Favorite blues song

bykfixer

Flashaholic
bykfixer, I don't know what "the waves are flat" means. Pardon my ignorance. Can you explain?
When the wind is right, the moon is right, the tide is right and the shape of the sandy bottom of the ocean near the shore, waves are very rideable hence the term "surf's up".
If the sandy bottom has become flat, the wind is blowing across the waves, the tide isn't ideal and other factors, the waves hitting the shore line are small, short in duration or just roll along like a small wake behind a boat that's when "the waves are flat". And that's when surfers feel bummed out. Hence that blues song with a 60's surfer music sound caused me to say "it's a flat waves surfer song".

bykfixer

Flashaholic
After listening to Paul Butterfield, I decided white boys can play the snot out of a harmonica, so I went out and bought Honer harps in the key of C and G, and B flat..
Shake Your Money-Maker https://g.co/kgs/JwaoMq

Unknown to most CG is Police guitartist Andy Summers used to be quite the blues guitarist. No kidding. The guitar Jimi Hendrix used at that famous WoodStock show he bought from Andy Summers.

The Police broke up because Sting and Stewart Copeland constantly bickered over little things and Andy said "quit bickering or I'm leaving". Sting was the front man but it was actually Andy who started the band.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
When the wind is right, the moon is right, the tide is right and the shape of the sandy bottom of the ocean near the shore, waves are very rideable hence the term "surf's up".
If the sandy bottom has become flat, the wind is blowing across the waves, the tide isn't ideal and other factors, the waves hitting the shore line are small, short in duration or just roll along like a small wake behind a boat that's when "the waves are flat". And that's when surfers feel bummed out. Hence that blues song with a 60's surfer music sound caused me to say "it's a flat waves surfer song".
Ahh, got it. Thanks for the explanation.

Bogie

Enlightened
Not a blues fan by any means other than recognizing big hits from movies mostly. But I found Seasick Steve a few years back and really dug him.