Escape from the Tunnels

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: New York City Subway and New Jersey PATH

Oh yes, the 2L does have a twist bezel. It's pretty easy to operate. I had thought for your application, that wouldn't be a problem--you wouldn't be turning it on and off much, so you could just put down whatever else you were holding in order to turn the light on.

If keeping hands free is an issue, it occurs to me that the light that you really want is the Petzl Zipka+. That's a 4-led, dimmable light powered by three AAA's; it's a bit smaller than a pack of cigarettes, and its nice feature is that it has a a retractable headband stowed entirely inside the body (except when you're wearing it). So you can handhold it, or put it on your forehead for handsfree use. Runtime should be in the 20 hour range, with gradual dimming.

http://www.countycomm.com/zipka.htm

Mr_Dead

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Oh yes, the 2L does have a twist bezel. It's pretty easy to operate. I had thought for your application, that wouldn't be a problem--you wouldn't be turning it on and off much, so you could just put down whatever else you were holding in order to turn the light on.
http://www.countycomm.com/zipka.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

You're perfectly correct, for the primary application, it probably wouldn't make any difference, at least not often. It's just that this "feature" of Tek-Lites, Mini-Mags and dozens of others has been so inconvenient so often that it's put something of a kink in my tail. I just don't like it. It's a cheap way to make a pretty waterproof light, but to my mind it just sacrifices too much usability.

It's not just a tactical thing- I mentioned that the UK 4AA LED seems about ideal for boat use, that's not idle specualtion, I've sailed quite a bit. One really outstanding fact about sailboats is that whenever things start to get "interesting", you have nowhere near enough hands. ANYTHING that can be easily opereated with one hand is invaluable. Anything that can't might just get you killed.

After I bought those Trek lights from C. Crane, I pretty well resolved those would be the last twist heads I ever bought.

paulr

Flashaholic

I'm not trying to make a sales pitch for twist bezels, it's just that an awful lot of lights use them, including the 2AA Minimag, one of the most popular lights in existence. Most of the long-running 1LED lights discussed in this thread use them too. It's a simple, very reliable design that doesn't turn on and off by accident.

I haven't tried the Tektites but I find I can pretty easily operate the UK 2L one-handed, and I generally find it easier to operate than the rather stiff pushbutton on the 4AA.

Even a lot of the Surefires are twist operation. They have a pushbutton for momentary operation, but you twist the tailcap to set them constant-on. Surefire also has some "clickie" tailcaps; however, not everyone prefers those to the momentary/twist versions.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Mr. Dead,

Dissing twist switches out of hand is rather harsh.

I have 5 twist head and a bunch of twist tail lights. I have XL glove size hands with at least average dexterity. Twist switches don't give me any trouble what so ever.

You are one hard dude!

Mr_Dead

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
Dissing twist switches out of hand is rather harsh.

You are one hard dude!

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Just stating a personal preference, not trying to dictate anyone else's. I have no experience with the twist-tail switches, so I'm not qualified to comment on them.

Yes, the twist-heads have been hugely popular. There are historical reasons for that, that probably don't apply any longer.

Some of them are certainly easier to operate one-handed than others, and, if it's not a problem for you, then by all means... still, you might want to actually see how easy it is to operate with one wet, numb, cold hand while you're hanging onto something with the other as though your existence depends on it. I'd think it better to find out now than later... but it's your choice.

Personally, I don't like them, for the reasons stated.

Is it incorrect of me to say so?

Brace yourself, I hate olives, too... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

notrefined

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Mr_Dead said:

Brace yourself, I hate olives, too... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You *******! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Personally, I don't mind twist bezels, but really can't stand surefire type twist/momentary combination switches

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I'm sorta like notrefined as he describes it.

Most of my best push/twist tail lights now have one hand clickies. Krolls mostly.

But twist bezels are fine!

It's within your right Mr. Dead to not like them. But I still say you are one harsh dude!

In the end though, If you or I or anyone here NEEDED help, the rest would jump to it! This is a GREAT group of people!

Mr_Dead

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
But twist bezels are fine!

It's within your right Mr. Dead to not like them. But I still say you are one harsh dude!

In the end though, If you or I or anyone here NEEDED help, the rest would jump to it! This is a GREAT group of people!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'm new here, and I probably haven't assimilated the culture well at all, so let me make sure I understand this...

You're saying, basically, that if I were, for example, drowning in quicksand, the folks here would take the time out to save my life EVEN THOUGH I was once critical of twist bezels on flahslights?

Well, uh, gee... that's, um, awfully open minded. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But you think I'M harsh... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

03lab

Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif What's so harsh about not liking twist switches? I prefer clickies too.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast

You know how "flashaholics" are, they only like kroll's or twist bezels, or voice command lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif I say carry one of each!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Blades

Mr_Dead

Newly Enlightened
Addendum

An addendum:

From the AP feed, just now:

Trains Bump on Metro's Red Line
Metrorail riders Nick Harnice and his girlfriend, Deana Clingerman said they were on the train that was hit.

Harnice said when the car pulled into the station and stopped, the conductor began screaming for people to get off the train, and the passngers started running.

Clingerman said in a matter of seconds a second train hit their train head-on and went on top of the first train, sending debris flying.

The title would appear to be an understatement.

Mr_Dead

Newly Enlightened

Ok, on the subject of clickies vs. twisties and twist bezels, and all that...

Those following the thread know that previously my best light was a Pelican Stealthlight 4AA, and that I ordered a UK 4AA eLED,Streamlight Twin Task 2L, an Inova X5 (HA3/sterile/subdued), and an ULTRA-G. 'Been having fun playing around with them, wondering about the best combination for the commute.

I have a confession to make.

I also succumbed to all the SF HYPE around here, and, cursing myself for an idiot, bought an L4.

Wow.

Ok, I "get" it now.

Ok, you can say at this level of EXPENSE it darn well OUGHT to, and you're right, but it's also true that it makes everything else seem some combination of heavy/clunky/bulky/fragile/dim.

Question (and maybe this is the wrong forum?)- I had anticipated getting an Aleph 2-stage switch for this, maybe 30 ohms, for conserving energy. But now I LIKE the clicky it came with, and I'm having second thoughts. How easy is the Aleph to work one-handed? Not just momentary, but to lock into mode? Keep in mind the wet/cold/slippery/numb hands criteria.

Thanks

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a McGizmo 2 stage built into a stock SF cap. I too like the clickie but the 2 stage really changed the way I use the light. I also run it on 1 Pila Li ion rechargable battery. I belive both of these mods improve upon an already great light. You might check out more in McGizmo's Forum.

Good luck,
LT

turbodog

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Mr_Dead said:
Ok, on the subject of clickies vs. twisties and twist bezels, and all that...

Those following the thread know that previously my best light was a Pelican Stealthlight 4AA, and that I ordered a UK 4AA eLED,Streamlight Twin Task 2L, an Inova X5 (HA3/sterile/subdued), and an ULTRA-G. 'Been having fun playing around with them, wondering about the best combination for the commute.

I have a confession to make.

I also succumbed to all the SF HYPE around here, and, cursing myself for an idiot, bought an L4.

Wow.

Ok, I "get" it now.

Ok, you can say at this level of EXPENSE it darn well OUGHT to, and you're right, but it's also true that it makes everything else seem some combination of heavy/clunky/bulky/fragile/dim.

Question (and maybe this is the wrong forum?)- I had anticipated getting an Aleph 2-stage switch for this, maybe 30 ohms, for conserving energy. But now I LIKE the clicky it came with, and I'm having second thoughts. How easy is the Aleph to work one-handed? Not just momentary, but to lock into mode? Keep in mind the wet/cold/slippery/numb hands criteria.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a real answer to your questions, but....

I have noticed on my L4, e2e, e1e that the knurling is directional. It is rougher in one direction than the other, and it always happens to be the direction you need to turn the light on. Extra grippy.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mr Dead,
You can check out one of my SF tailcaps that have been converted to a 2-stage by McGizmo.

Tim

Freedom1955

Enlightened

Streamlight 2L Led 3W Luxeon. That's would be my choice for you Mr_Dead. The only problem for you might be is would it be comfortable to carry all day in your front pocket.

HesNot

Enlightened

Obviously people have different needs with regard to front pockets - I mostly wear a suit so an L4, E2e, Minimag, UK 4AA eled, SL TT 2L are all too big to comfortably carry every day. An Arc LS or 4 is pushing it really. So for true EDC I carry an Arc AAA and sometimes an Inova X1.

All that aside, I know that for me, having lived in DC and ridden the subway, I can see Mr. Dead's predicament and I think preliminarily my outline solution would be to carry a really small light, ArcAAA or Photon in my pocket that would allow me to access my briefcase and another more useful light for the situation. I always carry a briefcase so this isn't an issue of me of not having it.

All the lights thus far have been good suggestions - my personal choice would likely be the Streamlight TT 2L. It is clearly a compromise light. The incandescent beam isn't as nice or long throwing as an E2e and the LEDs aren't as nice as an Inova X5, but you get a pretty darn good incandescent and a pretty darn good (and very long running) LED solution in one package. Once in hand in an emergency situation you don't have to worry about switching or putting your hands on something else. You need a brighter beam, boom there it is, then back to your task setting. While I find I don't use my Twintask 2L that much around the house (when I can carry whatever I want for the task and tend to use rechargeable solutions) I think in Mr. Dead's scenario that would be my primary go to light along with some CountyComm $1 lights to hand out to others.

Freedom1955

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
HesNot said:
Obviously people have different needs with regard to front pockets - I mostly wear a suit so an L4, E2e, Minimag, UK 4AA eled, SL TT 2L are all too big to comfortably carry every day. An Arc LS or 4 is pushing it really. So for true EDC I carry an Arc AAA and sometimes an Inova X1.

All that aside, I know that for me, having lived in DC and ridden the subway, I can see Mr. Dead's predicament and I think preliminarily my outline solution would be to carry a really small light, ArcAAA or Photon in my pocket that would allow me to access my briefcase and another more useful light for the situation. I always carry a briefcase so this isn't an issue of me of not having it.

All the lights thus far have been good suggestions - my personal choice would likely be the Streamlight TT 2L. It is clearly a compromise light. The incandescent beam isn't as nice or long throwing as an E2e and the LEDs aren't as nice as an Inova X5, but you get a pretty darn good incandescent and a pretty darn good (and very long running) LED solution in one package. Once in hand in an emergency situation you don't have to worry about switching or putting your hands on something else. You need a brighter beam, boom there it is, then back to your task setting. While I find I don't use my Twintask 2L that much around the house (when I can carry whatever I want for the task and tend to use rechargeable solutions) I think in Mr. Dead's scenario that would be my primary go to light along with some CountyComm $1 lights to hand out to others.

[/ QUOTE ]

HesNot,

Don't you think the new SL 2L Led 3W Luxeon would be a better more reliable choice vs the SL TT 2L which has the incandecsent main bulb?

HesNot

Enlightened

MLong - I agree that a two stage luxeon would probably be even better than a Twintask 2L - but I haven't actually handled one (other than an Arc4 which I would NOT use as my last ditch has to work light simply due to the reliability and complexity issue) - but I know the Twintask is rock solid reliable and has a ridiculously long runtime in LED mode and has a pretty useful incandescent beam.

I'd really like to see some reviews of the 3W Streamlight - I really like my Strion and TT and it appears to be of similar build quality. Anyway - if it lives up to its description (i.e. really has 11 hours of runtime on low mode) it sounds like a winner. I know the runtime issue can be overrated, realistically if you're evacuating etc... you're looking at a couple hours max and probably less. However I use my lights regularly, all of them, so I can't always count on having absolutely brand new batteries all the time - one reason the really long LED runtime of the TT is so appealing.