• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Feeler for metal boot retaining ring for Macs tri-edc

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
okay, I think I posted more in a different thread, but we ran into an issue with the 11/16 UN threading.

I had left a copper tri at the shop for fitment, and before the rings were cut, the bar was tested for fitment into the light, and worked fine.
However, when testing the completed rings in other lights, it was discovered that the copper lights have all been closest to spec for the threading, and the other metals have been hit or miss.
so they may not work on some Ti lights. we have got another bar of Ti, and are switching up the design so it matches the threading of the switches. and looking at some other design tweaks...

the switches are way under spec so they all fit in fine, and the delrin rings were cut to match the under spec switches...

after lots of deburring and blasting, the threads got cleaned up enough to fit a few more lights, but still can't fit all of them, though I suspect if you ran an 11/16 UN bottoming tap on the tail then it would fit. I'll be doing this with some of mine I have left...

the blasted finish on these looks pretty cool. it nicely matched my jumbo knurly...

now, on the plus side, for those of you following the Sigma Customs thread on the 18650 Tri he's making, he's using the threaded retaining ring as well, but his lights are tapped for the tail switch, so this batch of rings will work as an upgrade to the Delrin rings.

Exeter354

Enlightened
That tool doesn't work with either the retaining ring or the mcclicky. The nose points are too big. But it works great with the varying types of Oveready tail inserts.

What you want with the retaining ring (and it works with the mcclicky too) is something more along the lines of this:

tweezers_zpswc2ytykg.jpg

Nutdip

Newly Enlightened
That tool doesn't work with either the retaining ring or the mcclicky. The nose points are too big. But it works great with the varying types of Oveready tail inserts.

What you want with the retaining ring (and it works with the mcclicky too) is something more along the lines of this:
:thumbsup:

Exeter354

Enlightened
My only concern about blasted finish is that it tends to scratch very easily. You have to be very careful when using tools to install and remove the ring. But I'm so excited about these that I'm down for any finish!

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I have them all at my house now. Just have 7 of the blasted the others are basically a machined finish. I need to do a little more thread cleaning, then I'll be creating a new thread.

Nutdip

Newly Enlightened
Well, I have them all at my house now. Just have 7 of the blasted the others are basically a machined finish. I need to do a little more thread cleaning, then I'll be creating a new thread.
I'm good with whatever. What's your paypal! (trying to sneak to the head of the line and running for the door now...) lol

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll post pp address in new thread, as it will be different than what I've been using.

Last edited:

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, can't believe it's been 2 months since my last post... anyway, I've got a new email address, and trying to get new paypal setup.

BratGuy Enterprises is almost ready.

also, these rings are confirmed to fit in the Sigma lights as well, and probably would work in the Hankos too if the threads are to spec.

for Mac's lights, all the copper ones I've had would take the rings fine, but the other metals are hit and miss as the threading Mac did was closer to the underspec McClickies, instead of the proper thread specs. for all the metals except Ti, you should be able to take a small round file and take the tops of the inner threads off to get the Ti ring to fit. for Ti not sure what's possible if it doesn't fit. I've got 2 Ti lights here, and it only fit one of them. another "beta test" tried in 3 Ti lights with no success.

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about shipping to Canada in an envelope? Any spots available?

all of these will go out by normal security envelope. since there is the fitment issue with some of the Mac's I want to make sure I have a return process setup for them if the owner cannot get it to fit.

Canada will not be a problem.