Essays on the importance of a Key Chain Flashlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max

Enlightened
Here's my 2 cents.

I see this blurb trying to do several things at once:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Convince the buyer that he/she should have a good keychain flashlight.
<LI>List some of disadvantages of other flashlights.
<LI>List some advantages of the ARC AAA.
<LI>Educate the buyer about what what to look for in a flashlight, how thoughtfully designed the ARC AAA is, and how for $30 you really get a better value in the long run than a cheaper inferior product.
[/list]

The reader is getting a lesson in the ABC's of LED flashlights, but the reader is also supposed to understand passages like:
Remember, conventional flashlights leave you no choice but to throw away "dead" cells that still have 30-40% capacity remaining because their light bulb simply cannot produce any more light from that battery voltage (you get what is called a "death spiral").

Of course, everybody knows about the good 'ol conventional flashlight death spiral.

The nature of a key chain sized flashlight dictates that you will be constantly using the light. This fact in itself is a force multiplier.

Force multiplier?

The best anodize finish is what is called a "Type III" or "HA" finish. It is about 55 on the HRC hardness scale.

HRC hardness scale?

In my opinion, there is excellent information here, but it reads like something written by the flashlight guru who designed the thing (go figure).

There's a reason why those infomercials on TV usually make the pitch in a two-person team where on person is enthusiastic but ignorant while the other is the expert who gets technical. That way you get to go into details without sounding like only an expert would want this product.

If there could be some way to give the blurb this kind of split personality, it might work even better. For example, on the one hand, you don't want to leave out the technical details, but on the other hand, you don't want to miss important selling points like:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>The ARC AAA is brighter and whiter than most other flashlights its size.
<LI>It's useful and convenient to carry. The more you use it, the more useful you will find it to be.
<LI>It uses inexpensive easy-to-find batteries.
<LI>It stays bright throughout the life of the battery.
<LI>It squeezes more of the juice out of a battery than other flashlights do.
[/list]

Stuff about clear alodine and self-discharging NiMH batteries is good too, but don't let that obsure the impact of taking a "dead" battery out of a Mag Solitaire and showing it fire up an ARC AAA.

To some people, the engineering details are fascinating, and to others they just serve the purpose of saying, "Man, that Peter Gransee guy sure knows a lot about flashlights. I'm glad I'm buying one designed by him!"

JollyRoger

Enlightened
Peter, I'm giving an ARC LE to a friend today for his birthday...I think I'll print out your post and include it! Perfect...

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Testing by an independent lab showed the Arc-AAA to maintain 80% of its original brightness with a battery that had only 40% remaining capacity (0.9 volts)!

[/ QUOTE ]

Peter, excellent article. Very informative and well written.

I do have one question though. Do you mean 0.9 volts REMAINING in the battery is 40%?

0.9 volts remaining power is actually 60% from a 1.5 volt battery assuming it works linearly?

Did you mean to say that "40% remaining capacity (0.6 volts)!"?

0.6 volts is actually 40% of 1.5 volts, right?

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The data I have so far indicates that at 0.9volts 40% is the absolute maximum available for an alkaline cell. Most manufacturers say that at 0.9v the cell is practically dead.

Peter

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:
The data I have so far indicates that at 0.9volts 40% is the absolute maximum available for an alkaline cell. Most manufacturers say that at 0.9v the cell is practically dead.

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, so its not a matter of dividing 0.9 volts into 1.5 volts? I don't have any electronics knowledge, which is why I'm asking.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great essay,
When the AAA again becomes available, I will buy three of them. Love my AA but it will move to the "hanging off the bedpost on a lanyard so I can go to the bathroom without waking up my spouse" light.
The great thing about the essay is I can print it out and include it with the gift lights.

brickbat

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Luff said:
Don't use friends or employees because their opinions are biased ... as are ours here in CPF-land. If you have a college in your area, some sociology, marketing or advertising professor can probably help out with some simple testing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just wanted to second this bit of advice, lest it be lost in all the other good points that have been raised here. The opinions of friends, co-workers, and CPF members need to be tempered with those from 'real-world' potential customers.

dtsoll

Enlightened
Benthead has a great idea there, print it out and include it with AAA's given as gifts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I do have one question, in essay one it says available in 9 colors. Does this mean all colors will now be in production again?? Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: Essays on the importance of a Key Chain Flashl

Maybe Peter could update the article a bit, then print it in a pamphlet to include with every AAA.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

A friend of mine lost power (as did I) a few months ago and did not have fun with flashlights. She fired hers up and the batteries leaked and it was dead. The other one had a blown bulb. She proceeded to light a candle in her bedroom to get some light ... then the phone rang. $10,000 in fire damage later...

Meanwhile, I was lighting up my bedroom with an Arc AA sitting on it's tail. The living room was nice and brightly lit with an Anglelux (2D military flashlight with voltage regulator and 1.2 watt Luxeon) My kids were having fun with my BB500 R2H and my friend's house was on fire.

She has "emergency maglights" now that will suffer the same problem in time. My plan is to get her an Arc AAA for her keychain so she will always have light. The other light will be the UKE 4AA regulated Luxeon light running 4 lithium AA batteries for 12 hours of flat output. The UKE will be located in the trunk of her car. The larger lithium powered emergency flashlights should be in the trunk of the car, so they won't be lost or the batteries used up.

The Arc AAA she receives will have Peter's essay included so she will put it on her keychain. The other good thing about the essay is it tells the receiver how much the light costs so they would tend to take care of it.

Bill.H

Enlightened

Whew! After reading that I'm glad I already have my AAA since they're a bit hard to get right now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Essay 2 is perfect. Essay #1 would be, but this statement:

[ QUOTE ]

The Arc-AAA is the only key chain sized LED flashlight in the world that uses a common AAA cell. All other LED key chain sized flashlights use harder to find and more expensive coin or cylindrical cells.

[/ QUOTE ]
may be incorrect. The CMG Sonic uses a AAA and is about the same size. The Dorcy AAA, well, it's a bit shaky as to whether or not it's keychain size. I hope this doesn't sound like I'm criticizing - I just don't want there to be a problem in the future if it's printed as is.

I like the idea of putting it in a pamphlet - perhaps one that could be put by the display in the store? This way people who thought the light was too much $$ might grab one and read it later, THEN come back and buy it.

Of course, that assumes all us Arcoholics don't grab all the pamphlets to use as wallpaper... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

paulr

Flashaholic

At the time that essay was written, the Arc was the only 1AAA white LED flashlight. The Dorcy and Sonic came along later.

Status
Not open for further replies.