Fenix TK35 (XM-L, 2x18650/4xCR123A) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, DETAILED COMPARISONS

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
selfbuilt... thanks so much for, yet, another great review to benefit the flashlight lovers of this forum.

I was recently seeking a really potent light for use while on the road in my new motorhome... from many suggestions, I decided to go with the TK45 for it's potency and ability to run on AA Eneloops (and alkalines if push comes to shove). I see the AA powering design as making extremely good sense in a light which might need power replenishment on-the-road, who-knows-where. I'm totally thrilled with the output, tint, beam, and user interface of the TK45. I find the triple-head design a bit weird, but I sure can't argue with the results... what the TK45 delivers to the flashlight user is nothing short of fantastic!

Now, more to the point... being a true flashaholic, I also wanted a similarly potent light that ran on my other favorite rechargeable powering source... 18650 li-ions. Partially based on your review, I decided to order a TK35 which, by all accounts, seems like a fantastic choice in a "monster" output light of compact size, for a reasonable price. Hoping my luck with the tint lottery is good. Should arrive tomorrow or Saturday and I can't wait to receive it and try it out. Thanks again for the many great reviews that you offer our community!

Last edited:

brightnorm

Flashaholic
...I have two XM-L lights (Catapult V2 and Lumintop TD15X) and the Thrunite Catapult has one of the best tints I have seen, really nice. The Lumintop however, is very cool, the spill is purplish - I would estimate >7000K. It's not objectional, just not optimum (for my tastes) and interestingly, opposite to your green sample - quite a variation with the XM-L and shows that you cannot guarantee what you recieve....
This is exactly how I would describe the beam tints of my Catapult V2 and Lumintop XM-L.

Brightnorm

squaat

Newly Enlightened
Just got my hands on a new tk35. My first foray into non nimh powered lights. I have to say I'm impressed, very impressed. I think I won the tint lottery, a nice creamy white beam, although my LED is a tad off center, but unnoticeable in real life usage. I just hope the rattly switch doesn't become this lights weak point.

Templar223

Newly Enlightened
I'm not nearly as flash-a-geeky as some here, but I got my TK-35 a couple of weeks ago.

Its "high" setting is for showing off.
Its "turbo" setting is obnoxiously bright.

I've built my share of Mag951s and ROPs over the years and the TK-35 has pretty much just replaced all of them.

Lighter, smaller, MUCH less high-maintenance, more flexible and cheaper.

I highly recommend it.

John

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had my TK-35 for a bit over a week or so and have had the opportunity to go out in the large expanse of nature with this light.

All I can say is WOW. For such a small and convenient form factor, moderate price, this light is a beautiful, nimble little MONSTER!

There is a little green in the tint noticible when white wall hunting, but in practical usage outdoors, the beam is extremely good,
clean, bright, and has no tint issues whatsoever. I am extremely impressed with the TK-35 and now consider it to be one of my
absolute MUST HAVE lights. It is easily my first choice light when I want to go outside and turn night into day. Not too narrowly
focused so it has a nicely useable wide beam for near field use, but the central beam is intense enough to be a great thrower
as well... good throw, good near field illumination... my perfect combination for an outdoor general use light. I REALLY love this light!

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really nice review as always ;). What I really like about this light is the parallel 18650 style.

rayman

dimitr3

Newly Enlightened
Great review, Selfbuilt. Now I'm inclined to go out and look for one locally. Keep 'em coming!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Do you like this over the TK41 or 45? Will the TK series deffuser tip fit this??
Don't have the TK41, but I certainly like the compact size of the TK35. It's hard to compare, since they have completely different battery arrangements (i.e. if you want to use eneloop, then the TK41 sounds like a good design). No idea about diffuser options.

HKJ

Flashaholic
What light is best depends on a lot of factors, some factors are battery and size, another is the beam: TK41 has most throw, followed by TK35 and TK45 is last. I have compared all 3 and a few other lights in a beamshot.
I believe that the TK series diffuser is for TK15 size head and the TK35 is much larger (TK41 is larger than TK35).

Hawkman

Newly Enlightened
Bought a TK35 for a colleague at work as a congratulatory gift for a year well done. Decided to get me one a week later. I absolutely love it. Guess I got lucky with the tint lottery, also. Seems a nice clean white.

I like going for a walk to the park with my dog at night and turning dark into day. No one can hide from the Fenix in turbo! :D

Good review, selfbuilt. Thanks for doing that.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Out of curiosity I wanted to see if the TK-35 can be locked out. A cc turn of about one and a third revolutions will do it, and there are two full revolutions left so there is no danger of head detachment. This may be of little interest to most owners but I am glad that the option is there.

Brightnorm

BRO

Newly Enlightened
Ordered one tonight, looking forward to it :). Hope I didn't buy the Jolly Green Beam, like to see that "nice clean white" that Hawkman speaks about....

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I own and enjoy my Catapult V2 XM-L, O-Light M3X XM-L, Eagletac M3C4 XM-L, Lumintop TD-15X XM-L and 4Sevens Maelstrom S12. They are all terrific lights, but after using the TK-35 extensively I believe that it is unique in the way it combines multiple assets: Compact size, and two-abreast battery configuration in an attractively streamlined body, relatively light weight, clever and convenient 2-button UI, headlight-type beam which achieves formidable throw without sacrificing decent width, excellent regulation and run time, and the general impression of enormous power issuing from what seems like a ridiculously small source. The fact that this outstanding light is available for around $100.00 is icing on an already tasty cake.

Brightnorm

Last edited:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightnorm..... absolutely... the TK-35 is a masterful achievement. My only complaint is that the tail positioned switches are less than convenient for operation, but aside from that... the light is a total home run for me. It's such a great light that I would never let the placement of the switches dissuade me from buying this light.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I agree about the switches, but after trying different ways of holding the light I found a grip that enables me to activate the mode switch with my little finger while holding the light in a comfortable "arm down" position for general use while walking. I can't activate the big button that way, but once it's on I'm all set. I always use the light with a short wrist lanyard which also serves as a comfortable balance that permits a very loose "gripless" hold when walking for long periods. I'm sorry I don't have a camera to show what I mean.

Brightnorm