Fine in workmanship, astounding in power: reviewing Nitecore EC4

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Well the idea of die casting is really refreshing.
Will it be a trend? :confused:

Lets hope not.

:D

Summary of Die Cast (Vs forged and then CNC on forged material)

Die Cast:

Light with low production cost (after tooling)
Poor tension strength due to pockets, cracks and non aligned grain
Does not tolerate bending (brittle)
Cracks and voids allow entry points for corrosion to start.
Very easy to machine, drill and tap
Poor strength and high levels of impurities that add to the weakness.

IE: Lighter as its less dense, but more brittle, easier to shatter rather than dent, etc.

Its only advantages are in the manufacturing, and cost savings, not in user benefit. (Other than a reduced cost, and ability to less expensively obtain certain shapes, etc....which can be important as a separate issue)

Die cast aluminum is used for cheap, less durable products. Forged aluminum is used for more durable products.

So, not saying its not a nice light, etc...just pointing out that presenting die cast Al as some sort of technological breakthrough is misleading, as its a step backwards in quality...not progress.

I liked your review, very well done Sir!

easilyled

Flashaholic
^^ Thanks for that TEEJ.

I'd like to think that this is really an independent review, but the cynical side of me has me wondering.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow that is beautifully captured @Parrot Quack

Thanks! Of course, it's not my image but if you have any further questions, I now have the HC90 in my possession. :eek:

It's a very nice headlamp with one problem, being so bright and close to the eyes, it reflects all the dust in the air. A bit of a distraction. Very well made and easy to use and has great upfront coverage. It couples nicely with a hand carried light such as the TM16 or the smaller HC4.

The HC90 is a bit of an expensive light but once the light has been used, you're thoughts are on the lamp itself and not the price of the lamp. For the first fifty yards, it has very nice up close lighting. It's an excellent nighttime trail walking light.

Other than price and one needing a battery, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this light to someone wanting a headlamp.

Last edited:

TacMatt

Newly Enlightened
Thank you guys, Thank you TEEJ . Just back from Salt Lake Outdoor Retailer Show, guess what, Nitecore got more new Die Cast product, The HA20 Headlamp !