Fake Ultrafire 18650 battery warning

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Possibly Fake Ultrafire?

What qualifies as "decent" then in your estimation? Does a cell merely have to charge to what appears to be a "full" voltage? Run a light for a while?

Or have you taken a bunch of Ultrafire cells and put them on various loads with a logging voltmeter or battery workstation of some sort to see how they stand up to the sort of use you'll put them too?

I consider Ultrafire cells an unnecessary risk and potentially dangerous, as well as being poor value for money. Cheaply made, often fraudulently advertised, is no bargain.

they run lights as bright and as long as eagtac 18650 and charge fine and hold a charge

I would never, ever order an ultrafire myself, I just happen to have a bunch from that mistake shipment
a friend got and ended up with 50 new ultrafires. immediately charged and tested them for charge
holding and they are fine. and guess what ? the labels on them are different than any ultrafire pictured here in this thread.
so who knows which is the real slim shady ultrafire 18650 ? maybe mine are counterfeit ? they were packed nicely in sealed mylar

anyway, they work great. would I buy them ? hell no !

I consider Ultrafire cells an unnecessary risk and potentially dangerous

ditto...I will carefully use what I have now and again, but they are going to be backups

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast

Question for anyone owning Ultrafire 18650
-------------
The ones I recently obtained:

a) were individually wrapped in nickel mylar
b) have blue labels
c) the cathode cap is laser etched with the ultrafire logo and close scrutiny reveals it is very accurate

Does anyone else have laser etched logo on the negative terminal of the Ultrafire 18650 ?
The entire box of 50 have them.

[this seems to be what a company would do to help sort out counterfeits.]

Flashlight Enthusiast

The UltraFires I tested has logo on the bottom, but I do not believe that it is made with a laser.

lets put it this way...mine have etching that a laser could have done. how it was actually done I don't know.

just wondering...I still won't buy ultrafires for myself, and don't really trust the ones I got for free. now after
seeing the laser forums pictures of fake ultrafire....dang I might just throw mine out, laser-logo or not. for now I am
keeping them in the skyrayking and will keep cracking it open and testing volts on all 4 cells and see what gives...

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast

Why would any company produce cheap, fraudulent knock-offs of lousy batteries anyway? It seems to me you'd want to label them with a good name brand if you were going to try and sell them dishonestly, not a questionable name.....

Whats up with that?

Shadowww

Banned

Why would any company produce cheap, fraudulent knock-offs of lousy batteries anyway? It seems to me you'd want to label them with a good name brand if you were going to try and sell them dishonestly, not a questionable name.....

Whats up with that?
Fakes of name-brand batteries are way easier to distinguish from real ones, because real Panasonic's / Sanyo's etc even look high quality, you can tell it by feeling of shrink-wrap etc.. hard to describe, but hold a genuine NCR18650A in your hand and it'll have some kind of high-quality feeling to it. D:

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast

I prefer AW. I threw my "ultrafire" cells away.

treliving

Newly Enlightened

I just bought some ultra fire 18650's. Are these batteries dangerous? Could they explode or do damage to my flashlight? I have read in this threat that people say it's unsafe to use ultrafire's in a multi cell product. If poor quality a poor performance is all i have to worry about then i will just use them till they are toast and then buy AW's as it seems that people consistantly rate them high. Any input on my ultra fire's are much appreciated.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

i will just use them till they are toast and then buy AW's.
Lithium batteries get damaged when the voltage drops below 2.7V. Never run them as long as you can like disposable alkaline. Recharge often long before they are depleted.

ARA

Enlightened

I get these for the equivalent of $1 can't complain much about at that price. I have some AWs' as well but since the recent shipping ban (i am not in the US) i'll have to make do with these to feed my M6s. Compared to some salvaged laptop batteries and the AWs these are pretty light weight. Give me around 20 mins on high power on my M6LT before flickering. I'll let the pic speak for itself.

Shadowww

Banned

I am looking for some 4x cheap unprotected 18650 to power an usb charger, do these battery`s look ok, ebay item 221032078907

Thanks

John.
That's a bad choice. Get unprotected cell from brand-name manufacturers, such as (alphabetical order, with no specific preference) LG, Panasonic, Samsung, Sanyo, Sony.
They'll last you much longer (both in terms of cycle life, and per-cycle capacity), and they are also safer, because they have high quality control.

Seeing that you need 4 of them, I'd recommend you following eBay lots:
If you want maximum possible capacity: 221146637914 which'll give you 48 Watt-hours of power at $52
If you want most capacity-per-dollar: either 180890419066 or 350585947314, both of which will give you approx. 35 Watt-hours of power at $22

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, the charger i ordered says to use non-protected batterys or the charger will be damaged, it`s supposed to have it`s own protection built in, the two cheaper option one says it`s protected and the other the negative end looks protected even though it does not say so.

This is the charger i ordered, ebay item 271073382603

John.

Flashlight Enthusiast

I get these for the equivalent of $1 can't complain much about at that price. I have some AWs' as well but since the recent shipping ban (i am not in the US) i'll have to make do with these to feed my M6s. Compared to some salvaged laptop batteries and the AWs these are pretty light weight. Give me around 20 mins on high power on my M6LT before flickering. I'll let the pic speak for itself.

OMG that is the fakest of the fake battery I have ever seen !

#1 logo incorrect
#2 3800mah is currently impossible in 18650 format

I bet if ripped open there is a tiny battery wired up inside

Last edited:

Shadowww

Banned

Thanks for the info, the charger i ordered says to use non-protected batterys or the charger will be damaged, it`s supposed to have it`s own protection built in, the two cheaper option one says it`s protected and the other the negative end looks protected even though it does not say so.

This is the charger i ordered, ebay item 271073382603

John.
You can use protected batteries in that charger with no problem, protection doesn't in any way interacts with anything except for the cell that it protects.

ARA

Enlightened

Yeah i know they are ****, i just use them in single battery configurations. CR123s are expensive here and i prefer keeping my battery costs low to fund my hobbies. :nana:

Last edited by a moderator:

dra90n

Newly Enlightened
I bought what I now know was a fake, red packaging with suposedly 3100mah capacity. It didn't have the 'Ultrafire' branding on the negative. It also said it was protected but simply had a carboard 'ring' where the protection circuit was!

They were swiftly disposed of!

Caveat emptor for cheap 18650 ebay purchases!