engineering firm to perform an analysis of my batteries. This firm is a multi-state engineering company with expertise in multiple disciplines, including equipment failure analysis. They have some very sophisticated, high-end analytical tools that command a confidence factor far in excess of the rough-and-ready reading my little hand-held tester can provide. They found that all but fifteen of the 120 cells were within the expected parameters for capacity. More to the point, they also found that my ZTS Pulse Load Tester was ever so slightly miscalibrated. After recalibrating my hand-held tester, it duplicated the more sophisticated engineering test results almost exactly.

I consider this reduced percentage of compromised cells to be a much less worrisome outcome than what I feared from my original working hypothesis. First and foremost it restores my confidence in Energizer's Ultimate Lithium cells (even those manufactured in Singapore). Second, of the fifteen compromised cells, the recalibrated Pulse Load Tester (as confirmed by the more sophisticated load testing) show that six are at 80% capacity (not too bad), five at 60% capacity (annoying), two at 40% capacity, and two at 20% capacity. So even though the capacity in these cells is diminished, most of these compromised cells did not completely fail, and only four of the 120 (3.33%) are well and truly compromised.

I hope this update restores confidence among the brethren in your Ultimate Lithium bunny cells. (There was a comment made by brother michaex above that his trust in the Energizer Lithium cells had been shaken a bit by my report...I hope with this to restore his faith.) 👼

Your comments are invited. (Kindly avoid flaming the poster however. Thank you.)

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about your faith in us? Has that improved? ;)
I suppose no one guessed it was your equipment, and maybe at least one of us should have.

michaex

Enlightened
@DaveTheDude kudos for going all the way. Thank you for your in depth analysis - it'll serve us well for long term storage cells. Let's get back to the topic in 10 years and see what results we'll get on slightly older cells with suggested lifespan of 20 years!

*BIG* Thank-You for your updated report here !

:clap: :lovecpf:
OK, one more update, this time about Energizer's response to my complaint. Energizer has agreed that enough of the cells were compromised to warrant reimbursement for the cost of the damaged cells. The customer service representative wrote that I should receive a check in the mail by the first week in March 2023.

Because my purpose was both to alert the company to a potential quality control issue (which was subsequently determined to be a local measurement issue), and to obtain fully functioning replacements for the truly compromised cells, I feel that reimbursement is an equitable resolution: I'm happy with the outcome.

And with that update, this little adventure is concluded.

Does Energizer L91 now get your full endorsement? Do you recommend them, or will you be spending your reimbursement check on a different brand?
I'll continue to buy Energizer Lithium for AA primary backup cells. Eneloop cells remain my choice for my own AA & AAA lights. Typically however I use li-ion ion cells almost exclusively, mostly 18650's, 16340's, 14500's, & 16650's. The lithium AA cells are intended for battery powered appliances such as GPS, radios, travel shavers, and emergency flashlights that are certified as being intrinsically safe for use by muggles.

My experience in evaluating the 120 Energizer AA cells as documented in this thread showed that 93% were in the end validated as being at 100% capacity, 3% were at less than 100% capacity (but still useable), with only 4% being prematurely compromised, with so little remaining capacity that the cells were only capable of powering common 1xAA lights on the lowest output levels. A 4% failure rate, while not ideal, is nevertheless not a total surprise.

So with that little qualification in mind, I'll continue to buy Energizer Lithium cells for their intended purposes, at least until something better comes along.

Last edited: