Fenix L0D Rebel vs. Cree outdoor shootout!

mchlwise

Enlightened
Hopefully adding somewhat to the other Fenix L0D series comparisons...

I took my recently received Fenix L0Ds out back for a shootout to try to see what the differences are, and if a clear winner can be declared.

I placed fresh Energizer E2 lithiums in both, and stood approximately 25feet from the bench in my back yard which I like to use for this kind of thing. I've added a small table with an ornamental birdhouse on it, which should give even more depth.

On to the pics (excuse the camera's difficulty focusing):

194443.jpg

To me, they're really comparable. The L0DCE is rated at 50 lumens, and the L0DR80 is rated at 60 lumens, so I wasn't expecting a huge difference.

It might appear at first that the L0DCE is a little brighter, but I think that's due to the difference in throw from the reflectors. The CE reflector is smooth, while the R80's reflector is slightly textured or "orange peel". This concentrates the CE beam into a brighter hotspot with less throw, and diffuses the R80's beam into a much smoother overall flood pattern.

If you look closely, to the left of the bench you can see a white gutter down-spout coming down the grey siding of the house. It's clearly more visible (to me) with the Rebel than with the Cree. This would indicate that there's lots more light going off to the side, and accounts for the lumens that are apparently missing from the center around the birdhouse.

As far as brightness goes: the lumens are there, and the Rebel is putting out more of them as advertised... but they're spread out. And spread out nicely. :grin2: I didn't see any rings or artifacts whatsoever in the Rebel beam, and the transition from hotspot to sidespill is a smooth and even fade.

If you're on the fence about which one of these to buy, I think it comes down to the old "flood vs. throw" decision. If you will use it for close to medium range and want a nice even floody light, go with the Rebel version. If you want a brighter hot-spot with more throw, and aren't worried about a little ringiness, go with the Cree.

Of course, I wouldn't be thoroughly reviewing the lights if I didn't throw a 3.7volt 10440 cell in 'em. :naughty:

Here's the L0DCE:

194444.jpg

:eek:

As expected, the thing was astoundingly bright. It was putting out more light than my L1DR100 was! :green:

The problem, of course, is runtime and what it does to the cell. I had read this post (by Luminescent) before:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2134527&postcount=32

so I was being careful and using it for short periods at a time. From my observations, Luminescent is right-on with his assessment that the draw these lights put on the poor little cells is not just brutal, but possibly dangerous. I put the 10440 in the Rebel, and it was BRIGHT!... then it started to dim. I might have gotten 10-15 seconds before it was noticibly dimming. I turned it off quickly and called my wife over. I turned it to high again, and asked "Notice anything?" (pause) "Yeah, it's getting dimmer." :shakehead Sure that it wasn't my eyes, I vowed to never put the poor 10440 cell in the Rebel again. After a brief rest, the light would light up again just as bright, so there wasn't any apparent damage to the emitter - the lithium cell just can't keep up with the draw from the Rebel.

I recharged the cell before trying it out in the Cree. The Cree's lower draw was easier on the cell, but it still didn't last very long. I vaguely remember seeing something about a 10 minute to 50% runtime on high on a 10440. I was just messing around a little bit after taking the shot above, and started noticing it dimming on high. I don't know if I had gotten to 10 minutes, or if the cell wasn't 100% after running the Rebel, but not wanting to damage it I decided it was done, and so was I.

Bottom line:

I can't declare a clear winner.

These are both great lights. They are surprisingly bright for such a small package, even on regular alkaline cells. There are clear differences in the emitters and reflectors, which affect the way the light is put out, but not the amount of it.

It's going to come down to personal preference at this point. If you want smooth flood - get the Rebel. If you want an undisputed pocket rocket thrower, get the Cree.

The only real "advantage" I could see to distinguish one over the other would be the Cree's ability to run a 10440 cell. The Rebel is just simply too much for the tiny lithium cell, and I would STRONGLY recommend against ever doing it. Personally, for someone "new to the game", I would recommend against investing in a 10440 cell for the Cree also. Sure it's ridicuously bright and will amaze your friends... for a short time. It won't last long, and unless you want to be in the dark for the rest of the night you'd better bring another light or at least another cell. :ohgeez:

Stick with "standard" cells, and neither of these lights should ever let you down.

:twothumbs

tsia

Newly Enlightened
Nice Review, do you think it's possible to swap the reflectors and test both light using the same reflector ??? If it's possible then we are testing emitter to emitter :twothumbs

Dobbler

Enlightened
I think the 10440 support for the Cree -- especially my Q2 SE L0D-CE -- makes it the clear winner. The reflectors on these little lights are so small that I doubt the OP makes much of a difference in the beam and that it's 98% about the way the two LEDs emit light.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Input voltage for the LOD rebel is 0.7 to 1.7. Glad you did not fry your rebel LOD.

Would be nice if it could actually take a 10440 like the LOD CE.

pilou

Enlightened
How much brighter is the Cree/Rebel L0D compared to something like a Luxeon I L2P? Based on Fenix's lumens ratings, it should be brighter. Is it? Is so, is the difference dramatic?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dramatic! But change the led to a USWOH seoul led and the difference is not that much.

AlexGT

How much brighter is the Cree/Rebel L0D compared to something like a Luxeon I L2P? Based on Fenix's lumens ratings, it should be brighter. Is it? Is so, is the difference dramatic?

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast

My Cree L0D is slightly brighter than my L2T on high based on ceiling bounce test.

BobbyRS

Enlightened
Very good job! Thanks for even trying the 10440 cell in the Rebel version. .....still waiting for a Q5 version.....

Luminescent

Enlightened
I think the 10440 support for the Cree -- especially my Q2 SE L0D-CE -- makes it the clear winner. The reflectors on these little lights are so small that I doubt the OP makes much of a difference in the beam and that it's 98% about the way the two LEDs emit light.

You guys just DON'T GET IT, the CREE L0D-CE does NOT have "10440 support".

10440's in the L0D-CE is, and has ALWAYS been just a stupid hack, that seems to sort of work, some of the time, for some of the people.

Used to be most of the time for most of the people [but even then it was a stupid risk to take], and now it is not guaranteed to work worth a crap even on your exulted L0D CREE Edition.

In the past the CREE had only 3 bond wires and the Emitter Vf was higher which tended to limit the current, and the lithium battery manufactures were not as aware of the dangers of explosions, so the protective current limit was set very high on the batteries.

Now CREE has gone to 4 Bond wires in the XR-E P4 and lowered their Vf, and the lithium batteries also often have lower trip points for the protective PTC device, due to fears of explosions, so getting this hack to work worth a damn has become a problem for the CREE based lights as well.

With many of these newer L0D-CE lights you have to find batteries that will take an insane amount of abuse, to keep them running more than a few seconds before dimming, and then you run the risk of blowing the light straight to hell if your lithium cell explodes due to this abuse (not to mention what will happen to your hand if you are holding it at the time it decides to let go).

I would have hoped that I would have some credibility on this, due to the fact that the L0D Rebel 80 did EXACTALY what I said it would do, but I have found that people tend to believe what they WANT to believe regardless of the facts, so if you want to take these risks, fine, but please don't encourage others to do so, because they may not realize the risk they are taking.

My advise is, you want a brighter L0D, wait for Rebel-100 version, and then run it on the batteries it was intended to run on.

Last edited:

Luminescent

Enlightened
Support was the wrong word then. How about "it works for me" :)

Good luck with it on your L0D, but I wanted folks to know that they can't count on this working very well even with some of the newer L0D CREE lights.

It used to work a little more consistently, but with the newer lower Vf parts, and with more variations of batteries, the performance is all over the map.

Also no offense to you, but I have always found this a whole L0D 10440 thing a little silly and juvenile.

Even if you can get it to work, you give up really useful lower modes and end up with a light that is so bright, so hot, and has such short run time, that it is just about useless for close up tasks like changing a fuse up under the dashboard of your car at night, so what's the point?

If the light would work properly with 10440 cells and not loose functionality that would be different, but I have better things to do with my EDC light, than turn it on in little 5 second blasts to impress my friends

I also don't recommend the L0D-RB80 but it has nothing to do with 10440 cell compatibility, I am just waiting for Fenix to get their act together and offer the L0D Rebel-100.

mchlwise

Enlightened
I have always found this a whole L0D 10440 thing a little silly and juvenile.

<==== Guilty.

Sure it's silly and juvenile.

I was with my cousin who is a police officer the other night. He had a Surefire 6P. I showed him my old JetBeam MkI with a 1W Luxeon emitter in it, which I was running on a 14500 cell. We compared lights shining them on a tree about 50 feet away, any my light outperformed his, which he thought was crazy. Much more light from a MUCH smaller package. I didn't tell him my light was using out-dated year-old at least three-generations-back technology. :eek:oo:

Point is: "pissing contests" and showing off is silly and juvenile... but it's still fun! :party:
It can also "open" people's minds and show them that LED lighting is not limited to the cheap multi-emitter $10 crap they see at the drug store or gas station. If you're discussing LED technology and really want to impress somebody, nothing beats a L0DCE on a 10440 putting out riduculous amounts of light for its size.

BUT...

It's just not a good idea to run a Fenix L0D on a 10440 cell.
I continue to recommend against it, and appreciate your efforts also to remind people of the inherent risks.

EV_007

Enlightened
< --- 10440's in the L0D-CE :twothumbs

Used sparingly for short bursts, nothing compares to its size to output ratio IMHO.

EsthetiX

Enlightened
I would recommend against investing in a 10440 cell for the Cree also. Sure it's ridicuously bright and will amaze your friends... for a short time. It won't last long

FYI, I've been running nothing but AW's 10440's in mine ever since the first couple weeks they were out last year. Havent had 1 issue with mine and I run the batterys down and recharge them twice a week on average.

kanarie

Enlightened
There have been many, many topics about the Fenix L0D-CE with a 10440 in the past with no problems (people running three full batteries dry) just to prove it is save.
It is of course you own choice but I have had a 10440 inserted from the beginning

I also tried a Rebel 100 in direct drive with a Li-ion (basically the same as high on the LOD-CE) but it will turn angry blue in just seconds

Last edited:

todo

Newly Enlightened
My LOD ce has had no battery other than a 10440 fed to it since I took it out of the package 10 months ago. It has been clipped to my shirt pocket everyday and gets used every day. On 2 occasions it was inadvertently left on high, one time for 45minutes and the other till the cell died. In my opinion it is the perfect EDC for its size and output can not be beat. If it dies I'll pull out my spare LOD ce and use it the same way, but I don't see this little beauty dying just yet.