Fenix PD40R Experience

Msf

Enlightened
Thought I would pass on my son-in-law's experience with the PD40R I purchased for him for Christmas.
Around the third of January he was night fishing at his favorite spot, and managed to drop the light off the boat into about 6 feet of water. Despite his best efforts he could not find it. Fast forward to the 14th of March, back at his favorite fishing spot, and when he pulls up the anchor, the PD40R is comes up with it.
Well, he cleans off the mud, dries the light off, opens the light, finds the battery is dry, pops the battery back in, turns it on and everything is working just like it did before it's two month immersion. Control switch still nice and smooth and frankly the light looks like it just came out of the box.
I have not been much of a Fenix fan in the past and only bought this light for him because he requested it, but I have to say I am impressed. I may have to add Fenix to the list of brands I purchase in the future.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apparently I'm the only one reading this who is amazed by the lack of water ingress, or at least the only one who has commented on that, so since I think that was your primary thought too, you are not alone, and I'll say it: I am amazed by the (apparent) lack of water ingress!!:)

EDIT: I guess I should add the requisite 'if it still works a month later', he can declare victory!

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Apparently I'm the only one reading this who is amazed by the lack of water ingress, or at least the only one who has commented on that, so since I think that was your primary thought too, you are not alone, and I'll say it: I am amazed by the (apparent) lack of water ingress!!:)
I'm impressed also, but then I've been a Fenix fan for many years now.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm impressed also, but then I've been a Fenix fan for many years now.

Shoot, man - your PD36 is legendary around here!:)

BTW, I also didn't mean to imply that my amazement had anything to do with it being a Fenix. I have a number of Fenix lights myself, but would be amazed if any of my lights (of any brand honestly) endured 2 months at over a meter. I think FL1 doesn't do anything over 30 minutes, and of course that doesn't check the lights later either. There's a 'T'(ime) factor involved as well, and the evil, insidious effects from any moisture that makes it in are often not evident immediately (and that's not limited to flashlights either, of course). It also takes time for potential oxidation / corrosion to occur and the flaky problems begin, which is why I edit-added my 'if it still works a month later he can declare victory' remark. Anyway, if there was no moisture visually evident that's a good sign, and hopefully none got in. I would also add that I think the 40R has a sort of structural/rotational primary control, which makes it even more amazing I guess!

My lights aren't usually at high risk of submersion, with impact being the larger threat by far, and I've only 'submersed' one so far - and it did (ultimately) kill it, and it was in fact a Fenix, but I don't hold that against the brand at all. That constituted 'cruel and unusual punishment'. I ran an LD02 (still my favorite 1xAAA light of all time BTW) through the clothes washer once, and it ultimately failed from internal corrosion in a matter of hours or days. I'd be 'surprised' if any of my lights would survive that unscathed long term. BTW, I had a second LD02, and then picked up another after that event (N+1 for critical stuff), so given my life expectancy I'll probably never be without a working one - as long as I don't get stupid again! People carry on about the E01(?), and perhaps rightfully so, but it's the original LD02 that rates it in my book! Edit: ...even though the E01 might have survived the washer better - I don't know.

Msf

Enlightened

EDIT: I guess I should add the requisite 'if it still works a month later', he can declare victory!
I'll post back in a month on if the light is still working as advertised. As I used to test equipment for the military, I am well aware of the dangers of drawing conclusions from a sample size of one, but still, it's hard not to be impressed.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Eh, the water non-ingress thing didn't impress me as much as a man raising an anchor and his flashlight he dropped over board 2+ months ago was attached.

Many lights are water proof at 6 feet. Had it been 600 feet, yeah I'd be impressed.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Since that light was submerged for two months, I would be tempted to take it apart and examine everything under 365nm UV light, both before and after cleaning it. This could even make for an interesting teardown video.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a number of Fenix lights myself, but would be amazed if any of my lights (of any brand honestly) endured 2 months at over a meter. I think FL1 doesn't do anything over 30 minutes, and of course that doesn't check the lights later either.

I guess I must increase my specificity (again). It was the two months that amazed me most, not the depth.

Shoot, man - your PD36 is legendary around here!:)

BTW, I also didn't mean to imply that my amazement had anything to do with it being a Fenix. I have a number of Fenix lights myself, but would be amazed if any of my lights (of any brand honestly) endured 2 months at over a meter. I think FL1 doesn't do anything over 30 minutes, and of course that doesn't check the lights later either. There's a 'T'(ime) factor involved as well, and the evil, insidious effects from any moisture that makes it in are often not evident immediately (and that's not limited to flashlights either, of course). It also takes time for potential oxidation / corrosion to occur and the flaky problems begin, which is why I edit-added my 'if it still works a month later he can declare victory' remark. Anyway, if there was no moisture visually evident that's a good sign, and hopefully none got in. I would also add that I think the 40R has a sort of structural/rotational primary control, which makes it even more amazing I guess!

My lights aren't usually at high risk of submersion, with impact being the larger threat by far, and I've only 'submersed' one so far - and it did (ultimately) kill it, and it was in fact a Fenix, but I don't hold that against the brand at all. That constituted 'cruel and unusual punishment'. I ran an LD02 (still my favorite 1xAAA light of all time BTW) through the clothes washer once, and it ultimately failed from internal corrosion in a matter of hours or days. I'd be 'surprised' if any of my lights would survive that unscathed long term. BTW, I had a second LD02, and then picked up another after that event (N+1 for critical stuff), so given my life expectancy I'll probably never be without a working one - as long as I don't get stupid again! People carry on about the E01(?), and perhaps rightfully so, but it's the original LD02 that rates it in my book! Edit: ...even though the E01 might have survived the washer better - I don't know.

My wife's E01 survived the washing machine...twice. Still works ten years on and counting. (I'll post a follow-up report in 2030.) :devilish:

Msf

Enlightened
Eh, the water non-ingress thing didn't impress me as much as a man raising an anchor and his flashlight he dropped over board 2+ months ago was attached.

Many lights are water proof at 6 feet. Had it been 600 feet, yeah I'd be impressed.
No argument on it being as unlikely as being struck by lightning. Was laying between two fins of anchor of type pictured when he brought it back up. Sometimes dumb luck just happens.
F75C6D78-8BE6-4A6D-9419-3A67DEC90BF9.jpeg

67RS/SSx2

Newly Enlightened
I REALLY like the PD40R v2.0. So much so I bought two. The rotating ring switch is very easy to use and seems rugged (although I have only had them a few months). A coworker borrowed mine and laid it on top of a ceiling tile then proceeded to knock it off... 9 feet to the floor. Still works great, not a hiccup!

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking at a Fenix PD40R V3.

Would that be a good choice these days?