Fenix LR50R ~$250 - worth it? (SOLVED)

PaladinNO

Enlightened
Looking for opinions or experiences.

A local E-tailer is currently offering the Fenix LR50R for the equivalent of 250 USD (regular price is ~$340). Is it worth it at that price?
Disclaimer: I have NOT read reviews, checked exact stats / features or looked at beamshots as of writing.

I've been wanting new "yolo" light for some time now (my Fenix TK75 2018 5100 Lumen novelty has long since worn off), and I have briefly looked at the LR50R earlier.
Disregarded it last time due to the specific battery pack, but when I look at it again now, I see this light also supports 1-4x standard 21700 button tops.

I see Fenix says the LR50R will reduce the output by 50 % when using 21700's, but if I buy the light, I'm tempted to try that statement with 4x Nitecore NL2153HP (20A) cells.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Well, the "battery pack" issue usually turns me away. Reduced output with the 21700 cells - well, that's no fun.

I like Fenix lights, and have around 10, but I recently went with the Acebeam X80-GT 2 for a high lumen flooder, at 34000 lumens.

PaladinNO

Enlightened
Yeah, I'll contact Fenix about the limitations when / if I am leaning closer to a purchase.
The propretary battery pack got a suspiscious-looking tap in the middle of it. Reminds me of the "boost" screw for some of the more powerful Lazer LED-bars. I'm guessing Fenix didn't expect single, protected 21700 cells to actually be able to perform when they designed the light.

The Acebeam X80-GT 2 is sadly a big, fat "no" from me. Impressive stats though!
One, local availability for Acebeam lights is practically non-existant.
Two, I can tell by looking at the design and size (and the runtimes confirm it) it's..."thermally inadequate" (not that the LR50R is much better in that area).
Three, it's a 18650 light (I'm trying to stick to 21700 lights from now on).
And four; the X80-GT2 is 50 % more expensive.

Ocelot808

Enlightened
For that type of "soda can" light, I think $250 is overpriced, and the $20+/cell for Nitecore batteries is ridiculously overpriced.

I rather recommend the excellent Sofirn Q8+, which substantially outperforms the LR50R for much less money. 65€ ($78USD) without batteries, but only 85€ ($94USD) including the necessary 3 21700 cells. They are premium quality 5000 mAh Sofirn branded.

The Q8+ is considerably more compact, lighter, and capable of 16,000 peak lumens (vs 12k for the LR50). It also runs Anduril 2 for ease of brightness control (ramping or stepped) and numerous optional modes like candle flicker and lightning storm for fun. It is available with a choice of neutral white 5000K or cool white 6500K (I recommend the 5000K). It is a much superior light in performance and factoring its huge price difference a tremendous value. You could have 2 Q8+ with 6 21700 cells for less than the LR50R, it's a no-brainer.

The Q8+ has a strong enthusiast following similar to that of the Wurkkos TS10 mini EDC light. Owners rave about them.

Here is the Sofirn Q8+ link:

(there is a coupon code [ PUHGR9K3 ] on that page for an additional 20% off the prices I mentioned)

I want to bring to your attention that while Nitecore and Fenix offer quality cells, they are ridiculously overpriced, adding a $10 premium to the cell price just for the sake of name branding. A genuine Samsung 50S, 50E, or Molicel P45B will provide much better performance for less than half a Nitecore or Fenix price. The Vapcell F56 12.5A rated 5600mAh cell is great for long runtime.

I hope this is helpful ti you

Cheers!

PaladinNO

Enlightened
For that type of "soda can" light, I think $250 is overpriced, and the $20+/cell for Nitecore batteries is ridiculously overpriced.

I rather recommend the excellent Sofirn Q8+, which substantially outperforms the LR50R for much less money. 65€ ($78USD) without batteries, but only 85€ ($94USD) including the necessary 3 21700 cells. They are premium quality 5000 mAh Sofirn branded.

The Q8+ is considerably more compact, lighter, and capable of 16,000 peak lumens (vs 12k for the LR50). It also runs Anduril 2 for ease of brightness control (ramping or stepped) and numerous optional modes like candle flicker and lightning storm for fun.

I want to bring to your attention that while Nitecore and Fenix offer quality cells, they are ridiculously overpriced, adding a $10 premium to the cell price just for the sake of name branding. A genuine Samsung 50S, 50E, or Molicel P45B will provide much better performance for less than half a Nitecore or Fenix price. The Vapcell F56 12.5A rated 5600mAh cell is great for long runtime.
Now we're on to something!

But to mention a main point of buying these more expensive lights locally, just to get it out there, is warranty. If I buy locally, I can return it for a refund or replacement for up to 5 years after purchase if the light were to fail. Norway got serious consumer rights, though that is of course is also reflected in the prices. And 3x Nitecore NL2153HP is $95 here.

If I were to buy that Sofirn light, I get nothing if the light arrives damaged or fails in a few months. And I know the return shipping would be about the same as a new light. Delivery times is also a thing - I buy locally, I get it in a week (if in stock). I buy overseas, I'm looking at a month+.
And for Fenix in general, I own several of their lights already, and I am confident in their build quality and performance through personal experience.

But as for the Sofirn, at the prices you're listing for the Q8+ (I don't own any Sofirn lights, but I've heard of the brand), I'm game for taking that risk.
And those "fun modes" you're mentioning makes it all the more interesting, as this definitely would be a "fun" light for me. And it has a tripod mount, which is a bonus. And it can tail stand, AND it got a diffuser. The Q8+ definitely got a lot of features I'm looking for in such a light!

You wouldn't happen to know if it supports multiple stacked battery carriers too (like the Fenix TK75 / TK76)? So I can put 3x / 6x / 9x 21700 cells in it for additional runtime? If it supports that too, it ticks absolutely all of my boxes, and I will buy one immediately!

"Small", "compact" and "lightweight" are not things I care about in my fun lights. "Big", "heavy" and "shoulder strap" are more my thing in this category. :)

Last edited:

PaladinNO

Enlightened
@Ocelot808
Okay, I'm sold on the Sofirn Q8+. I'm taking one.
Just one question: does the Q8+ require 21700 button-tops, or does it work with flat-tops as well?

...Also, what else can you recommend me from Sofirn?
Currently got a Q8+, a diffuser, and a SF15 penlight in the cart.

Considering the IF22A.

Last edited:

Ocelot808

Enlightened
Highly recommend the IF22A, and the IF23 is a really versatile backup light.

Another plus is Sofirn uses Anduril 2 with most of their lights so it's exactly the same UI as all of the Hanklights, like your K9.3 on the way.

Last edited:

Ocelot808

Enlightened
I understand your concerns about warranty but in my years of buying lights from China I've only had one or two defective items and the manufacturers immediately sent me free replacements. No one expects to pay shipping to China for returns. Don't let that concern force you into paying outlandish premium prices just for the hope of returning them. The reputable Chinese manufacturers have very dependable quality standards, like Acebeam (one of the very best), Sofirn, Nitecore, Jetbeam, etc.

Ocelot808

Enlightened
The Sofirn LT1S PRO is probably the very best camping lantern on the market. With Nichia 519A, SST20, and SST Red LEDS, it is a tint mixing/tint ramping light also with Anduril 2.
25% off with code SOFIRN25

This one is a must have. Even if you never go camping it is incredibly useful around the house and for power outages.

Last edited:

Ocelot808

Enlightened
Everything runs on 21700, and make sure you buy them with the excellent 5000mAh Sofirn cells. Now you will have a common 21700 ecosystem.

Ocelot808

Enlightened

Ocelot808

Enlightened
I've had several Sofirn models since 2017 and have never once encountered a problem or failure in any of their products. Their quality standards have impressed me, equivalent to Fenix with really affordable prices.

I think you will be really happy with these.

Cheers!

PaladinNO

Enlightened
Honestly, I can't really say why I keep being worried about warranties - most of my lights, including the more expensive ones (like the Fenix TK75 / TK76) comes from Ebay. Genuine products from reputable sellers, but I knew I was always gambling, and my online luck is gonna run out someday.

I was looking at the IF23 - looks like a pocketable fun light with all those colour options. Couldn't think of a specific use for it though, so I sort of mentally disgarded it. But it's not completely off the table.

As for the lantern, I already have a Fenix CL30R...that I have used exactly ONCE since I bought it. So while the LT1S Pro looks great on paper (I was looking at it), I just can't see myself actually ever using it.

Honestly, at this point I am considering getting 2x Q8+. And selling the second one to a friend of mine, making sure to charge him enough to pay for my whole order and then some. xD

Ocelot808

Enlightened
I think you really might like the SP60. The XHP70.3HI is a beast and I really like the 2x21700 form factor.

The IF23 is a backup light. Barely larger than the 21700 cell itself, useful to carry if your IF22A battery runs out and you swap in a spare. Plus useful by itself as a secondary light.

PaladinNO

Enlightened
I am actually sweating here, thinking "how many new lights do I even need!?" ^^

Got the tracking for my two custom Emisar lights (Noctigon K9.3 + DT8K) a couple days ago.

I am also waiting for my 21700 charger. Ordered a Nitecore UMS4 + 2x NL2150 cells around Christmas. Should have arrived weeks ago, but the tracking just says "Shipment delayed: force majeure" due to bad weather further south.

I will skip SP60. I am looking for a thrower, but it's not a priority, and when I get that, I want it to be BIG. Like 8x (2x 2p2s) 21700 cells.

Okay, how about this:
Order 1:
2x Q8+ 5000K with batteries (coupon code for both)
2x Q8+ diffusers
$157

Order 2:
IF22A with battery
2x SF15
IF23 with battery
LT1S Pro (with coupon code)
$147

If I think too much about this, I'm gonna curl up in a ball and cry!
...Which is almost ironic, considering I was ready to slap down $250 for a single light - and here I can get 7 lights for just a little bit more.
At least the wallet is agreeable (for once).

EDIT:
And I still need to get another Fireflies PL47MU E21A (or equivalent) for my mother. She just borrowed it to read something with tiny letters, and she absolutely loved that light.

EDIT 2:
Will likely scale the orders down to something actually sensible for my needs. Like only one Q8+ and skipping the lantern.

Last edited:

PaladinNO

Enlightened
Aaand the order is in (and there won't be a second order anytime soon).
1x Q8+ with batteries (with coupon code)
2x Q8+ diffusers
1x SF15
1x IF22A with battery
1x IF23 with battery

174.28 USD total

Now I want to actually receive some of the lights I've ordered before buying anything else. :|

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a super bright Lupine Betty. Something to keep in mind is that as it heats up the light steps down to save it's electronics. Extra batteries are a must too. Mine runs at less 5400 lumens IIRC so if a light is more than double it may be usable for even less time. For things like this perhaps a high powered incan may be better.

Right now I search for things with a 3k lumen light and use short bursts of light from the Betty or X21R.

Ocelot808

Enlightened
Congratulations!

For $75 less than an empty LR50R you have four really diverse use case lights with 5 quality 21700 cells ($150 worth of Nitecore cells) to use.

I have found a dealer in Hungary that carries an extensive line of the newest and best flashlight designs from a range of quality manufacturers plus the best quality rechargeable lithium ion cells. The pricing is very reasonable and they offer 3 day home delivery for the entire EU. Please give them a look:

www.sportlampa.com

Now you should have a really enjoyable rest of the dark season with your incoming flotilla of lighting tools.

After a financial recovery period for the next step you should realize your dream of a 2 kg monster thrower SBT90.2 LED light that comes with a handle and shoulder strap (118mm reflector).

With the newest 46110 monster (replaceable) single lithium ion cell with 38,000 mAh (for over 1000 cycles) and 10 hours of sustained high output runtime. 120 days runtime on moonlight.

2720 meters of range. 7000 peak lumens. And full QC/PD power bank capability, very useful by itself. That single cell equivalent to 8x 21700 or more than a dozen 18650s. Additional cells are $38 each. This will certainly quench your thirst for gargantuan battery capacity.

It's the GT110:

(around $250 or less with coupon code)

Cheers!

Last edited:

PaladinNO

Enlightened
Congratulations!

For $75 less than an empty LR50R you have four really diverse use case lights with 5 quality 21700 cells ($150 worth of Nitecore cells) to use.
Thank you!

Yeah, it didn't escape me that, on paper at least, I got a light that was much more powerful AND I got another 4 lights of various types AND I paid less than the Fenix would cost alone. Already removed the LR50R from my local online price checker list. ^^

Thanks for the help and recommendations. :)

As for the monster thrower, that is EXACTLY what I'm looking for! I have been looking at the Lumintop GT90, or the more recent WildTrail WT90 (just to keep track of what's available out there when the time comes), but the GT110 looks even better. <3

But a thrower is not a priority...though more lights at all was not a priority, or planned (not the Emisars and not the Sofirns), so I guess there's no point in making statements. The financial recovery time is 4 weeks (got a serious upgrade to my paycheck this year), or 3 weeks from now, but I really need to slow down now - according to the bank statements, it's been about $200 splurges every day for the last 14 days, and that was more than expected.

I wanted to threat myself with the bump in pay and climbing the position ladder where I work, and I sure have done that now with all the new flashlights, but now I need to stop. Despite all the goodies that is still out there. And I'm still yet to buy the Acebeam E75 to replace the EC50 I traded away.

Feels almost weird to think that I originally planned to use the paycheck to upgrade my home storage server with a new motherboard and CPU, changing the CPU-cooler (don't need the overkill Thermalright TRUE Copper that's currently in it), and installing the additional RAM and new HDD that's already arrived.
Instead, I bought 7 new lights + batteries, and the RAM, new HDD and the cooler are just sitting in a box next to me. xD

Last edited:

PaladinNO

Enlightened
@Ocelot808
What's the max discharge current the Q8+ can benefit from?

And does it require button-top cells?
I see some reviews claim it's a requirement, and that some people have received both with their lights, and the flat-tops have apparently struggled with making good contact.

I see you listed some battery cells further up here - "Samsung 50S, 50E, Molicel P45B, Vapcell F56 12.5A" - but none of those exact models are available to me. Well, strictly speaking, I did find the Samsung 50E...for ~$45.45 per cell.

I do find Samsung 40T (already bought some for the incoming Emisars), Molicel P42A and Nitecore NL2153HP.
For a single NL2153HP, I can get 3 of either of the other cells, but if the Q8+ needs button-tops, I will get them as backups.

Already shelled out for 8x Nitecore NL1835HP for my Fenix TK75 2018 with an additional battery carrier, so needing only 3x overpriced cells is a bargin. ^^
No rush for more batteries though. First I need the light to arrive, and I ordered it with batteries (went with the Q8+ 5000K version), and I already have 3x Samsung 40T's to test with.