Fenix TK70 with measurements and outdoor beamshots

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can answer a couple of those questions:
As it is current controlled output, the total current draw ranges between about 4.5 and 9.5 Amperes on turbo. See the turbo chart. The draw at emitter would be split equally between the three emitters.
The level step-downs are purely voltage based, nothing to do with time or temperature.

Yes, the light uses about 30 to 36 watt on turbo, that is 10 to 12 watt for each led. This is enough to drive a XM-L led at 3 ampere (This requires 10 watt) and also have some driver looses at the higher current.

I uses a fan for cooling.

No, it is because the batteries are low in voltage.

Many thanks for the reply. samgab & HKJ! :thanks:

SkyPup

Newly Enlightened
I've been using mine routinely for over a month now and it really delivers the lumens when I need them. Have not found anything wrong or any downside to it yet. The strap works fine for my use but will replace with a more substantial cloth strap in the future.

harro

Enlightened
Hi, I am in the process of buying a TK70, after also looking long and carefully at the SR92. As Zed888 says, as nice as the SR92 is, its a little bit difficult to justify the price. At least if the TK does get a few scratches, you wont feel quite so bad. Is 60 minutes all you can expect on a quality set of 10,000mah NiMh cells? I guess you can at least charge cells individually, occasionally to give some sort of cell balance.
Best wishes, Mike.

Me2sleepy

Newly Enlightened
Great review, I so want to get this like when I read about it. But would it be a waste if it just gonna sit my home (big city rent space w/o backyard) and only use it on an annual camping?

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I am in the process of buying a TK70, after also looking long and carefully at the SR92. As Zed888 says, as nice as the SR92 is, its a little bit difficult to justify the price. At least if the TK does get a few scratches, you wont feel quite so bad. Is 60 minutes all you can expect on a quality set of 10,000mah NiMh cells? I guess you can at least charge cells individually, occasionally to give some sort of cell balance.
Best wishes, Mike.

Yes, 60 minutes is all you can expect on Turbo between charges... But the head gets REALLY hot if left on turbo... I don't think I'd want to run it for an hour on turbo continuously without some kind of cooling.
When I did my runtime test I ran it under cold water periodically because I was worried about the heat it was getting up to.
My fears may have been unfounded, but I was concerned none-the-less.

harro

Enlightened
Best wishes, Mike.
Well, after having bought the TK, i'm not dissapointed. Huge output. Huge appetite on turbo ( about 55 mins on 10aH 'D' cells ) but there's three lower settings if 2200 lms is too much. I notice if you run constantly on turbo without forced cooling, after about 15 mins or so, it drops a level for thermal protection. Makes my mate's LLX21 look a little pale but!!
Best wishes, Mike.

joe1512

Enlightened
How come I don't see any of the pictures? This seems to be a common theme with CPF's even slightly older posts.

HKJ

Flashaholic
How come I don't see any of the pictures? This seems to be a common theme with CPF's even slightly older posts.

This time it must be something with your computer.
CPF does not host the pictures, it must be done by the poster, usual on some photo site that has a time limit. When the photo site removes the picture it will also disappear here.
My pictures are hosted on my own website and as long as I am running that site, the pictures will be there (This will hopefully be for many years).

John7Boy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all for comments and especially HKJ for expert review of TK70. I'm new to flashlights- just been going 12months. Just got my Fenix TK70 for less than $200, plus 4x D cell carriers for 2x AA eneloop in each. Tried it out briefly and it is absolutely worth the price. Sure its bigger than TM 11 which I was considering but the extra throw of the TK70 for out bush is fantastic. My Fenix TK70 Easily beats my Trustfire ST-80 T8, Trustfire TR-3T6 and SkyRay 3800 for distant illumination and significantly floodier IMO. I have been running tk70 with only 8xeneloop AAs in 4x D carriers that came with tk70. Have just charged my Tenergy Centura D cell NiMH LSD batteries and quick check in daylight and novice light meter check show significant improvement with Tenergy D cells- will have to wait for tonight for my standard benchmark point comparisions- sorry no beamshots- don't want to upset neighbours "in the valley".

Thanks again to everyone for their input especially HKJ and Selfbuilt expert reviews.

Regards
John
Trustfire Cree TR-3T6 XML, Trustfire Li-ion 18650 Charger TR-001, Trustfire ST-80 T8, SkyRay 3xT6 Cree XML 3800, Keygos KE-5 pro-series Cree XML-T6, Ultrafire C8-Q5, Fenix TK70 3Cree XML 2200lm,
MAHA MH-C9000 charger, MAHA
MH-C808M charger.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Hmmm...I wonder what the changes would be if I were to De-Dome the 3 LEDs....:devil:

mauiblue

Newly Enlightened
A few months ago (back in December) a member suggested to me to get the Fenix TK70 as I was searching for a flashlight that took batteries that was more readily available locally. I was gravitating toward D cell. I eventually went another route and got the Nitecore TM-11 Tiny Monster which I am enjoying every night I work with it. But even though I got the Tiny Monster, I still was fascinated by the massive size and performance of the TK70. And now that I have a Maha MH-C808M charger, I am definitely interested in the TK70. Since the TK70 has been out for a while is there other model upgrades coming out anytime soon though? Just was wondering as I would rather go with the latest and greatest revision of this massive torch.

Steve'O

Newly Enlightened
Well, I just recently got a TK70, and the dealer told me that he had only just received them. All I can say is, in my opinion it don't need any upgrade.
It illuminates far away objects brighter than my SR90, or at least it did until I de-domed the SR90's emitter.
Fenix have done a really good job with this light.

Edit: There is one small thing that Fenix could pay attention to, the closing end of the tail cap spring ort to be de burred or closed in better to stop it chaffing and digging in to the battery contact. Other than that little niggle, this flashlight is superb !

Last edited:

mauiblue

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Stevo for your input. It is feedback like yours that makes me want to buy the TK70. I'm still shopping around for the rechargeable batteries I'll be using for the torch.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

trevordurden

Newly Enlightened
Since the TK70 has been out for a while is there other model upgrades coming out anytime soon though? Just was wondering as I would rather go with the latest and greatest revision of this massive torch.

When it comes to technology, there's always new models and upgrades coming out. I'd personally get something out for long so I can read the reviews about all the problems with it so I can decide if it's worth getting or not. Specs mean it's good on paper, but it terms of practical usage, it's good to know the downfalls as well.