Fenix TK40 Review - NEW beamshots up

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to say I am a little bit surprised with those results, but then again I have a cheap energizer charger and batteries are rather generic I think.

Your batteries are probably not true 2700mAh. This is the result I got with Conrad 2500mAh cells (true capacity)

flashlightcomparison.png

SantaClawz

Newly Enlightened
jirik

So you got slightly over 2 hours on turbo mode continuous? Wow, that is just strange, I mean mine keeps running but after the 30 or so minutes the brightness clearly wasn't turbo anymore, it started to shine as if on medium setting from that point on. I think I'll give it another shot but this time with my new Eneloops, hopefully that will change the outcome.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, slightly over 2 hours on turbo with 2500mAh cells and around 1 hour and 40 minutes with Eneloops.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Maybe Fenix has changed the circuit in TK40 to drop in brightness after some time, like on TK45?
When it drops in brightness can you turn it off and then on again to get full brightness?

ECL

Newly Enlightened
What about temperature? My Quark Turbo last about 50% longer on turbo when I put it in a bucket of water

SantaClawz

Newly Enlightened
I just finished testing the TK40 on HIGH setting, wanted to see how long it would shine on high. I placed brand new, factory pre-charged Eneloops into the TK and let it run on high. After 3 hours and 20 minutes, the brightness went down to about medium setting and if I tried to switch between medium, high and turbo, the brightness was identical in all three modes (about equivalent to medium).

HKJ,
Mine obviously keeps dropping in brightness and faster than what Fenix suggests at their website. When I turned it off and on again, it wouldn't go back to the original brightness, it's still dimmed down to a lower output. :shakehead

Last edited:

SantaClawz

Newly Enlightened
What about temperature? My Quark Turbo last about 50% longer on turbo when I put it in a bucket of water

While on high setting I kept it in my basement room all the time, sitting on a nightstand. Room temperature is around 20 degrees Celsius which is 68 Fahrenheit.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I placed brand new, factory pre-charged Eneloops into the TK and let it run on high. After 3 hours and 20 minutes, the brightness went down to about medium setting and if I tried to switch between medium, high and turbo, the brightness was identical in all three modes (about equivalent to medium).

Eneloops are precharged to about 75% capacity. Charge them and try again...

As previously mentioned ,Turbo mode can be used for only 15 minutes.Do i miss something?

You can use it as long as the light is cool enough.

SemperFi

Banned
Thank you for posting these comparative beam-shots. "Real life" pics are always an excellent way to assess flashlights — particularly when, as in most cases, one can't get hold of the lights themselves.

I've taken the liberty of appending the images' EXIF data, and commented accordingly. I mean no disrespect to you, and appreciate your input and the time it's taken to get these pics together, but I need to make a comment that's relevant.

Unfortunately, the random (AUTO?) settings you've chosen (and which I've highlighted) for your Fuji SP570 camera affect our perception of the beam-shots for both of these flashlights. And that's why your last X21 shot looks like daylight!

You need to ensure that you use identical camera settings for all your beam-shots, otherwise any meaningful comparison is lost. The adverse effect is most noticeable (and exaggerated at higher ISOs) within the flashlight's hot-spots.

—Cheers, Jack. :)

That's a great uncovering Jack and certainly "none" taken, much appreciated on the contrary. :goodjob:

I just noticed yr input today which led back to May, as I did not return on this topic since. But yes, it was on "Auto" mode as I've yet to overcome the mode settings on this Olympus camera. No, its not a Fuji.

Someday, I'll do a rerun again and through the HD Sanyo Xacti CG10 camera on 720p settings.

Cheersch mate.:buddies:

SF.

Click>>: Friends, enjoy the recent Santana Concert with me snapped for YouTube.

Last edited:

Tbone559

Newly Enlightened
Great review, Im new to CPF and this site is awsome. I have my tk40 sitting on my night stand, I figured instead of shooting a burglar why not try to blind them...lot less paperwork!

stoli67

Enlightened
I have both the TK40 and the 45...

I like the UI on the 45 better... 2 buttons.... not as confusing.

The beams are different though.

TK40 more throw

TK45 more flood..... a wall of light ... nice

Stoli67

SemperFi

Banned
I'm glad I made my choice on the TK40 and soon after, the X12 from LedLenser. Reason being the realization on what a throw can accomplish to ascertain its reach when it was then engulfed by the X21's flood & throw with a simple slide of the head. WOW.... is the magnification achieved from just 4 D cells in the X21.

Hence, no need to go for the TK45 for my own reasons, just to find out just how much better or not at all, as in contrast to the TK40. Both blasting together simultaneously would still not beat the size, distance or range that the LedLenser X21 would overcome both flashing its best together by an extra furlong or more...:thumbsup:

Last edited:

CyberCT

Enlightened
OK, so the TK40 draws roughly 2.6 amps on turbo, up to possible 3 amps for a very short period of time? I'm confused as to why it briefly goes up to 3 amps.

I have an idea ...

So I found a thread on how to disassemble the head enough to get to the LED here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?260884-Fenix-TK40-with-Collimating-lens-beamshots

I see my TK40 to be a perfect host for an LED replacement: a T6 neutral white LED! The max current draw from the driver will suit the LED very nicely. Unless someone with more knowledge will tell me forward voltage (which I don't quite understand) or some other reason that an XML would not work in this light.

I have not use for my TK40 anymore and if I were to sell it it wouldn't be worth the sale. It is drowned out by the TK41, TK35, and even IMO the TK45. Can someone with LED knowledge confirm this should essentially work? I did mod two of my LD20s and my Fenix PD31 with neutral XPG-R5s, but they came with cool white XPG-R5s to begin with so they are essentially the same LED.

Last edited: