Favorite Brand of Barn Lights?

PsychLight

Newly Enlightened
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for some new barn lights for my porch. Planning on remodeling it in a month or two. Suggestions? Thanks!

snowsam

Newly Enlightened
Northern Tool and Equipment has a line of barn lights that is fairly inexpensive. If budget is of primary concern, they are not bad lights.

brickbat

Enlightened
Yech. For that kind of money you can get the real deal. Check eBay, and you can find real porcelain-over-spun steel ones. Accept no substitutes - the modern ones are just cheap paint on steel.

SemiMan

Banned
Yech. For that kind of money you can get the real deal. Check eBay, and you can find real porcelain-over-spun steel ones. Accept no substitutes - the modern ones are just cheap paint on steel.

Actually the better ones would be an epoxy powder coat and if done well will last 25 years. Some are spun aluminum not steel, again better ones.

brickbat

Enlightened
Whatever. I'd still take an old porcelain on steel reflector over any of those 'new' choices...

Last edited:

KXA

Newly Enlightened
When I think of barn lights, a 175W mercury vapor area light (type V) comes to mind. That's what we called them in the electrical contracting world.

SemiMan

Banned
Except now it's a 50W LED :) .... and they still call them barn lights.

brickbat

Enlightened
Yep, that's an "area light" (and a God-awful one at that). In the parlance of 2015, "barn light" = a look that resembles the old-style porcelain-on-steel reflector. The architype having a green outer surface and white inner belly... MUST be real porcelain to be worth a crap, IMNSHO...

SemiMan

Banned
In the lighting industry, KXA's description of barn light is the norm ... At least from a product description standpoint.

KXA

Newly Enlightened
In the lighting industry, KXA's description of barn light is the norm ... At least from a product description standpoint.

Yep, that's what I meant. The wattage and lamp type was immaterial.