• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired <FEELER> Ice Cold P7

SR.GRINGO

Enlightened
Varooj,

I like it. I would be interested in a complete unit as well. You could offer an option as (A) uncomplete (B) complete? Why not make an estimate and get a sign up sheet for completed units? I will be good for at least one. :naughty:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
fivemega,

I have a P7 by Mac (single AW C-cell LiIon) & there's less heat generated than I expected when run in the high (2800 mA) setting. After ten minutes running, the area at the rear of the head is warm. After twenty minutes the warmth has spread rearward toward the switch.

The fins look cool (pun not intended) and would have some effect at longer run times.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
fivemega,

I have a P7 by Mac (single AW C-cell LiIon) & there's less heat generated than I expected when run in the high (2800 mA) setting. After ten minutes running, the area at the rear of the head is warm. After twenty minutes the warmth has spread rearward toward the switch.

The fins look cool (pun not intended) and would have some effect at longer run times.

:thinking:

I built a Mag2C P7 mod that was direct drive off three 4/5 SubCs. After 15 mins running continuously it gets so hot that it starts to get uncomfortable to hold. My finned Mag1C running at 3.3A is the same. Perhaps the extra meat of the D size Mag helps but I'm now a MagC guy. Feels so much nicer in the hand. Just wish the MagCs had the nice feeling switch like the Ds.

I can see FMs host being very effective for performance.

Last edited:

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
All looks good, exept that I dont like the C tail cap visualy.

C tailcap provides convinience and cost saving, but makes this look wrong.

It doesnt need to be there, as there is no extra bulb to hold...its to long and thin.

Another machined, and HA tailcap would be better looking,

If it was only a thin flat end cap peice with all the threads and spring going inside the tube, like the thinckness of one on the fins, then it would make the light shorter and easier to carry, and look better.

Of as, anothers have said, the fins could be tapered down towards the end cap to tie in with the c tailcap, and that may look right.

Emoli 26700 would be a nice alternative to run this on, as then 18650 lion could be used as backup.

Edwood

Enlightened
[

That's right but then I will have to make such a tail cap which will increase total cost and you will ask where is the bezel?

I think people will be willing to pay more for a matching tail cap, especially if it's a clicky switch and it makes the body even shorter. I'd be willing. ;)

Oh, and the bezel is right here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/201842 :D It's waiting for a better host.

And if I'm not mistaken, didn't you make an awesome crenelated aluminum Mag bezel before? :twothumbs

ambientmind

Enlightened
I'm in for at least one, great work FM! :thumbsup:
I agree that the tailcap looks a little out of place, but for this price I can't complain. Maybe you could make the body a little longer and have the tailcap recess part of the way into the body, just to hide some of it. Or like others have said, modify the last part and use a D size tailcap since its a little wider and shorter.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this is a great idea and it's nice to see you making LED hosts. One thing I would say is that the finned body is a little too aggressive and wide for my liking. I'd like maybe 4 or 5 fins at the top of the body that tapers down to a regular C thickness with some custom knurling or other design. This would still provide good heat sinking but make it more comfortable to hold.

This is a photoshop mock-up to illustrate. The ribbed pattern on the body could be left or replaced with something else.
30175462iw4.jpg

Last edited:

uluapoundr

Newly Enlightened
Monkeyboy,
That looks great! I'd be down for that. Another issue would be matching up the anodizing with the stock tailcap and bezel. I noticed FM's anodizing is slightly different from the M*g colors which is why I'd pay more for a custom tailcap, but if that's not an option, I'd still pay $50 for a cool looking and cool functioning host.

donn_

Flashaholic
I've been playing with single P7 lights quite a bit, and only one is able to run for extended periods and adequately deal with the heat:

001-100.jpg

FM's original finned FM3H. This lovely beast has not only a bunch of serious head mass, but some really deeeeep fins, and they completely dispense with the heat. The top of the BigLeef body doesn't even get warm.

The 3" smooth reflector is no slouch either, and really collects and throws the emitter's output.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Donn, interesting light you got there

How are you transfering the heat from the heatsink to the head? AA, or AS on the treads? How is the beam?

AlexGT