*Fenix 2015 product catalog*: lots of new lights!

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
OMG.... this is my first time seeing this. THIS IS WHAT WE WAIT FOR :)

Seriously, I've been pushing myself to wait and always wait more with lights these days. There is ALWAYS something better coming so don't jump on any of these expensive lights (unless you have tons of cash) unless you truly like every aspect of it. That single 26650 light and the mini TK75 type light look amazing. I wonder if that "mini" TK75 will kick out the LD60. Seems like they are both in a similar category. We'll see.

Palaeoboy

Newly Enlightened
And moonlight mode...on the camp light, but it's there :)

Actually I think that feature will spoil the intended purpose of this light.

I purchased the CL20 just to try it out and its been the most handy light I have bought in ages although the base battery door could do with a redesign which Fenix has actually said they are addressing in another thread. I am now really enthusiastic about Fenix announcement of other lantern offerings. I will definitely try the CL25R but I so see some problems with it and the moonlight mode one is at the top of the list. Im not a one lumen fan at the best of times but in a heavily diffused lantern the only thing is going to illuminate is itself so you know where it is in the dark. In a tent therefore this thing only kicks in at 50 lumens which is too bright when its right there above your head hanging in a dome tent. The 8 Lumen start of the CL20 is perfect for this with its next mode 50 Lumens. If you need a night light style mode to prevent any initial disorientation you can get in pitch black camping conditions the red mode of the CL20 offers that.

When you look at the higher end outputs it is virtually double that of a CL20. However concentrating light at one point at a camping table or whatever leads to annoyance and squinting. My advice here would be to buy two CL20s and have one at each end of te table for example and spread the light. Their magnet bases will stick them together for packing and I have been keeping them in a small lens case (but a sock would do) and with two separate light points they illuminate a room very evenly indeed. I have jokes that it looks like something out of start treck when I produce this round thing break it in half to produce separate illumination points to cover a larger area than one with a more concentrated light source. Volumewise 2 of the 2s isnt much bigger than one 25.

Another advantage is the snail design of the CL20 provides a more rounded illumination with the CL25R being a cylinder with the ends blanked off so with the CL20 you get more of a conventional rounded bulb effect with the CL25R I suspect it would be more of a worklight effect. To be honest I was hoping their 18650 lantern would be a larger domed version of the CL20. I wasnt expecting it to be totally different concept altogether. Micro USB charging is definitely a handy feature though from car lighter computer etc.

Naturally this is just first impressions and I could be totally wrong on the effectiveness of its illumination being a cylinder and time will tell but it certainly rang alarm bells when I saw it in this thread and thought a cylinder with blanked off ends isnt going to be as good as their earlier design. For me personally at least moonlight mode to 50 just for pr claims it can last a 1000 hours is not a good thing in a diffused camping lantern. That said they will still get a sale out of me just to try it LOL

hazza

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know if the CL25R will be able to recharge any 18650, or will it need one of the special Fenix cells like some of the UC flashlights?

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where did you read it can charge a 18650?

I think he's talking about how it says it's micro usb rechargeable. I (and he) wonder if it needs a special designed 18650 with both terminals on one side or if it can use any 18650.

I feel like Fenix almost gets everything right each time they make a light. This light needs to be neutral white and I don't see it listed as such. It is cool though that you could recharge it from a portable power pack or in a car if you are camping or in a power outage. If it's cool white then it's the same problem I had with the Streamlight siege, although you can hack that lantern to make it more or less neutral white (see my review in the lantern section of cpf).

kj2

Flashaholic
I think he's talking about how it says it's micro usb rechargeable. I (and he) wonder if it needs a special designed 18650 with both terminals on one side or if it can use any 18650.

I feel like Fenix almost gets everything right each time they make a light. This light needs to be neutral white and I don't see it listed as such. It is cool though that you could recharge it from a portable power pack or in a car if you are camping or in a power outage. If it's cool white then it's the same problem I had with the Streamlight siege, although you can hack that lantern to make it more or less neutral white (see my review in the lantern section of cpf).

Ahh, missed that line. Yeah in that case, option to charge any 18650 is preferred.

hazza

Newly Enlightened
Ahh, missed that line. Yeah in that case, option to charge any 18650 is preferred.

Definitely! I had a feeling (although not certain) that the UC35 could recharge any 18650, so I wondered if that's the way fenix are going with some of their rechargeable products. It would be nice!

spankone

Enlightened
It also looks like they've had a redesign of the bc30R, original prototype pictures showed extra buttons and a screen

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?388113-*-new-coming-prototype*-Fenix-BC30R

the version in the new catalogue has only 1 round button, but it looks a lot shorter and lighter than the bc30. I also wonder why it has a wrap around oring style mount, the bc30 bar mount is great. It doesn't make sense to me.

I was also hoping for a rear light so I could run a complete set of fenix bike lights

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I downloaded the 2015 .pdf. It looks like the LD41 is being upgraded again? It says 2015 version. I wonder if it's getting an XP-L emitter. I wonder if that honestly would make that much of a difference.

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one thing I don't like about the LD41 is that is uses a battery carrier. Once that carrier is broken the light becomes inoperable.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one thing I don't like about the LD41 is that is uses a battery carrier. Once that carrier is broken the light becomes inoperable.

Yeah... but you can probably get a new one from Fenix if that does happen. Most of Fenix's battery carrier lights work perfectly unless you seriously abuse it. I know some had their plastic changed that made them more durable, but overall lights like my E40 that use a carrier have never had any problems. Do note though that I take care of my lights and have never dropped my E40 on anything hard. From day to day use with no abuse they work perfectly.

nosoup4u

Newly Enlightened
Great find! I am new to the forum, but I have to ask: at 4200 lumens, what temperature would that flashlight head reach?