Fenix PD35 (XM-L2, 1x18650, 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIME, VIDEO+

BobMc

Newly Enlightened
I received my Fenix pd35 and the Jetbeam pa40 as we'll this week,I had ordered the Jetbeam before the Fenix and I was going to return it but decided to keep it since it is a very nice light and I bought the pa40 for 51 and the Pd35 on a bundle deal with charger,battery for 109 from amazon.
I bought both because of the great reviews here by Selfbuilt! The Fenix pd35 is great,I find myself yearning for the power to go out so I can show off.I did get it to tailstand easily by putting a standard 1/2 inch flatwasher under it.

Last edited:

faucon

Enlightened
Great review and helped me to make up my mind. I went with the PD35 over several other choices, partly because I need a 'floodier' beam. I noted that Doug P. of flashlightreviews.com also carefully measured the true brightness of the PD35 and compared it with the Nitecore P12, and found that the PD35 at 949 lumens was actually significantly brighter than the P12. It looks as if Fenix was conservative with its specs while Nitecore was overly optimistic. I'm personally fine with the lowest mode of the PD35 and find it useful and not too bright. Both torches are great lights, with the wider beam pattern being the main reason I chose the Fenix. The P12 seems to throw farther, which might tip the scales for those who need a longer reach.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Great review and helped me to make up my mind. I went with the PD35 over several other choices, partly because I need a 'floodier' beam. I noted that Doug P. of flashlightreviews.com also carefully measured the true brightness of the PD35 and compared it with the Nitecore P12, and found that the PD35 at 949 lumens was actually significantly brighter than the P12. It looks as if Fenix was conservative with its specs while Nitecore was overly optimistic.
Yes, I had a similar finding myself, if not as significant (as detailed in the comparisons in this review). FYI, Doug P (Quickbeam here) long ago gave up flashlight testing, took down his material, and sold his domain name. The current owner copied all of Doug's original copyrighted material (before it went down), reloaded it and started adding material from other sources (see this thread). I don't know where that comparison between the P12 and PD35 came from, but it certainly wasn't from Doug. Doesn't mean it is isn't correct, just that that provenance is unknown.

Last edited:

Scarface26

Newly Enlightened
The PD35 is my first LED flashlight. I selected it mostly because of this review and have owned it for about two weeks. I am really impressed by it. I've read quite a few comments on it not being able to tail stand, but that's not really important to me. I can't imagine any long skinny flashlight to be very stable standing on its end anyway. Any slight bump to whatever it is standing on and over it goes. Just stand your flashlight in an empty coffee mug and no more problem.

faucon

Enlightened
Thanks, selfbuilt, for the info about Quickbeam. I haven't been on CPF much in recent years due to family illness but am now in full 'flashaholic' mode again! If anyone's interested, here's the link for the PD35-P12 output comparison test, which was apparently done with a reliable integrating sphere and respected software: http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_pd35_vs_nitecore_p12.htm. The results were similar to your own. Scarface, I'm seriously impressed by my PD35, too. Amazingly bright and a huge spillbeam!

Last edited:

NCRick

Newly Enlightened
I have both the PD35 and P12 and agree completely with this review and the comparison between the two. Ultimately they both offer almost identical maximum performance. The P12 wins with the lower low setting, addition of SOS and beacon mode, the ability to tail stand (with easier access to on/off switch) and of course the much nicer lanyard. The PD35 wins with the more evenly spaced 5 output settings (Eco/10, Low/45, Mid/170, High/450, Turbo/850) as opposed to 4 output settings with the P12 (Lower/1, Low/50, Mid/210, High/950), an easier to use mode switch and a variable pattern strobe (for those who need/use that option).

Aside from those differences, I could see each being mistaken for the other by someone not familiar with each. They are almost identical in size, weight, form factor, beam pattern and even though the P12 is manufacturer rated 3800 cd higher I think they appear practically equal on output/throw. I believe someone already mentioned that Fenix may have estimated low and Nitecore estimated a bit optimistically and I would agree based on my personal observations. I have no formal testing equipment nor methodology however so these are purely my own findings based on my actual usage. Which model to choose between these two pretty much comes down to which of those minor differences is most important.

I would recommend either (or both to those like us that can't have enough :thumbsup:) to anyone considering getting one. I love the PD35 for an EDC light that I can easily stuff in a pocket in my cargo shorts or carpenter jeans. The size and weight make it easy to conceal and carry without feeling bulky or heavy. It offers a whole lotta general purpose use light when needed and the ease of carrying makes it much more likely to have available when needed.

Another great review :twothumbs and a good starter model for someone wanting to try out something more serious than the latest department store models. The P12 is what got me to finally pull the trigger after wanting a TK41 for a while. Now I'm hooked! :candle:

faucon

Enlightened
Selfbuilt, I didn't pay careful enough attention to what you said about Quickbeam's old site. So the new owner of flashlightreviews.com 'stole' Doug P.'s reviews and keeps adding appropriated and non-attributed reviews to the site? Not good.

braddy

Enlightened
The PD35 is my first LED flashlight. I selected it mostly because of this review and have owned it for about two weeks. I am really impressed by it. I've read quite a few comments on it not being able to tail stand, but that's not really important to me. I can't imagine any long skinny flashlight to be very stable standing on its end anyway. Any slight bump to whatever it is standing on and over it goes. Just stand your flashlight in an empty coffee mug and no more problem.

I own the PD35 and love it, what a great first led light for you, I agree totally with your comments on tail standing, it isn't that big of a deal.

By the way, with your PD35's 10 lumens on low, and with a plastic bottle, or even a white plastic grocery bag, you have a long running lantern for blackouts, or camping.

Scarface26

Newly Enlightened
I own the PD35 and love it, what a great first led light for you, I agree totally with your comments on tail standing, it isn't that big of a deal.

By the way, with your PD35's 10 lumens on low, and with a plastic bottle, or even a white plastic grocery bag, you have a long running lantern for blackouts, or camping.
Wow! I never thought of using a bottle or white grocery bag as a no cost diffuser. Great idea!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Higher voltage ;)
and yet the nominal voltage of the CR123A is less than the 18650.
No, voltages in series are additive, so the combined voltage of 2xCR123A is higher than 1x18650.

But with control circuits, the relationship between input voltage and output is nearly entirely clear. Typically, the higher voltage of 2x battery sources more easily allows for higher output and flatter stabilization - but that depends on the how the circuit is designed, and what features it incorporates. It is common to see a slight bump in output on 2xCR123A or 2xRCR, compared to 1x18650, in most multi-power lights (although not always).

cagenuts

Enlightened
No, voltages in series are additive, so the combined voltage of 2xCR123A is higher than 1x18650.

Ah thanks, I didn't know this. I suppose the circuitry must be more complicated to accommodate this large swing in voltage then as opposed to just worrying about one range like the ZL SC600 (I recall your review pointing out that it only takes 18650 batteries).

tyxxvxl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the clarification guys. I did notice a difference when I ran my 18650 vs the 2 cr123's that came with the light. Both the 18650 and the 123's are made by Tenergy.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about 2x 16340?
8.4v?
Is that comparable to the cr123?

I just ordered one from Vinh, however, it's a xpl triple, but I was also thinking about getting the original version.

Last edited:

tyxxvxl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Selfbuilt I am watching your series on flashlight basics. Excellent series for a new guy like me to learn.
Thank you for making the videos!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
How about 2x 16340?
8.4v? Is that comparable to the cr123?
No, since CR123A are nominally 3.0V each. But practically it doesn't matter much - while some circuits will respond differentially (with more output for 2xRCR than 2xCR123A), I find most lights tend to be fairly equivalent on various 2x sources. If you want to know more (e.g., difference between boost and buck circuits, etc), check out the experts in the electronics forum here.

In any case, the PD35 is pretty much equivalent in initial output on all sources, including 1x18650 - you would need a sensitive light meter to be able to detect the differences.

Selfbuilt I am watching your series on flashlight basics. Excellent series for a new guy like me to learn.
Thank you for making the videos!
My pleasure. :) For those wondering, you can see my YouTube channel here. There is a primer playlist on the front page.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for your response. I figured it wouldn't be a visible difference, but wanted to ask just to know.

As long as it's safe to use 2x16340 I'm good.
I always keep two spare cell containers on my keys for last ditch reserves, and they usually have either 16340, or cr123 in each, and of course I'd keep a 18650 in the light.

Santa Fe

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought the Fenix PD35 based on web reviews and Selfbuilt's excellent work here. I'm very happy with it but I have noticed that on my unit the tail cap backs off quite easily. Because of the anodized threads it only needs to loosen 1/16 to 1/8 of a turn to break contact and disable the light. Is this common? Would a fatter "O" ring help? I've got 2 little surefire batt.s in there now until I get a good Orbtronic 18650. Will the fatter 18650 tighten up the tail cap? Thanks.

Latest posts