First LED 18650 EDC flashlight

Daba

Newly Enlightened
First of all, :wave: to all CPF ladies and gents, my first post here. I read couple dozen posts and reviews in search for my first quality flashlight, narrowed my choice and checklist looks like this (further comments if i have some are below every check mark in list):

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

_X__This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).
(Well, location kinda matter, because i was thinking about buying this from specific online store, explained below.)

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

_X__Up to $50.
_X__Up to $100.
(It would be nice that price is in lower range, but if it's worth it bank loan is always option :whistle:)

3) Format:

_X__I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

_X__TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
_X__SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
(Tiny/pocket size would be better)

5) Emitter/Light source:

_X__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

_X__I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What power source do you want to use?

_X__I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).
(It would be nice if it can accept both, button and flat top 18650 batteries, i already have bunch of high drain IMR 18650, 18500 and 18350)

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option

_X__I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)
(Already have Xtar VP2 charger)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

_X__I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

_X__SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

_X__Narrow Throw: I want a beam with a very tight "hot center" and minimal "side-spill". Good for distance viewing, fog, and looking through dense undergrowth.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

_X__150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)
(Not searching from helicopter but i need bright light on 100 meter mark)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

_X__30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

_X__Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

_X__I don't know.
(This is only thing i really don't know what is best to choose. I never had flashlight with led and multiple levels.)

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

_X__I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
_X__I want a programmable light.
_X__I want a selector ring.
_X__I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")
(I want it all, even that "remote" thing sounds interesting. :clap:)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

_X__Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
_X__Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).

15) Water resistance

_X__IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions

_X__Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)

This was nice long checklist, but that's not all. I have couple specific wishes and that was reason for opening new thread and didn't picked up one of the choices suggested in other similar threads. Moonlight mode also sounds to me like very useful thing so it would be nice if i have it. Strobe is a must, i am working in security department and i prefer cool white light. I think that is all regarding flashlight options.
Now something about store options. I have to buy it online because there is no viable quality options in my country. I only saw couple of Fenix lights but they were way over priced. I am thinking to buy one of Eagletac flashlights from ru.nkon because i have nice experience with them regarding batteries and only for Eagletac lights VAT is subtracted from price. I narrowed options to these flashlights:
G25C2 Mark II XM-L2 U2
TX25C2 XM-L2 CW
T25C2 XP-L V5
P25LC2 XM-L2 CW
Any further help about final choice, pros and cons for them and other online store options are welcomed.
Thanks in advance.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive got dozens of lights and my 6 Eagletacs are among my favorites. Do you really want a selector ring? If so that pretty much limits you to Nitecores SRT series and some Sunwaymans. For the rest of your requirements the Eagletacs are perfect. What I love about my TX25C2, G25C2 MkII and my 2 T25C2's are the extra extension tubes you can buy separately off ebay. On those 4 lights I mentioned you can actually run 3 18650's at once! That would come out to a very long light though! The 4 lights I mentioned I have all 4 set up with extension tubes running 2x18650's and I love it! Run times are nearly doubled on all of them. All the Eagletacs have killer strobes. The G25C2 MkII throws the furthest, the T25C2 XP-L is the brightest and the TX25C2 is an incredibly bright pocket thrower. I only recommend getting the full kit version of the G25C2 MkII as the kit comes with an awesome aluminum flip top diffuser/color filter adapter. I have my G25C2 MkII set up with the yellow filter in the adapter which has been great for overcast conditions. Aside from that I recommend that the other lights be bought as base options and to just purchase extension tubes off ebay or even goinggear here in the US.

The G25C2 MkII has a tail switch accessible strobe so thats a big advantage there. Im not to sure about the P25LC2 though I havnt seen that one in action. But CW is the way to go on any of them.

osef

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure that you'll find something that checks all of your boxes, but the Nitecore SRT7 and the Zebralight SC600 MKII L2 fulfill different parts of your requirements. The Zebralight is significantly smaller, but uses a side switch for UI, whereas the Nitecore has a tail clicky for on/off, plus a nice rotary selector ring. I like and use both. I can't comment on the Eagletacs you've mentioned.

Daba

Newly Enlightened
Thank you guys for replies. Reading further through CPF looks like i really don't need selector ring. Looks like i confused that ring equals twisty head.:p I am closer to pull trigger for that TX25C2. Two flashlights are not an option, i need all in one solution, or at least, almost all.:grin2: SC600 is really nice size and looks like that UI is simple and straight forward but if i understand those reviews correctly it is quite short in range and brightness if we compare it with TX25C2 and G25C2 Mark II.
Search continues...