Favorite budget light 2022

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I know nothing about Convoy, but...

Does the manufacturer state / claim what Al alloy they're made from? Most of your lights are likely '6061 T6' (hopefully), but if unspecified, could be melted down scrap from old lawn chairs - or anything else:)

I don't recall that they do specify.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Bought perhaps one of the few budget lights I will buy this year at Target today. Actually 3 lights in one package for $12.49.
C2DAC8C5-2A05-4BFA-929F-D5D9D27FC3FC.jpeg

They are you get what you pay for plastic body lights that I bought as just in case lights, not expecting anything robust or exciting.
They twist focus like a Maglite and like a Maglite the spot size adjusts while spill is about the same. Not a zoomie.

The tailcap forward clicky is soft and can momentary. I bought them for the runtimes of the 2aa lights but will probably use the 1aaa the most.

3_gun

Enlightened
Sofirn SP10 V3 @ about $16 hits the mark for me. 1-1000L on a 14500, 1-300L on AA disposable OR rechargeables & a user friendly UI. Hard to beat + you can add a magnetic tail cap & diffuser n still be around $20 in total

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bought perhaps one of the few budget lights I will buy this year at Target today. Actually 3 lights in one package for $12.49.

They are you get what you pay for plastic body lights that I bought as just in case lights, not expecting anything robust or exciting.
They twist focus like a Maglite and like a Maglite the spot size adjusts while spill is about the same. Not a zoomie.

The tailcap forward clicky is soft and can momentary. I bought them for the runtimes of the 2aa lights but will probably use the 1aaa the most.
Looks like a great deal, definitely fits with my definition of "budget". Let us know how they work out.

I'm always on the lookout for low-cost lights including smaller/lighter (such as 1xAAA) that are as you call them, "just in case", good enough for usage conditions and no big deal if they get lost/broken etc.

Dave

bykfixer

Flashaholic
They're ok for extra lights but I would not gift them to someone who does not already have lights and needs something reliable. Not bad lights but just not something I'd count on in a serious jam so I would not give them away for that reason unless they already have reliable lights.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found this USB-chargeable pocket/keychain COB light in surplus section of a Canadian chain, originally $5 but further reduced to $2 (gone now). It is unfamiliar brand with no specs. Has low/high plus flash (annoying), ran 90-100 minutes on low setting which is respectable. I'd open it up, but appears sealed and would rather not damage it, even at the price.

Dave

1658414908189.jpeg

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a pair of Alpena LED Versa-pods for $6 on clearance OTC locally. Nothing exceptional, but interesting: 3xAAA,
four modes (white/high, white/low, amber/solid, amber/blink). Magnetic back with short elastic strap might be useful to
attach to a pole etc.

Dave

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazing little clip-on LED ("selfie") light from Dollar Tree for $1.25 ($1.50 in Canada).

It's USB rechargeable, powered by tiny 55-60mAh Li-ion. It has ten SMT white LEDs with three brightness settings,
plus red charging LED. Comes with short USB cable.

It ran for two hours on low setting, just starting to dim down. Holding on/off button when off makes it come on
in strobe mode.

Dave

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a Zebralight Sc52w that I bought off of a forum member for $25. Easily the best money I've ever spent on a flashlight. As you can see, it's been around the block and it's a little quirky at times, but for 25 bucks I consider this the greatest budget light.
76F7EC4E-36D1-4EB0-9A0B-91DC5374A594.jpeg

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazing little clip-on LED ("selfie") light from Dollar Tree for $1.25 ($1.50 in Canada).

It's USB rechargeable, powered by tiny 55-60mAh Li-ion. It has ten SMT white LEDs with three brightness settings,
plus red charging LED. Comes with short USB cable.

It ran for two hours on low setting, just starting to dim down. Holding on/off button when off makes it come on
in strobe mode.

Dave
My error, cell capacity marked is only .122Wh which is 33mAh. Inner cavity could allow a slightly larger cell if I can find one of
the right size.

Dave

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I found this USB-chargeable pocket/keychain COB light in surplus section of a Canadian chain, originally $5 but further reduced to $2 (gone now). It is unfamiliar brand with no specs. Has low/high plus flash (annoying), ran 90-100 minutes on low setting which is respectable. I'd open it up, but appears sealed and would rather not damage it, even at the price.

Dave

View attachment 30016
To me the Chip on Board light is one marvelous invention. I use one for up close work and it spreads light so well even the shadows my hands produce are greatly reduced from all of the light bounce. And they're inexpensive too.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not really sure what counts as budget these days.

Impressed with the Wurkkos TS10. But I think my favourite and most impressive light of 2022 so far is the Manker MC01.

Think it was £/$24 delivered. Very very nice light.

Also have to give a shout out for the Kaidomain Incan p60 drop in's. £3.36 per drop in. Got the 9v one and the 3.7v one. Truly impressive performance and shows how poor most LEDs are tint wise.

qXALoED.jpg

jz6342

Newly Enlightened
Mine choice has to be the Rovyvon A1x - super bright for it's size, good UI (takes a bit of getting used to and playing with though) that's never accidentally turned on on my pocket, and frighteningly easy to carry - I've sent one through the was already. All for around $20!
50F60934-F218-451A-8897-FF105161F3CE.jpeg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The Mag Solitaire sized lights are pretty bright these days jz when you add nitro. (ie lots of electricity)

I gave away a few Energizer touch light keychain lights one year.
B58E79C0-E3D9-4D9D-9832-251B07AEAC3F.jpeg

At $5 they weren't painful on the wallet and the 20 lumen beam is bright enough to cause an unwanted person within 5 feet to say "dawg gonnit that thing is blinding me" even in daylight.

Last edited:

J888www

Newly Enlightened
Just purchased a Manker E02II to replace my two Manker E02, then a two more Wurkkos WK02 as hosts for some Nichia 519A 5000k leds...........but all ended up in the drawer and still using my old BLF 348 Nichia flashlight.......
I'm a simple person with simple tastes, On/Off 1 Mode is all I can manage, even 3 modes is too much............all those gimmicky flashlights that do triple flip backward somersaults are basically gimmicks with many settings/modes which no one will use and only serve to confuse....but they sure do look purdy though.

syga

Newly Enlightened
Just bought a Sofirn SP10 Pro with a battery and charger.
The charger is a little cheesy.
Easily fits in a shirt pocket.
14500 and AA.
Took me a few days to figure out the Anduril ui floor and ceiling levels and steps. I got it set up to the exact brightness levels I want with 5 steps.
The lights not rechargable, so there are no rubber charge plugs, exactly what I wanted.
This turned out to be one of my favorite lights.

Last edited: