Fire-Foxes III compared to Magic Scorpion 40W and 85W Ebay HID...

BVH

Flashaholic
I'm using AW IMR 1600's and had about 7 minutes run time on the batteries prior to the test so I don't know what steady Amps are with topped off cells. But I'm sure your 3.5 is in the ball park, maybe even a bit less.

Last edited:

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
My FFIII is clocking in at 224k lux at 1m and eating 18350 cells (not a typo...kids don't try this at home) at a clip of 4 every 10:51. Lovin' me some FFIII!!! :bow:

Last edited:

jayrob

Enlightened
Worthy of the double post...

I just got news that the ebay seller has listed the lights with 4300K bulbs now.

I asked them to also list the bulb replacements for 4300K because of lots of people that already have the lights and want to get replacement bulbs.

So that should be easy to find soon enough with a search for 'HID flashlight bulb 4300k'... :)

jayrob

Enlightened

Since they don't like us to quote sale sites, you can just Google 'Fire-Foxes Group Buy'

Then you will see a link to the GB that Lips did...

From there, you can try to see if he is going to possibly do another GB, because there was a huge savings. Not only that, but these are just about impossible to get.

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
i ran my ff3 infront of my air conditioner tonight for 20 mins lol .... no step down :)

jayrob

Enlightened
My top 4 lights right now are Barn Burner, Maxabeam, FF3, Mac's Customs 3840L.

Not bad company for the little guy. :)

Yeah hanging out with the big boys!

It's getting all the attention because of how bright it is, along with it's incredibly small size.

But I should mention that the Magic Scorpion is also a very nice 40W HID! :) (IMO)

It is comparable in throw, with a deeper reflector. The one thing that really stands out to me, is how quite the ballast is for the Scorpion...

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've decided that the 3300L and the FFIII are a good match. Easily handheld, each hugely powerful, once a wall of light and the other with some punch.

I've been running on AW IMR 1600's. Mine stepped down after 9 mins while tailstanding on the kitchen table. The light cut out after 25 mins, the batteries came out at 3.5, 3.5, 3.1 and 2.6 volts. It appears I have one weak battery, but the circuit seems to be able to monitor them individually and cut out to protect the weaker cell. The others still had a good 20% left in them.

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
............... The light cut out after 25 mins, the batteries came out at 3.5, 3.5, 3.1 and 2.6 volts. It appears I have one weak battery, but the circuit seems to be able to monitor them individually and cut out to protect the weaker cell. The others still had a good 20% left in them.

I would guess that each cell is not monitored for voltage but that the LVC circuit tripped on overall pack low Voltage. Further guessing that each of your cells recovered to your measured Voltage total of 12.7V in the time it took you to get them out and measure them but that the LVC tripped at 12V.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess that'd be more likely :)

So if my weak cell got much weaker it'd be over discharging and pushing the safety limits.

Time for new batteries!

BVH

Flashaholic
Yes, a very good point you make. LVC is not fool-proof protection for unprotected cells in Series. Best to charge all four cells in the same charger at the same time - even though the charger might have four independent circuits and you may get varying finish voltages. They're bound to be close, though. Or better yet, parallel charge them in a custom made cradle as I do.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, a very good point you make. LVC is not fool-proof protection for unprotected cells in Series. Best to charge all four cells in the same charger at the same time - even though the charger might have four independent circuits and you may get varying finish voltages. They're bound to be close, though. Or better yet, parallel charge them in a custom made cradle as I do.

I've built a parallel charger for my unprotected 32650's I use in my 3300L to ensure they're properly balanced. They go in the same and come out 0.1V different. Not bad by my reckoning.

I do charge the 4 IMR's in the same charger and they all come out within 0.05V of each other, but it seems this one cell in particular is a bit weak.

For now I won't bother too much. I know I get a solid 20mins out of them, and will just avoid running it until shut off. Once I buy 4 new, dedicated cells for the FFIII I'll look into a dedicated, parallel, charger for them.

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
anyone running the new panasonic 3400mahs? just wondering how much more runtime you are getting and how the cells run?

Im running sanyo 2600s now, they seem to fit better in the battery case... i tried aw3100s, they were a tight fit... i noticed running the sanyos, the light seems to get a little hotter faster... its the same thing when i run a single sanyo 2600 in a different light as well... maybe the discharge current is slightly higher from these cells?

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
If that were the case, the IMR's I'm using would be getting toasty.

It's possible the lower the internal resistance of the cell (IMR is much lower than LiCo) the lower the temp of the cell when under load.

The 2600 would have a higher IR than the 3100, therefore run hotter under high load.