Fenix TK76 Review

firelord777

Enlightened
Fenix has confirmed that the neutral white LED in my sample is in fact an XM-L, but that production models will ship with XM-L2s LEDs

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great pics! Thanks for comparing sizes and beamshots with other Fenixes, it makes it a lot easier on figuring out what it's like in person. I often go out on the trail with multiple lights just for kicks but, even with a comparable lumens count, the TK76 seems even better. Gotta switch from chicken to rice for a while to get me one :D

Patriot

Flashaholic
Outstanding! That shot with all three beams on is one of the neatest I've ever seen. You have to give Fenix credit for the beam quality from these new, multi-beam models like the TK76 and TK71. It's great to see new ground being broken and I'm glad it's Fenix that's doing it.

ven

Flashaholic
byzudy7e.jpg

Many thanks firelord:twothumbs
So unless i am missing something with the right conditions(temp)it can run for an hour at 90% +(obv with the right batts) if so thats fantastic.

markr6

Flashaholic
Wow that's one ugly SOB. But the beamshots are great and show how functional this light can be; a nice all-in-one package. It would be neat to see something like it on a smaller scale, maybe 2,3 or 4 AA.

firelord777

Enlightened
Great pics! Thanks for comparing sizes and beamshots with other Fenixes, it makes it a lot easier on figuring out what it's like in person. I often go out on the trail with multiple lights just for kicks but, even with a comparable lumens count, the TK76 seems even better. Gotta switch from chicken to rice for a while to get me one :D

Thanks man, I'm just like you, I always tell myself "only a few flashlights..." Next thing I know I bring my whole collection of lights lol:D

firelord777

Enlightened
Outstanding! That shot with all three beams on is one of the neatest I've ever seen. You have to give Fenix credit for the beam quality from these new, multi-beam models like the TK76 and TK71. It's great to see new ground being broken and I'm glad it's Fenix that's doing it.

Thanks bud:)

If you don't mind, I tried searching for the TK71 and couldn't find anything, would you care to illuminate me?

Cheers:)

firelord777

Enlightened
byzudy7e.jpg

Many thanks firelord:twothumbs
So unless i am missing something with the right conditions(temp)it can run for an hour at 90% +(obv with the right batts) if so thats fantastic.

Yep, that's basically it:)

firelord777

Enlightened
Wow that's one ugly SOB. But the beamshots are great and show how functional this light can be; a nice all-in-one package. It would be neat to see something like it on a smaller scale, maybe 2,3 or 4 AA.

Although we all have different opinions on appearances, I do agree. I too would love to see something like this in AA format...

Richwouldnt

Enlightened

Agreed 100% with the smaller AA version or a TK35 battery tubed compact head version but it looks to me like the size, mass and styling will kill it as the popularity seems to be underwhelming based on the minimal responses to the test reports both here and on BLF. People go ape over the maximum throwers but a design like this which is intended to handle 98% of practical uses, with reasonable throw and outstanding flood, seems to be going over like a lead balloon. I do have one on the way which I found on a clearance sale from a major web seller. Clearance sale on a 6 month since introduction light for $244 including shipping?! Still not cheap though.

One thing I have not figured out is the purpose of the vented openings above the wide angle lights lenses. They look like they are about the right size to warm your Vienna sausages for lunch or supper:confused:

InfinitusEquitas

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used my TK76, modded to increase output to ~4400 lumens, and with two LEDs dedomed (the center, and the non 90 degree flood) last weekend for camping.

The light is absolutely fantastic for practical purposes, and allowed me to have perfect mid range illumination with the center LED off.

The vented openings are a design aesthetic combined with need for heatsinking. On my modded light it does get hot on turbo, and I expect even on a stock light you would run into problems with temperature eventually. The biggest issue in terms of hurting sales with this light is it really is a tool, and departs completely from the traditional flashlight aesthetic. I got several comments about how it's something out of star trek.

That said, from a user perspective, my biggest problem with it, is that it's quite top heavy. I highly suggest grabbing a TK75 extension tube for it (it fits just fine) to balance it out.

The UI is also very intuitive, and simple. Only downside is that if you set a multi LED configuration, for example, left led Level 1, center off, right LED Level 2, if you turn off, and turn back on, the center LED will also come back on with whatever level you had it set to, before it was turned off.

For all practical purposes, short of Search & Rescue which requires a longer reach, the TK76 definitely fills a niche... the other option would be to carry 2-3 lights instead.

Latest posts