FCW #17 - A Flashaholic Get Together in NJ - Oct. 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, I just got this light from Dorcy, and I love it!! I'll be bringing it on the FCW camping trip for everyone to check out, but in the meantime here are my initial impressions of it.
This just might be my favorite camping lantern! But wait... you say it doesn't look like a lantern??? Correct you are, but look beyond the traditional cylindrical lantern style, and you will find that this is an awesome "lantern". One of the best features of this light is that you can direct the light exactly where you want it... and not where you don't want it... like in your eyes. --
And it's packed with features:
1. Ability to direct the light where you want it - not where you don't want it.
2. The led Kelvin color is a pleasing neutral to slightly warm. Perhaps 3,000 ish range. It's a great color for this type of light, not cold and harsh.
3. It has a magnetic base, and a small spot to magnetically hold things like screws.
4. It has a handle and two hooks.
5. It's surprisingly light weight, yet stable, and not likely to fall over.
6. It contains a large battery to match it's high output, and give it long run times.
7. The frosted lens helps disperse the high output, and cut down on the overpowering glare that some lanterns are prone to.
8. Well dispersed, smooth output with no hot spots or distinct cutoff. (great wall of light - easily lights a whole room evenly)
9. Obviously it's rechargeable - and can be used as a power source to charge your phone or other items.
10. Super bright on highest setting (seems even brighter than the stated 1300 lumens), and super long runtime on lowest setting. Various settings in between.

This is a fantastic light, in my opinion it is one of, (if not the best) "area light", work light or alternative to a lantern that I've seen. I very highly reccomend it.

g
flex1.jpg
flex2.jpg

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, Here is another stand out light I received from Life+Gear. I'll be bringing it on the FCW camping trip for everyone to check out. In the meantime, here are my initial thoughts/impressions.

It's amazing to me how far flashlights have come. It's probably a lot longer than it seems to me, but I clearly remember having to modify a light to get a reliable 200+ lumens out of it! I guess I'm getting old. LOL

When I look at this light I think that this is the type of flashlight every house should have, it's the perfect flashlight for your Mom, or brother-in-law who dosen't know much about flashlights other than how to turn it on. LOL (and "that guy" will love this light because you don't even need to replace the batteries). -It has a built in Lithium Ion battery that can be used to charge other devices as well. No worries with dead or low charge left on Metal Nickle Hydride, or worse yet, leaking Alkalines.
The output is 220 lumens from the front end, and this light also has a frosted lantern mode - which is quite bright in white, and also offers a steady red as well as flashing red for the lantern mode. It's recharged via USB-A / Micro USB, and offers an indicator light to show when it is fully charged.

Why I like it - It's just a simple design that anyone will be able to use. It offers many more features than a "standard" flashlight. The easily recharged Lithium Ion batteries offer long standby time while this light sits around waiting to be used - and no worries of the leaky alkaline issues. It has a flat side to keep it from rolling away, and a loop off the back end for hanging. It can be used to recharge your phone or other device. It's an excellent general use / "family friendly" flashlight that would make a great addition to any home... Flashaholic or not.

landg220.jpg

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might have a new car by then. As much as it's gonna cost me, I'll be spending many nights sleeping in it

scout24

Flashaholic
I would love nothing more than to attend, but Saturday is the Pennsylvania deer archery opening day. I'll be in a tree... 😊 🦌

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
I switched shifts and can't get Friday off so I'll be coming Saturday morning.

Anyone like Dive Lights I just found this antique at an Estate sale, no corrosion inside

Attachments

• bug400.jpg
    bug400.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 123

scout24

Flashaholic
If you look below at "similar threads" you'll see threads dedicated to past FCW's. Should be good pics in the last couple pages of each thread.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
I came across this old Dorcy lantern, and was impressed with the effort that went into the "box art / photos" They just don't make boxes like this anymore! LOL Anyway I thought it could use a little humor, and so I offer up what I think goes along with the photo. :yellowlaugh: Enjoy...

2kids.jpg

KID #1: Just look at my Dorcy lantern, I could stare at it all night!
KID #2: This is what camping is all about man.
KID #1: I bet this thing is putting out like 40 or 50 lumens!
KID #2: What the hell is a lumen?
KID #1: Something they come up with in the future.
KID #2: Who's "they"?
KID #1: Never mind, just keep staring at it.

Stan671

Enlightened
I will be making pancakes (with butter and syrup) for everyone Saturday morning.

On Sunday morning I can cook alot of bacon if someone want to suplement that with a bunch of screambled eggs, that woud be cool.

Or we could switch days. We can discuss it Friday night.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Several of you told me that you got a good laugh at the dialogue I made up for the kids on the lantern box, so I made up some more for a picture on the other side of the box. LOL
d2.jpg

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will be making pancakes (with butter and syrup) for everyone Saturday morning.

On Sunday morning I can cook alot of bacon if someone want to suplement that with a bunch of screambled eggs, that woud be cool.

Or we could switch days. We can discuss it Friday night.
Awesome! Stan the Pancake Man!! Sounds great Stan - thanks in advance! I will bring a couple extra eggs to go along with that bacon! Perhaps if everyone brings an extra egg or too we will have plenty. I'll bring a big pan to cook some eggs as well.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
We are getting close to the FCW date! The weather is looking great! Mid 60's to about 70 during the day which is great camping weather. And nice and cool at night - down to about 50 for the over night low - great evening temps to enjoy a campfire. Speaking of cool evenings and campfires - if you have the ability to bring some good clean (bug free) wood, please do so. I called to confirm with Worthington, and they do have firewood for sale.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everybody have a great camping trip.

FYI, the Eastern Tech Gathering is happening at my place on October 16th. If you have not been in the ETG Facebook Group and want to come please send me an email to [email protected] or join the Group.

If I can stop by the camping trip I will.

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cant expressed how disappointed I am to not have been able to make it. Spent the Saturday afternoon and evening at my buddy's "celebration of life" that was supposed to go from 2-4...it went on into the evening after traveling to a few favorite haunts and reliving good times! I had hoped to come up for a while today but that didn't work out either 😟.
Hopefully I'll be able to make the next one. Looking forward to seeing some pics!!

200.gif

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've missed another sigh..;( Good intentions but overwhelmed with work on my Green Acres. In the future I do hope.

Karl