European regulations requiring user-replaceable batteries

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened
I've just heard that the European Union will require (by 2030 or so) that all batteries in consumer products shall be user-replaceable without use of special tools, solvents or heat. As a flip phone owner who's actually taken advantage of being able to swap batteries without tools, I think I like this notion. Even my wrist watch has a user-changeable battery in it. But I also have several small flashlights that are glued shut or otherwise difficult to access the battery.

I wonder what effects we'll see on the small flashlight market. Or, maybe there is some language that will effectively make the life of the battery the life of the product?

You recall, the EU is also the reason that cell phone chargers moved away from 1023 different proprietary plugs to USB. Likely these regulations will have world-wide effects.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I think that overall it's a good idea, but think that there are going to be some intersections between reality and idealism that will end badly.

They could have just said replaceable with reasonable tools by repair shops for modest fees and we would be good (no glue in other words).

I mean, this rule doesn't even hold true for your vehicle battery.

I've got a solar rechargeable watch... this is gonna be a BIG problem for those particular devices.

It's like the 1980's all over again... broken battery doors on all devices held closed with tape.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had two LG FlipPhones for 17 years and a Qualcom that allowed me to replace the batteries. Loved them. I have smaller Nikon and Sony cameras still, which allow me to change my own and those are fine while I can still find them.

4.5 year old iPhone XS Max and I'm still 'at' 93% and the Apple store drone told me that they won't replace them until they hit 80%, regardless of my wanting to do so, so I'm out of luck, even though the phone works well for me.

I don't think 93% is reality, but that's what they told me.

Chris

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I've got a solar rechargeable watch... this is gonna be a BIG problem for those particular devices.
Depends on the specifics of how special tools is defined. Pretty sure that precision screwdrivers and a simple prying tool won't be classed as such. A watch case claw tool probably isn't in everyone's toolbox but unlike a certain OEM's pentalobe screwhead bits it's readily available on the open market from many suppliers for a modest sum.

yeoldoak

Newly Enlightened
Generally with E waste, theres nothing worse than battery powered devices being made
redundant purely because the batterys end of life, and nothing wrong with the device
itself, and those that can be got into having to need an expensive
proprietary tool, that is deliberately designed to hinder and capitalize for
financial gain by the manufacture. There will be room for amendment and this
goes in favour of the consumer, as far as I see this is a good direction to go, maybe it
will help slow our insatiable appetite for the resources, not to mention the lack
of space to dispose off waste, we export some of our waste to other countrys
and leave them to deal with, so if this works towards helping overall ? thumbs up

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
The idea itself is good, but everything will depend on the exact wording. For example, consider this part as the entire battery, or make it possible for the user to climb inside and easily remove and replace the individual elements themselves?

1702191346388.png

For example, my friend's battery for a screwdriver died, I was able to disassemble it with a screwdriver, but it was also filled with compound, and when I disassembled it, it turned out that all the batteries were connected to each other by spot welding. There were 4/5 SC NiCd batteries inside. If make such a block disassembled by the user, then you do not need to use welding, but contact springs or connectors with soldered wires. This will increase the number of failure points as hand tools fall frequently and so does the cost. And there will also be a problem of selecting identical elements to assemble a new battery; not everyone has the desire to tinker with this

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not yet heared of that, around here
but in general seems a good idea.
But it will be killed, a usual, from the tiny not-knowing-horizont of our politicians.
Explanation, be4 You type I am only negative:
as the MUST for the usb-c charging plug was mentionned...
in general a good ideal,
but totally screwed!
There should have been an evaluation what is present:
Micro usb: working, but flimsy,
Apple plug: in general quite good, but not enough space between the contact plates, and
Usb-c: better than Micro-USB, but also the Problem of that hollow plug crap.
And in the end the solution should have been a plug in the size of usb-c, but only an outside contact plates "stick" like the Apple lightning plug.
That were the one working ultimate solution universal plug.
But the persons have/had no clue, so just decided between existing versions, which all have their - known - faliures each.
:(

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
The idea itself is good, but everything will depend on the exact wording. For example, consider this part as the entire battery, or make it possible for the user to climb inside and easily remove and replace the individual elements themselves?

View attachment 53913

For example, my friend's battery for a screwdriver died, I was able to disassemble it with a screwdriver, but it was also filled with compound, and when I disassembled it, it turned out that all the batteries were connected to each other by spot welding. There were 4/5 SC NiCd batteries inside. If make such a block disassembled by the user, then you do not need to use welding, but contact springs or connectors with soldered wires. This will increase the number of failure points as hand tools fall frequently and so does the cost. And there will also be a problem of selecting identical elements to assemble a new battery; not everyone has the desire to tinker with this
it would not apply to a power tool battery, cuz the pack is a battery, not a battery powered device.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
they did say special tools, (probably like 3 and 5 star screwdrivers for i phone, security torx, spline keys....etc) but a common pozi drive, or a flat screwdriver are not special tools, they are common tools. pretty much every toy today require a screwdriver to open battery compartment

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
This will have limited effect until they address the real problem, proprietary batteries. You can require all cell phones to have user replaceable batteries, but if each model uses a different platform battery that goes out of style/ becomes obsolete (is no longer made) by the time you need a replacement, you still have to buy an entirely new phone. Same thing goes for power tool batteries, batteries for $6,000 electric riding lawnmowers, and all the new random stuff that takes a proprietary 18650, etc. Planned obsolescence to get customers to spend more on a more expensive replacement device is still a marketing strategy.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Proprietary batteries isn't an issue at all, no different than every car uses parts made for that year model. there is a huge aftermarket where there is a demand. same will go for batteries. the law does not require manufacturers sell oem replacements. they may if they chose. However it will give them an incentive to more or less standardize batteries, but it also may not.