FCW-6 Flashaholics Camping Weekend! NJ, PA, NY + AREA on 6/10/10 - 6/13/10

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
wink2.gif
FCW-6 Flashaholics Camping Weekend :grouphug:

FCW-6 is the 6th Flashaholics Camping Weekend, which is open to just about anyone who would like to attend!

Due to the overwhelming positive response from the first five FCW's, it's time for FCW-6! And so, I bring you the details of FCW-6.

WHEN: JUNE 10th - 13th, 2010 (Thursday-Sunday)

Check in time on Thursday 6-10-09 is stated at no earlier than 3pm as per Hickory Run. Check out is on Sunday 6-13-10 by 3pm. Daytime average temp is 74 and average night temp is 48. It's cool enough to enjoy a campfire, and less buggy than the hot summer months.

:drool: As an added bonus this weekend is a new moon weekend, which means no visible moon. This will make it super dark up there. Perfect for our lights, and it offers amazing star gazing!

:candle: So three nights, or if you can only make it for one or two, that's fine, or if you don't want to stay over night, then you can come and hang out, stay for some campfire cooked hot dogs, and leave whenever.

WHERE: Back by popular demand... Hickory Run State Park in PA, which has proven to be a great venue, and yes, I have secured the coveted sites 6-11. Here is a link to the campground map: http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...ryrun_camp.pdf

For anyone not familiar with Hickory Run, it is one of the premier state parks on the east coast. And we will be staying in arguably the nicest sites in the park. I've booked the whole area, which gives us privacy from other campers, yet still keeps us within a reasonable (walk able) proximity to the modern flush toilet equipped bathrooms and trash dumpster.

Hickory Run offers many hiking trails, fishing lakes and streams, a FROLF course (frisbee golf), waterfalls, and a natural wonder, Bolder Field, which is a National landmark. Please check out the Hickory Run website for more info: http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...ickoryrun.aspx

WHO: While this event is created for CPF members, family and friends are always welcome. But no pets are allowed at our sites.

COST: :broke: To keep things simple this year the cost is only $25 per person for the whole weekend! Yes that's right, only $25 for three nights/four days of camping! Everyone is responsible for there own food/drink.

Don't want to stay overnight, no problem, come join us for a day, and stay till it gets dark, have a hotdog over the fire, and don't forget your flashlights! Day / evening visit (not overnight) - $10 per person.

I don't do this to make money, so if there is money left over it will be put towards buying a new tarp or for firewood or something for the camping trip, just as I have done in the past.

EQUIPEMENT: :shrug: If you don't have a tent you can get one on sale at Wal-Mart for $29.99, or buddy up with someone who has a tent. And of course you'll need to bring a flashlight! Bring your own food and drink, and everything you will need to spend a few nights out in the woods. Nothing will be provided. The $25 secures the reservation and payment of all the camp sites, and gets us the best and most exclusive spots in the park.

WHAT IF I FORGET SOMETHING: :drool: No problem, there is a small "general store" located at within the park. You should be able to find most items you will need there, including toilet paper and even ice cream!

SPEAKING OF TOILET PAPER: :cool: Don't worry they do have clean modern flush toilet bathrooms with running water at the park, and they are within walking distance to our camp sites.

CELL PHONES: Yes, cell phones work fine from the camp site.
WHAT TO DO: :popcorn: Well along with the usual camping agenda of relaxing by a campfire, roasting marshmallows, etc., we just might play with some flashlights! LOL We could go on a hike, or better yet a night hike (just don't go and get lost this time... you know who you are! LOL

:drunk: Hickory Run is a state park, and therefore there is no alcohol allowed... officially. So, if you really want a drink, please do it very discreetly, and just know that if the park ranger does catch you, you he will ticket you and ask you to leave the park.
:whoopin:

For a whole bunch more information and some pictures from the first five FCW's check out those threads.

:caution: Please note that space is limited, and to assure your reservation you need to send me the $25 per person ASAP. And besides, I have already layed out the money for the full reservation and I would like to get it back before it showes up on my credit card. :eek: Please do so by sending me a PM here on CPF, and I will PM you back with either my snail mail address or my paypal address, so that you can secure your spot for what will surely be an awesome weekend!

--Tim (KartRacer31)

Stan671

Enlightened
Count me in for 3 people to start with for now, maybe more later. $75 via PaPal on the way.

To the showers question: Yes, there is a comfort station within easy walking distance of our sites. In there are flush toilets, hot and cold running water and showers. But since it is in the middle of a state park in the middle of the woods, it is not immaculately clean and there are some bugs here and there. But they are some of the nicest facilities I have come across in any campground.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Count me in Tim. PM sent for PayPal addy.

Dizzy, if you plan on attending, I'll bring you a huge bag of popcorn :laughing:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I sure wanna go (like Sabrewolf) but, I'll have to see. Tim, I'll get you the $ sooner rather than later.:thumbsup:

Karl

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, here is the official reservations list for the FCW-6 campout as of 3-10-10.

If your name is on this list it means I have received your payment, and you have a reserved spot for the campout.

Please PM me for either my snail mail address or my pay pal address to send payment.

ALSO - WHEN YOU SEND THE PAYMENT BY PAYPAL, PLEASE USE THE "GIFT" OPTION, SO THAT PAYPAL DOES NOT TAKE OUT ANY FEES, AND I GET THE FULL AMOUNT. THANKS

I'll continue to update this list in new posts throughtout this thread.

:caution: Space will be limited, so if you want to go sign up soon!

KartRacer31 - 2
Lighthouse one - 1

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI - I'm going to work on getting some give away for review items from various venders, similar to what I did for FCW-2. If you were not there, or didn't hear about it, check it out my ending recap of it here:

WOW, FCW-2 is over , I kinda feel like I gave birth! :laughing: As so many of you have stated a great deal of effort came into play to pull it off, but man was it so worth it! :party:
Thank you to everyone for all the kind words of appreciation , however, it was our sponsors that really made me look so good. Many thanks again to the following:

Battery Junction (in conjunction with SureFire, Inova & TerraLUX): www.batteryjunction.com
Battery Station: www.batterystation.com
Bright Guy: www.brightguy.com
Fenix-Store.com: www.fenixstore.com
Flashlights Unlimited: www.flashlightsunlimited.com
Light Hound: www.lighthound.com
Princeton Tec: www.princetontec.com
Streamlight: www.streamlight.com
Tek-Tite: www.tek-tite.com
TigerLight: www.tigerlight.net

Unfortunately Elektro Lumens stuff didn't get to us, hopefully he will be able to get us something for our next event.

And thanks to everyone for making FCW-2 such a great event! What a really great group of people! Special thanks to those of you who went out of your way to give me gifts to further express your appreciation. :thumbsup:

Thanks to all of you who took and posted pictures! Some really great shots! Please keep them coming!

Over the course of the weekend we had a total of 30 people attend. And despite some really dismal forecasts, the weather wasn't bad.

The giveaway-raffle went very well. All the kids "won" a gift pack which contained 4 small/inexpensive flashlights, which were provided by Lighthound. The rest of us had all Thursday night, all day Friday and Saturday morning to look over and test out all of the products. Saturday at noon we started the drawing, which included 4 rounds of giveaways! Yes that's right, we had enough items for every child to go home with 4 flashlights, and every adult was able to choose 3 items, and 80% of us were able to go home with 4 items before the goodies ran out! We also had an array of other free-bees including catalogues from Surefire, TerraLux, Inova and Streamlight. There were also pens, T-Shirts, magnets, screwdrivers, etc, etc. And everyone went home with a super bright LED keychain light from Lighthound. Luck of the first draw went to Doug, and he picked the UltraFire WF-500 from Lighthound, however the two most sought after items seemed to be the Fenix PD2 CE provided by Fenix-Store.com and the Luma Power D-Mini, provided by Battery Junction. Oh and for the last time... No the Luma Power MRV prototype is not part of the giveaway! Don't worry Matt, your awesome MRV prototype is safe and sound, and I'll get it back to you... next year. :crackup:

I was also able to demonstrate the Light with a Bite... The TigerLight! Their awesome new upgraded 375 lumen lamp assembly smart charger and premium battery (which by the way lasted all weekend on one charge), makes an awesome combination. And we were able to spray each other with the inert pepper spray all weekend! Keep an eye on the reviews section of CPF for my personal review and comparison of the original TigerLight VS the new upgraded version. And, don't worry AnimalHousePA (Jim), I wouldn't forget to let the nice folks at TigerLight know that you can hardly wait to take them up on their generous offer of 20% off on any TigerLight products for our event attendees.

I guess everyone had an awesome time, because we were all talking about the next camping trip (FCW-3) already! Well that's it from me for right now, but I look forward to seeing more picts, and reading everyone's reviews over in the reviews section here on CPF.

Thanks again to everyone for making FCW-2 such an awesome event! --Tim

and you can check out the full thread about FCW-2 here:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=146899

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Hi Tim,
I'm thinking of coming to FCW-6 this year but June is sooooo far away and too far from now for me to know for certain. In any case I'm not sure if I can get a ride (as usual) but this time I may be bringing along a friend who's somewhat new to flashlights...

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
:paypal:

Thanks for setting this up again Tim :twothumbs

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, here is the official reservations list for the FCW-6 campout as of 3-11-10.

If your name is on this list it means I have received your payment, and you have a reserved spot for the campout.

Please PM me for either my snail mail address or my pay pal address to send payment.

ALSO - WHEN YOU SEND THE PAYMENT BY PAYPAL, PLEASE USE THE "GIFT" OPTION, SO THAT PAYPAL DOES NOT TAKE OUT ANY FEES, AND I GET THE FULL AMOUNT. THANKS

I'll continue to update this list in new posts throughtout this thread.

:caution: Space will be limited, so if you want to go sign up soon!

KartRacer31 - 2
Lighthouse one - 1
Kid9P - 1

Last edited:

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I spent several hours today and tonight sending personalized emails to various manufacturers, dealers and venders asking for their support of FCW-6. I hope to get an even better response than we had for FCW-2 a few years ago.

Our very own CPF member Lighthouse one, has offered to donate one of his very cool personal custom hand made Drum Lights - Thanks Bill!

And my first offical response has come from the corporate offices of Princeton Tec. www.princetontec.com They have offered to put together some items for FCW-6. Thanks Princeton Tec! My most used light is actually a Princeton Tec Apex headlamp, I use it every night when I walk my dogs. Hey and don't forget that Princeton Tec also sponsored FCW-2! Welcome back Princeton Tec.

I'm sure many more offers from some of the finest manufacturers, dealers and vendors of flashlights and flashlight related products will follow, giving us an array of awesome products to use and review. Of course, check out their websites, and when you are ready to make your next flashlight or battery purchase, remember who supports our CPF community and its members events. Stay tuned --Tim

Last edited:

Mike@PTS

Enlightened
Hi Guys,
I just read a long email from Tim (KartRacer31) talking about the benefits of donating flashlights for your camping trip.

Tim you sure made it sound like a good investment for any flashlight company to donate!

I would be happy to donate some EagleTac, Fenix and Wolf Eyes flashlights for a free giveaway and real world impressions.

Tim contact me in May and I'll send the flashlights then.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank You Mike.....VERY generous of you. :twothumbs

lovecpf