FAA to impose civil penalties

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
We've had a $5000 fine in some states here in Australia for just having a laser pointer full stop for 3 years now (only allowed in certain professions). Bit over the top in my opinion.

We've also had people being arrested numerous times for 'lasering' aircraft in the past few years. This I believe to be fully justified and it's about time you guys caught up to be honest, it's incredibly dangerous.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
needs to be done. high powers are easily available, and at wavelengths that the eye is especially sensitive to.

andyw513

Enlightened
Just my two cents, but this should have been imposed years ago, back when high-powered devices first sprang into popularity and became widely available. People may argue that an accidental 'lasing' of an aircraft may have been user error and should be taken into consideration when the FAA or some other organization comes knocking, but it is your job to ensure it is used safely and in accordance to laws and regulations.

Just as it is your job to keep your car or bike in the proper lane while driving or safely point a firearm while hunting/shooting, it should be understood that these things aren't toys and have the potential to harm people permanently when misused.

Last edited:

purplequark

Newly Enlightened
Just my two cents, but this should have been imposed years ago, back when high-powered devices first sprang into popularity and became widely available. People may argue that an accidental 'lasing' of an aircraft may have been user error and should be taken into consideration when the FAA or some other organization comes knocking, but it is your job to ensure it is used safely and in accordance to laws and regulations.

Just as it is your job to keep your car or bike in the proper lane while driving or safely point a firearm while hunting/shooting, it should be understood that these things aren't toys and have the potential to harm people permanently when misused.

responsibility is what is needed and is sadly lacking

fyrstormer

Banned
We've had a $5000 fine in some states here in Australia for just having a laser pointer full stop for 3 years now (only allowed in certain professions). Bit over the top in my opinion.

We've also had people being arrested numerous times for 'lasering' aircraft in the past few years. This I believe to be fully justified and it's about time you guys caught up to be honest, it's incredibly dangerous.
Personally I think the solution is not to impose strict regulations and high fines for mere ownership, but instead to literally beat the tar out of anyone who demonstrates poor judgement in the usage of their personal property.

On a slightly humorous side note, I was wandering around an aircraft museum on the grounds of the Dulles International Airport last weekend and I saw green laser pointers flicked across the surfaces of aircraft from time to time. I made my annoyance rather loudly known...and then I found out they were being used by tour guides to point out interesting features on the aircraft they were describing to tourists. Turns out some people do have legitimate use for them after all.

Last edited: