Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Let's rename this Sub Forum from Budget Lights to Fantastic Value Flashlights

Tell us what you think,, :thumbsup:

thanks

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I could work if we could all come to a consensus on what "value" means.
A Malkoff M60, in a bored 6P with an 18650 to me represents a fantasctic value... not everyone would agree.

Last edited:

wdc1

Newly Enlightened
I think its a good idea but very subjetive as told before.

Even "budget" its subjetive sometimes.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Why use three words when two words describe the forum precisely, keep in mind not all the lights in the Budget forum would be considered "Fantastic Value".
Norm

AlphaZen

Enlightened
I don't like the idea of renaming it, because it encompasses both good and bad values at a budget price. That being said, I would love a thread that people comment on their budget lights that they consider a fantastic value. It wouldn't have to be as in-depth as the Must-Have list, but something similar to help each other find the true values in the budget price range.

wreckless1

Newly Enlightened
I could work if we could all come to a consensus on what "value" means.
A Malkoff M60, in a bored 6P with an 18650 to me represents a fantasctic value... not everyone would agree.

I would agree if while pulling out of the parking lot it rolled off the trunk lid of your car unto my front seat. Now that's real bang for your buck.

Last edited:

richpalm

Banned

Uhhh.. no. No way I'd spend that much, or half, on a Malkoff. If we could wipe out the prejudice of moneyed people that think you have to spend hundreds on a 1-AAA 50 lumen Super Inhaler Mark X titanium pocket light, and those that automatically marginalize inexpensive lights as junk that those of us that aren't in the ruling elite can't afford, things would be a lot nicer. OK, I'll say the thread-closer... FLASHLIGHT RACISTS!!! :laughing:

Now, my L2P's that I built 4A triples into; whole thing with battery for ~$75, and the Skyray triple XML that destroys any shelf queen I ever had, that's a good value!

Rich

Greta

Flashaholic
FLASHLIGHT RACISTS!!! :laughing:

:laughing:... good term! :twothumbs ... and as it turns out... just like with any kind of racism, it goes both ways. It always cracks me up how the guys who just love their budget lights (and really... who doesn't love a good deal?!?!) absolutely ABHORE the "moneyed people"... :shakehead ... just smacks of jealousy to me... even if it isn't. Let's face it... those who "have" are "racist" against those who "don't have"... but those who "don't have" are equally "racist" against those who "have"... 'tis the way of the world... and to each his own... and different strokes for different folks... and beauty is in the eye of the beholder... and one man's trash is another man's treasure... and... well... you all get the point... :grin2:

So... can't we all just get along? ;) :poke:

richpalm

Banned
:laughing:... good term! :twothumbs ... and as it turns out... just like with any kind of racism, it goes both ways. It always cracks me up how the guys who just love their budget lights (and really... who doesn't love a good deal?!?!) absolutely ABHORE the "moneyed people"

So... can't we all just get along? ;) :poke:

Yeah, you're right!! Guess I'd make a good "comrade!"

That's enough from me! Still love many lumens for few $$$! :cool:

Rich

tzt

Newly Enlightened
Almost all the $50 range lights coming out from china right now (usually w/ xml's) blow away the prior gen ones of any price and branding.

Most of the problems w/ "budget lights" come from people who pay like $10-15 including intl shipping from the absolute lowest price vendor and expect to get a highly polished product. It's not until you reach the ~30usd level shipped that you get healthy enough margins where the lights aren't being made in backyard scrap shops and the details are done to western standard, but once you hit that level it ironically opens the floodgates for supposedly "high end" products for not that much more. For example, an Olight m3x equivalent is being sold for that price above.

richpalm

Banned
Almost all the $50 range lights coming out from china right now (usually w/ xml's) blow away the prior gen ones of any price and branding.

No question that the lights are getting better and better, and so are some of the sellers. I placed 3 orders with Manafont and had them all in hand within 2 weeks; they shipped same/next day. Remember I'm the guy that would "never do overseas" but that changed with these folks.

Also no question that there's lots of junk-stick to CPF and BLF recommendations and reviews.

Rich