first Impressions of my new Zebralight H60

naked2

Enlightened
Another option to make it more running-compatible is to make a external battery pack...
Would it be possible/smart to use AA batteries in such pack even though the lamp uses 18650 batteries? Of course connected in series so the voltage is around 3.6V
The "lamp" doesn't use 18650 cells, but the body is sized for them. The circuitry requires 3.7V, so any configuration accomplishing this would technically work.

I would use 18650 cells in a battery pack though (maybe two in parallel, for EXTRA long runtime), because you could also use them in the main body, more versatile.

But if you were modding a light for remote pack use only, I'd stick with the H30; smaller and lighter with same beam (only con= less modes). But you probably wouldn't need a super low for running anyways, and extended runtimes on turbo would still heat up the light, regardless of where the cells are.

shining

Newly Enlightened
Shorty66, your wire mod is great. Pity Zebralight did not think about it - the bouncing problem is definitely the holder's design flaw. Are these wires sold anywhere? It fits like a glove.

Paul

Newly Enlightened
I'm kind of an amateur when it comes to light, lumens and such, but as far as I've understood the lumen rating says something about how well the light shines at distance. Wouldn't it then be a good idea to compare beams shining on something far away? A good test that I saw somewhere was to set up cones (or other objects) for each few meters away from the light and compare how long they'll reach.
Is somebody willing to do that? :)

Shorty66

Enlightened
Shorty66, your wire mod is great. Pity Zebralight did not think about it - the bouncing problem is definitely the holder's design flaw. Are these wires sold anywhere? It fits like a glove.

The wire is from a coathanger wich came with my coat from the cleaning service. Its quite easy to bend with some proper pliers. I just cut a bit of it an bent it in a proper shape. With y second try, the shape was perfect.

Just go ahead and search some wire wich is strong enough that you are not able to bend it by hand. That should work.

@paul: the lumens indicate how much total light output there is. Its about how much light leaves the lamp in any direction.
To compare lumens, it best to show how well a room is lit up by a ceiling bounce test if you dont have an expensive integrating sphere.

The rating wich says something about how bright a light is at a given distance is the "throw" rating wich is measured in lux@1meter.

Last edited:

ichoderso

Enlightened
I'm kind of an amateur when it comes to light, lumens and such, but as far as I've understood the lumen rating says something about how well the light shines at distance. Wouldn't it then be a good idea to compare beams shining on something far away? A good test that I saw somewhere was to set up cones (or other objects) for each few meters away from the light and compare how long they'll reach.
Is somebody willing to do that? :)

+1 shorty!

paul, it's not possible to compare luxreadings from a floody headlamp with a thrower. My luxreadings are only to compare this 3 headlights side by side, all have the same flody beam....

If you have a "ideal thrower", this make a very bright point of light with much million lux at one or 100 meters:thumbsup:
but it is not possible to walk with this light through a dark wood, if the area around the bright spot is dark

Jens

drmaxx

Enlightened
I'm kind of an amateur when it comes to light, lumens and such, but as far as I've understood the lumen rating says something about how well the light shines at distance.

Not really: The lumens express the amount of light that the light emits. How far the beam 'goes' depends heavily on the reflector and therefore the projected beam shape. E.g. a laser with less then 5 mW can shine a few 100 yards. So the lumens don't tell you anything about how far the light will throw.

vincebdx

Newly Enlightened
After 15mn and 22°C ambient (infrared thermometer):

passive cooled

H60
190lm: Head:59°C - Body:47°C
110lm: Head:46°C - Body:42°C

H30
80lm : Head:45°C - Body:44°C

Last edited:

choaticwhisper

Enlightened
Almost ashamed to admit it but maybe youll get a laugh, I thought that tube on the table was the light, I was thinking "how small is that table and chairs?" Ive figured it out though.

But I have the h30 the 80lm is just way to much when working up close or something.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Hopefully 4-sevens will ship their backordered H60's tomorrow as they state on the website. I am anxious to get mine and have a caving trip planned for Sunday.

So if I am lucky, I'll receive mine overnight (likely since I live so close to them) and will be able to take it caving and give a report of its use in complete darkness.

I ended up ordering 4 more of the Tenergy 2600mAH protected 18650's from all-battery.com since they sell them for about half the price of 4-sevens. I figured that if this is the battery that is being sold with the headlamp, then it must be a good fit. Last thing I need is to wait weeks for something to show up from DX only to find out it doesn't fit.

I've been really bummed since I haven't been able to find my H50 for the past month, so the wait for the H60 is really killing me. Right now I have to read in bed with a crappy Ray-0-Vac 1xAA headlamp.

nvrdark

Newly Enlightened
I also ordered an H60 from 4 sevens and am waiting. When I ordered mine nothing was said about a free battery and charger, as it dose now??? I wonder if I will get one. I also ordered the 2500mah batteries form DX. Hopefully I'll get the one with the light and it will fit. I hate getting a new light and not able to fire it up right away.

ichoderso

Enlightened
Hi all, have updated pictures, beamshots and luxreadings with the new H501!
post 1,2, 29, 38
Jens

kenL

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, you got me very interested in this lamp. My only question is, should I get the H50 or the new H501. I don't mind paying the extra $10 but wondering if the H50 is more useful for camping because of wider angle. Thanks guys, good review.

ichoderso

Enlightened
new Beamshots: I have tried to take the realistic white balance in camera settings (identical on all this beamshots)

H30 (Q5)
DSCF2924.jpg

H501 (Q3-5A)
DSCF2925.jpg

H30
DSCF2928.jpg

H501
DSCF2927.jpg

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys, you got me very interested in this lamp. My only question is, should I get the H50 or the new H501. I don't mind paying the extra $10 but wondering if the H50 is more useful for camping because of wider angle. Thanks guys, good review.

I have the H501 on the way. I only chose it over the H50 because it has a clickie switch which allows for one hand operation, as I intend to clip it on the belt and shirt pocket.

If the H50 has a clickie switch, it would have been my choice.

ichoderso

Enlightened

in a room or in a tent, i prefer the H50. for outdoor using, walking etc, the H501!

Jens

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is that shiny reflector around the H60's emitter a separate piece inserted into the H60 head? What's it made of? How is it fixed into place?