** Finally a true P60 thrower

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a ton of throw from a P60 drop-in. You have to go smaller which the XR-E R2 EZ900 certainly does over the XR-E R2 EZ100. In fact at as you might have seen my old set-up had ez900 and generated 32.5K lux.

The reason I switched back to the EZ1000 size is simple. The EZ1000 can take the extra heat and actually generate more lumens, but yes overall lux is less. But in person the EZ1000 just looks soo much brighter and from 27.5K vs. 32.5K lux my eyes simply cant tell which throws more. What is apparent is that the EZ1000 at 27.5K lux is alot brighter and just looks more impressive.

for the record the EZ1000 with P60 drop-in by Nailbender at 1.3A and SMO reflector nets 13~13.5K lux at 1m.

The record holder for P60 type drop-ins (well not really a drop-in, but you send in youre 6P type hosts) is the Saablaster DEFT EDC XP-C which does 40K lux at 1m.

bigC

thanks for clearing that up for me!

my 900 is dedicated to my Ahorton lens kit which seems appropriate for the higher lux etc.

Last edited:

bmmeadors

Newly Enlightened
I put one of those XP-C Q4 behind one of the 28mm DX aspherics, after seeing one of saabluster's post about it's surface brightness. I put it with a 3x7135 driving it around 1A, and it makes a considerable brighter and smaller hotspot than my EZ900 XR-E R2. It's a dandy little emitter. I wish that I could get them on 14mm or 16mm PCBs though, since these reflectors won't screw down well on top of a 10mm board. Maybe now is a good time to learn how to reflow an emitter onto a board. :thumbsup:

vincent3664

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Orbital for a great mod. This is just what I was looking for. I am using the Manafont reflector along with a Dereelight XP-E R3 3SM emitter on my C2 Centurion with Z-48 tailcap. I use AW and Battery Station RCR 123's to power it. The additional throw is just amazing. I did have a couple of questions though. For some reason, every once in a while, when I press the tailcap to turn the light on it won't fire, as though the batteries are dead. But when I give it a a little bump against my hand it comes on. This only happens occasionally. Do you or anyone else have any idea what the problem could be? I am only using the short inside spring in the drop in as instructed when using with a Surefire. Also, How much runtime on high can I expect with the 750 mah batteries I am using? Thanks for any info you can provide.

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Orbital for a great mod. This is just what I was looking for. I am using the Manafont reflector along with a Dereelight XP-E R3 3SM emitter on my C2 Centurion with Z-48 tailcap. I use AW and Battery Station RCR 123's to power it. The additional throw is just amazing. I did have a couple of questions though. For some reason, every once in a while, when I press the tailcap to turn the light on it won't fire, as though the batteries are dead. But when I give it a a little bump against my hand it comes on. This only happens occasionally. Do you or anyone else have any idea what the problem could be? I am only using the short inside spring in the drop in as instructed when using with a Surefire. Also, How much runtime on high can I expect with the 750 mah batteries I am using? Thanks for any info you can provide.

+

1:Is there any play between your batteries and light, that may be an issue.
2:Also, make sure there is an isolator* between your pill & reflector so your solder points don't touch the reflector.
3: Double check the switch

Try and eliminate one possibility at a time till you find it.

Runtime will vary, maybe figure an hour of using all levels evenly..

*the isolator {the thin plastic circle} between your pill & reflector
is where you want to place very thin non-conductive spacers '
isolators' to fine tune your beam. The original isolator may be enough for spacer.
....this sound involved, but it's straightforward idea.

Be patient and keep trying, till you get the best beam pattern.
It's worth it!

Last edited:

vincent3664

Newly Enlightened
+
Thanks for all the info orbital. I checked for play in the batteries and they seem quite snug. At first I didn't see the isolator because it's clear. Now I see what you're talking about. Are you saying I should try to put in an additional isolator or is the original one removable? Where would I get an assortment of isolators to experiment with? I have no idea how to double check the switch. I don't have a multimeter. Wait a minute, I think I'll try the original tactical switch that came with the light to eliminate this possibility. Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my questions. Awesome mod!

1:Is there any play between your batteries and light, that may be an issue.
2:Also, make sure there is an isolator* between your pill & reflector so your solder points don't touch the reflector.
3: Double check the switch

Try and eliminate one possibility at a time till you find it.

Runtime will vary, maybe figure an hour of using all levels evenly..

*the isolator {the thin plastic circle} between your pill & reflector
is where you want to place very thin non-conductive spacers '
isolators' to fine tune your beam. The original isolator may be enough for spacer.
....this sound involved, but it's straightforward idea.

Be patient and keep trying, till you get the best beam pattern.
It's worth it!

fyrstormer

Banned
Orbital,

Great find! I'm curious to find out if that same reflector will produce a tighter beam w/ an XPG emitter, it could give the HCRI and WW XPGs more useful range.
The XP-G will always produce a larger hotspot than the XP-E if both use the same reflector, because the XP-G emitter is wider.

jac2001

Newly Enlightened
After following this thread for a while I decided to try a slight variation. I ordered the LOP version of the same reflector from Manafont, SKU#5734....
http://www.manafont.com/product_inf...reflector-for-r5q5t6-led-dropin-module-p-5183

I installed it on my Nailbender XPE R3 1.5A module in my Surefire D2.
It's too early for outdoor beam shots, but I'll do a few indoor shots and post outdoor later tonight.....

So far it seems pretty good, at least indoors, and while I realize it isn't as throwy as the smooth, but should get rid of the donut hole while still offering very good throw.
We'll see in a couple of hours.....

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good news.

I finally have the 1.4A single mode driver, XP-E R4 from cutterelectonics on 10mm board, and the manafront XM-L SMO reflector. This Saturday is the CPF BBQ in San Jose, CA and I will finish assembly of this drop-in by then.

Then get some pictures and video of it against a DEFT EDC, LumaPower D-mini w/35mm SMO at 23.5K lux via XR-E R2 EZ1000, and some other custom Ahorton 27.5mm Aspheric builds. Maybe throw in a normal P60 XR-E R2 SMO reflector for comparison.

bigC

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
After following this thread for a while I decided to try a slight variation. I ordered the LOP version of the same reflector from Manafont, SKU#5734....
http://www.manafont.com/product_inf...reflector-for-r5q5t6-led-dropin-module-p-5183

I installed it on my Nailbender XPE R3 1.5A module in my Surefire D2.
It's too early for outdoor beam shots, but I'll do a few indoor shots and post outdoor later tonight.....

So far it seems pretty good, at least indoors, and while I realize it isn't as throwy as the smooth, but should get rid of the donut hole while still offering very good throw.
We'll see in a couple of hours.....

+

So that's a parabolic OP?

Good news.

I finally have the 1.4A single mode driver, XP-E R4 from cutterelectonics on 10mm board, and the manafront XM-L SMO reflector. This Saturday is the CPF BBQ in San Jose, CA and I will finish assembly of this drop-in by then.

Then get some pictures and video of it against a DEFT EDC, LumaPower D-mini w/35mm SMO at 23.5K lux via XR-E R2 EZ1000, and some other custom Ahorton 27.5mm Aspheric builds. Maybe throw in a normal P60 XR-E R2 SMO reflector for comparison.

bigC

+

Sounds good!
Make sure that XP-E is perfectly centered in the pill ==::==

Seriously though , I hope your not going for a Guinness Book of World Records for P60 Lux,..
you'll be disappointed then.

What you'll have, is one great drop-in that's definitely leaning toward throw,
having flawless spill.

You don't want to go into something with overly high expectations, then be let down...;)

***Remember, you may need to fine tune the beam via emitter distance
with one or two of your thinnest isolators {spacers}

Last edited:

SoSideways

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to dig this old thread back up, but was there any news, in terms of new discoveries or findings in regards to the XP-Es?

Anything more on the XP-E and the Manafont reflector from BigC?