ethanol blend vs ethanol free gas in small engines

turbodog

Flashaholic
That fuel pump bulb is important with 2 stroke engines?

I'm ready to throw my 2 stroke blower out. If I just need a bulb, I'll let it live a little longer.
It takes too many pulls to get it started.

It primes the carburetor to a degree. But there's a very basic fuel pump built into the carburetor also. It tends to stiffen with age... makes it hard to crank. However, once cranked, the RPMs are high enough to overcome the degradation and engines will run just fine. Cranking is the bear...

You can buy a rebuild kit, or just grab a new carb.

That fuel pump bulb is important with 2 stroke engines?

I'm ready to throw my 2 stroke blower out. If I just need a bulb, I'll let it live a little longer.
It takes too many pulls to get it started.

$15.88 on the big A.

ZPHpk5F.jpg

Yes, everything pictured above. $15.88. Crazy, I know.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Thanks turbodog,
Here is an image of mine.
I couldn't find an image until I qualified the search with "Vintage"

ACtC-3ed7TrxFuwxnrE2DL9c0PIXt1R5R8Z69i-sSawb7_QKTkJ9XiwrYboLLh_tOWaQRljqQqKYw3XkE_ltWQo4LViPJQXyDXHE3P4J_xijR2S8W-0LcG0lhfGp-xp7O6WBTKlXRoG8LOm0lTxYdKLjtCbv=w800-h600-no

It ran three years ago.
We had a lawn guy, and two years ago, I started it and it would run when horizontal for an hour, but when I dipped the nose towards the ground... you know, where the leaves live, it would bog out and die.

Last week it wouldn't start. I couldn't tell, but I am not sure if I have spark.
I'm not sure if it is worth saving.
Even when running it is load.
I have an electric blower, and a 18V Ryobi (a bit under powered driver way sweeper) and a rake. I rarely git someone to work with me, so two blowers won't matter.

I hate to throw any tool out, so I might fix it and give it to my son.
If I had a heated garage like I used to...
Now the weather is changing.

turbodog

Flashaholic
In the picture, the fuel pump is contained in the 'trapdoor' on the BOTTOM of the carb, opposite the primer bulb, held in place with a single screw.

You can see the gasket in the photo. It's typically reusable. Pump is a thin layer of plastic with a couple of semicircle areas on it. They act as simple one way valves.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Thanks turbodog,
Here is an image of mine.
I couldn't find an image until I qualified the search with "Vintage"

ACtC-3ed7TrxFuwxnrE2DL9c0PIXt1R5R8Z69i-sSawb7_QKTkJ9XiwrYboLLh_tOWaQRljqQqKYw3XkE_ltWQo4LViPJQXyDXHE3P4J_xijR2S8W-0LcG0lhfGp-xp7O6WBTKlXRoG8LOm0lTxYdKLjtCbv=w800-h600-no

It ran three years ago.
We had a lawn guy, and two years ago, I started it and it would run when horizontal for an hour, but when I dipped the nose towards the ground... you know, where the leaves live, it would bog out and die.

Last week it wouldn't start. I couldn't tell, but I am not sure if I have spark.
I'm not sure if it is worth saving.
Even when running it is load.
I have an electric blower, and a 18V Ryobi (a bit under powered driver way sweeper) and a rake. I rarely git someone to work with me, so two blowers won't matter.

I hate to throw any tool out, so I might fix it and give it to my son.
If I had a heated garage like I used to...
Now the weather is changing.

Sounds like it might be the fuel pickup in the tank... sometimes they break off or get cracks in the line. It's the green item on the right side in the picture above.

Poppy

Flashaholic
OK Chance, you twisted my arm :)

I started my reply to turbodog a couple of hours ago, had dinner, and played cards and sudoko with my Dad before finishing my post and then seeing yours!

I guess a new carb in in the cards for my almost antique leaf blower.

LOL... probably next year. :)

Poppy

Flashaholic
Sounds like it might be the fuel pickup in the tank... sometimes they break off or get cracks in the line. It's the green item on the right side in the picture above.
Maybe... my neighbor gave it to me. I had to replace the fuel line.
It's not as flexible as it once was.
Maybe that is the problem again.

Maybe there is a crack I didn't see. That certainly makes sense.

In the mean time I am burning oiled gas in my 4 cycle lawnmower. I'm almost done with it. I Didn't want to store it considering that I might toss the leaf blower.
Man, that unit is 40 years old and smokes a little until it heats up... you should see that baby now!
:)

No mosquitos want to live in my back-yard!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
back when i was 10 or so id find and fix stuff for fun and to learn how. but i think we had regular gas back then. is it better then ethenal .? ps first thing i learned was dont put gas in a styrofoam cup lol.

turbodog

Flashaholic
back when i was 10 or so id find and fix stuff for fun and to learn how. but i think we had regular gas back then. is it better then ethenal .? ps first thing i learned was dont put gas in a styrofoam cup lol.

For the most part, no. And yes, gasoline will eat through that pretty fast.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I remember leaded gas, you had to clean spark plugs because they would get dirty but unleaded gas the plugs would be clean compared to leaded gas. Back then there was "regular" and unleaded gas. Now there is "regular" and ethanol free or no ethanol gas. Times have changed.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I remember leaded gas, you had to clean spark plugs because they would get dirty but unleaded gas the plugs would be clean compared to leaded gas. Back then there was "regular" and unleaded gas. Now there is "regular" and ethanol free or no ethanol gas. Times have changed.

I vaguely remember leaded gas disappearing in the early to mid 1980s.

Ethanol-free gasoline on the other hand is rare in my area. Surprisingly, there's a station some ~20 miles away that sells it - might be worthwhile to buy 5-10 gallons on an annual basis for outdoor power equipment and to keep on standby for a generator if I ever procure one.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I was with him until he said 'we all know'. Sorry, that's making an assumption, a bridge too far.

Think I said this already, but I'll come back here and say it again. Yes, ethanol will attract water from the air (hence my reminder to use tightly sealed jugs and keep tanks full). But it also will take water in your tank, mix with it, and carry it through the engine, removing it from the fuel system.

https://cropwatch.unl.edu/ethanol-and-water-contamination-%E2%80%94-comparing-water-removal-additives

In the 'conclusion' section:

Unlike pure gasoline, ethanol blends can hold small amounts of water in solution which is then run through the engine harmlessly. In pure gasoline small amounts of water can build up in the tank.

markr6

Flashaholic
I just emptied my trimmer and ran it dry best I could. Then I ran a tiny amount of Tru-Fuel through before storage. Hopefully that makes sense and starts easy next year.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I just emptied my trimmer and ran it dry best I could. Then I ran a tiny amount of Tru-Fuel through before storage. Hopefully that makes sense and starts easy next year.
I've never emptied fuel out of my blower and with the exception of a few years I had some issues the last few years I only use it in fall to blow leaves and it has started easily.