Energizer Recharge Extreme AA (2300 mAh) and AAA (800 mAh)

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anybody have any hands-on experience with these new Energizer NiHM AA (2300 mAh) or AAA (800 mAh)?

Judging by the specs, they look similar to the Eneloop Pro batteries.

They seem to be available only in Europe but I guess in North America they are probably marketed under a different name.

The only decent review I could find is this one.
https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/energizer-recharge-extreme-aa-2300mah

I can find them almost 50% cheaper than the Eneloop Pro which I mainly use in GPS devices (GPSMAP 66ST, 64S, and Foretrex 601).
For AA flashlights I use the regular Eneloops but I'm considering these, both for a couple of flashlights and maybe for my PMR446 two-way radios (equivalent of the US FRS).

Thanks in advance for any replies.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have, they work well, but there is an oddity - when charging, they heat up, about 30-40 degrees Celsius. Enelup will not heat up. Used in an electric toothbrush, I have not tried it in flashlights

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to this sale, these are made in Japan. If they're made in Japan, then there is only one place these LSD NiMH could have been made, the Twicell factory in Gunma, Takasaki, owned by FDK Corp (FDK), a majority owned unit of Fujitsu Ltd that acquired the entire share capital of SANYO Energy Tottori Co Ltd (Tottori), an Iwami, Tottori- based manufacturer of lithium battery, from Sanyo Electric Co Ltd., acquired by Panasonic (50.2%) in late 2009.

tl;dr FDK Corp makes the best LSD NiMH cells in the world by far, including Eneloop, Fujitsu, Sanyo, Nikon, LADDA 2450, Toshiba Impulse 2450, Amazon Basics 2400 (grey), Duraloops, etc.

In that review, the profile looks a little different from Eneloop Pro to me, but I think in large respect they must be very similar to, if not effectively identical to, Eneloop Pro. Depending on the price and how much time you have, you could just get LADDA 2450 from IKEA, though they take a couple to few months to ship when ordered online for some reason, a quad is $10, up from $6 a couple years ago.

Bear in mind that though Eneloop Pro have more capacity, in my experience they are more fragile than standard Eneloop, less tolerant of abuse such as dropping, overdischarge and overcharge to the effect of not providing any amps and/or vastly reduced capacity. Even when not abused, after 50 recharges, Eneloop Pro and Eneloop will have the same capacity, but after, say, 100 recharges, a standard Eneloop will probably have more than an Eneloop Pro, which are only rated for 500 recharges, while Eneloop are rated for iirc over 2100.

In my opinion that I adopted from other battery geeks here, unless you absolutely need the extra capacity, and some applications do, such as flash photography, because Eneloop Pro and variants are so expensive (except for IKEA LADDA 2450), standard Eneloops are far more economical. IKEA LADDA 2450 when at $6 a quad were pretty economical, but at $10 a quad that needs to be reassessed in comparison to the current prices of standard Eneloop, but I suspect if it was close to a wash when LADDA 2450 were $6, that standard Eneloop has squeaked ahead. 2100+ recharges of 2000mAh is hard to beat. But at $8 a quad, IKEA LADDA 1900mAh are probably legitimately standard Eneloop 2000mAh (if they are made in Japan, they definitely are, and so they are:
meWh2vL_d.webp
) and up to $4 less than a quad of standard label Eneloop 2000mAh.

I have a quad of the older AA Energizer Recharge 1300mAh, made in China, which seem to be LSDish and have very different discharge profile from Eneloop. They are a few years old with probably less than 50 recharges, and they give slightly more voltage than Eneloop at 1A-ish. But who knows how long they'll maintain capacity.

Last edited:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to this sale, these are made in Japan. If they're made in Japan, then there is only one place these LSD NiMH could have been made, the Twicell factory in Gunma, Takasaki, owned by FDK Corp (FDK), a majority owned unit of Fujitsu Ltd that acquired the entire share capital of SANYO Energy Tottori Co Ltd (Tottori), an Iwami, Tottori- based manufacturer of lithium battery, from Sanyo Electric Co Ltd., acquired by Panasonic (50.2%) in late 2009.

tl;dr FDK Corp makes the best LSD NiMH cells in the world by far, including Eneloop, Fujitsu, Sanyo, Nikon, LADDA 2450, Toshiba Impulse 2450, Amazon Basics 2400 (grey), Duraloops, etc.

In that review, the profile looks a little different from Eneloop Pro to me, but I think in large respect they must be very similar to, if not effectively identical to, Eneloop Pro. Depending on the price and how much time you have, you could just get LADDA 2450 from IKEA, though they take a couple to few months to ship when ordered online for some reason, a quad is $10, up from $6 a couple years ago.

Bear in mind that though Eneloop Pro have more capacity, in my experience they are more fragile than standard Eneloop, less tolerant of abuse such as dropping, overdischarge and overcharge to the effect of not providing any amps and/or vastly reduced capacity. Even when not abused, after 50 recharges, Eneloop Pro and Eneloop will have the same capacity, but after, say, 100 recharges, a standard Eneloop will probably have more than an Eneloop Pro, which are only rated for 500 recharges, while Eneloop are rated for iirc over 2100.

In my opinion that I adopted from other battery geeks here, unless you absolutely need the extra capacity, and some applications do, such as flash photography, because Eneloop Pro and variants are so expensive (except for IKEA LADDA 2450), standard Eneloops are far more economical.

Thanks for all this info, it's very useful!

I could get Ikea Ladda 24450 for 8 euros but Ikea is not really close to where I live. I own quite a few which I use for electronic candles around the house, together with some Amazon basics, and have worked great.

I also experienced reduced capacity with my Eneloop XX which is how the earlier version of the Pro used to be called. The AAA performed better over time but capacity of the AAs after many cycles dropped significantly.

With the newer Eneloop Pro I haven't had the same problem though. I have only used it in GPS devices (beyond 50 cycles for sure) and never in flashlights. I have also only charged them with my best NiHM charger, a Panasonic Eneloop BQ-CC65, which might have helped keep them performing over time.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used the older US Energizer 2300 AAs and ? 750 AAAs for decades, long before Eneloops were in existence and for me, at least, they were gang busters.

I have/had a remote RF keyboard and mouse and they used AAs and AAAs respectfully.

The Energizers both had the green fiber board washers at the positive poles and worked for years. Both were made in Japan.

I can't find the same ones now, but they seemed to be a hybrid between standard LSDs and HSDs...meaning that they did not self-discharge quickly, but still had good capacity for the time.

These were Mylar wrapped with green accents.

Chris