Fenix LD41 prototype Review

kj2

Flashaholic
Had this light in my hand yesterday. Feels good, looks good :) Only the specs aren't that great. 520lumens is good, but 10000cd and 200meters throw- that isn't very much. Do think this light won't be a best-seller. Think that the E40 will do much better.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had this light in my hand yesterday. Feels good, looks good :) Only the specs aren't that great. 520lumens is good, but 10000cd and 200meters throw- that isn't very much. Do think this light won't be a best-seller. Think that the E40 will do much better.

The nice wide hotspot makes the beam a great all purpose light and the lack of peak beam intensity and throw is exactly why I would buy this. If you want throw, buy a thrower, if you want a bright AA powered light for general use then the LD41 fits the bill very well.

kj2

Flashaholic
The nice wide hotspot makes the beam a great all purpose light and the lack of peak beam intensity and throw is exactly why I would buy this. If you want throw, buy a thrower, if you want a bright AA powered light for general use then the LD41 fits the bill very well.

IMO the Fenix E40 will fit people more. Cheaper, yes also less lumens- but higher intensity and more throw. But specially the lower price makes it nice.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO the Fenix E40 will fit people more. Cheaper, yes also less lumens- but higher intensity and more throw. But specially the lower price makes it nice.

Cheaper, yes many will choose it because of that, but throw?

What do most people want a light for? Walking about the house, looking under the stairs of in a cellar. In the garage, walking the dog etc, hardly any of these would need a beam range over 50m.

When you have a high peak intensity, you will find that at closer ranges you get what I call hotspot blindness, the effect of a tiny very bright hotspot making it so you can't actually see anything outside of the hotspot, unless you ceiling bounce the beam. It is much more natural to have a wide hotspot and loads of spill (and less throw). Throwers are fun and can impress friends but are of limited practical use.

A great number of cheap lights with relatively low output make up for it by focusing the beam into a tight hotspot. It looks impressive until you actually try to use it. I have several lights which I cannot use around the house or even out walking as the hotspot is too bright and small, yes they are great for throw, but not much else.

So in summary, I might agree that the cheaper price point will be attractive, but at the cost of a better beam for general use, and the higher overall output of the LD41.

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
Cheaper, yes many will choose it because of that, but throw?

What do most people want a light for? Walking about the house, looking under the stairs of in a cellar. In the garage, walking the dog etc, hardly any of these would need a beam range over 50m.

When you have a high peak intensity, you will find that at closer ranges you get what I call hotspot blindness, the effect of a tiny very bright hotspot making it so you can't actually see anything outside of the hotspot, unless you ceiling bounce the beam. It is much more natural to have a wide hotspot and loads of spill (and less throw). Throwers are fun and can impress friends but are of limited practical use.

A great number of cheap lights with relatively low output make up for it by focusing the beam into a tight hotspot. It looks impressive until you actually try to use it. I have several lights which I cannot use around the house or even out walking as the hotspot is too bright and small, yes they are great for throw, but not much else.

So in summary, I might agree that the cheaper price point will be attractive, but at the cost of a better beam for general use, and the higher overall output of the LD41.
Would like to see the difference between both. Hope that video's will hit YouTube soon. :)
And 10000cd is for indoors still a lot. I have the TK21, does 11489cd on turbo, and that's way to much for indoors.

Last edited:

igoman

Newly Enlightened
The LD40 throws 207m and the LD41 200m. Is the diference really so negigible?

PhantomAntichrist

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered mine at at Light Junction for $64.95 including shipping. My first high power flashlight. How will Duracell 2000 Mah batteries work in this light?

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly looking at the second shot comparison between the LD41 and the TK41 on turbo I am very impressed with the LD41. It looks as though it actually is brighter at midrange lighting up a larger hotspot though not throwing quite as far. I think this shows that the perceived brightness difference between 520lm and the 800(first version xm-l I presume) tk41 is not that big. If the LD41 had a slightly deeper parabolic reflector it would look more or less like the tk41 with maybe a third stop difference brightness in photographs?

I'm have to hold myself back right now in terms of flashlight spending so I'm torn whether I want to splurge on something like a LD41 or something like the upcoming TK22... Also the TK15-S2 is still VERY attractive to me as a tougher light than the LD41, but with sorta similar brightness. Hmmm.... If only one of these three used a T6 neutral xm-l that would make my decision a lot easier. I'm kinda pizzed that only the upcoming E50 is getting a neutral xm-l.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really wanted an LD41 when they first came out, but the output wasn't enough to justify it over the LD40 I already had, plus 10k lux wasn't exactly impressive.

The updated LD41 with 680 lumens and 18k lux is much more attractive, and I should have one in my hands by lunchtime today.

Seems the TK40 will finally be replaced :(

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember what you said a while ago... :devil:

Hey, hey, hey... I said I'd never sell it. Didn't say it wouldn't be replaced. The LD41 has become the new bedside light to accompany the Quark NW Regular. That was the domain of the TK40.

I've given the TK40 to my son. His old 4D Maglite with Terralux dropin just doesn't cut it anymore. His eyes nearly popped out of his head when I told him he could have it to use.

Should be interesting going on camping trips now when his friends pull out their 20 lumen cheapies, and my son pulls out the awesome TK40. They like to play spot light a lot. Me thinks the game won't be so fair now.