First look at the AAA 3W Flashlight (NOT MXDL)

wmpwi

Enlightened
This is my first quick and dirty review. I just received the 3 Watt Luxeon Torch that was posted on CPF under "AAA 3W Flashlight (NOT MXDL)" from Emilion. The price was right at $22.50 for my budget and plan and it was shipped and received within reasonable limits. The first noteworthy thing is the dark green color. I hadn't thought about color, but the green is kind of cool and the finish is excellent from what I can tell.
2.jpg

The light has a nice heft to it and is machined well from my limited experience. The business end has a plastic lens w/ a 31 mm dia. It has a clickie on the end, but it seems kind of weak and the rubber cover seems too thin. The are rubber o-ring seals at both ends, but they're pretty thin.
parts.jpg

star.jpg

Notice the two small screws holding the heatsink in place.
rear.jpg

pcb.jpg

The pictures will tell more than I can describe, but the best part is that it comes apart easy. No boiling necessary. As to the Lexeon, I have no idea what to expect. Maybe its normal, but it doesn't look as clean as most I've seen, but maybe that's due to the soldering past or scum on the emitter lens. Buffing it off with a rag seemed to help though. I have no fresh batteries or I'd post a beam shot, but from what I can tell now, it was pretty sad, bordering on insipid.

Since I purchased it as a vehicle for modification, it seems to have been well worth the cost. As most of you know more than I, it will be an easy swap for a new emitter, or some type of driver. I will be looking to drop in one of the VWOS Lux Vs I bough from eTendue a couple of weeks ago. All in all, I've very pleased. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif I just come up w/ a different power configuration and driver, as least to start. I'm open to suggestions, but I'm sort of married to the VWOS Lux V part. Thanks for looking.

rick88

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the pics! Is it dimmer than other 3W lights? At least the lux swap should be easy! O, and Emilion's latests threads says you can use a 18670 + magnet - longer run time for that Lux V.

wmpwi

Enlightened
The picture shows the battery holder which holds 3 AAA's which I don't have at the moment (at lease not fresh, but it's well below my Q3.

rick88

Newly Enlightened
Please update after you've charged your batteries. The Lux V will need even more juice (maybe cooling, too), so thought I'd just point out about the Li-ion alternative. Nimh AAA's go up to 900 to 1000 mah? So far, the 18670 are rated up to 2400 mah or so and should get even higher in the future.

wmpwi

Enlightened
Re: First look at the AAA 3W Flashlight (NOT MXDL) Beam shots added

New batteries and new beam shots. Q3 left and Lexeon Torch right. The first thing I noticed is when they're both on, the Q3 is almost yellow in color compared to the Torch. The hot spot is smaller, but considerably brighter, and of course the spill is bigger. Quite useful for my purposes, but I am annoyed by the reflector artifacts and the irregular intensity in the spill, neither of which show in this pic.

beams.jpg

beams2.jpg

rick88

Newly Enlightened
Re: First look at the AAA 3W Flashlight (NOT MXDL) Beam shots added

Nice beam shots! Does the "torch" throw better? Can you adjust the focus?

wmpwi

Enlightened
rick88, yes and no. The throw is better because the hot spot is stronger and no, it has no focus adjustment. I'm new to the whole beam shot thing so I'm trying do it make it meaningful. The shots you see do not quite capture how much brighter the "Torch" is than the Q3. There were some beam shots in Emilion's original post.

Former Mag User, it says Luxeon on the box and in small soldered lettering on the star, but the reverse of the star is blank. I suspect that means ernsanada is correct.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out emilion's original thread on the 3AAA. The thread shows pictures of beamshots. Also the description of the light. 3AAA Thread The description says "3W Clone Direct Drive".

rick88

Newly Enlightened
Is the reflector smooth - maybe that's what giving the tight focus & artifacts. The Q3 has a textured reflector to smooth things out a bit. Looks like a nice bright light for the price + good host for modding.

wmpwi

Enlightened
The reflector is smooth and the lens is a bit wavy as well. I'd like to do something with the lens, reflector, and the tail switch cuz the rubber cover feels kind of thin and mushy. It could rival the q3 for low cost mod vehicle. It much brighter than I thought and for the price it will be a great vehicle for modding. Excellent finish too.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a clone more than likely. Look a the star. The luxeon1's look like that, but not the LuxIII's....

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review!

Is that a 27mm Reflector??
I also want to know a little about the Switch,is it moddable to momentary?
Can someone please give me a guide how to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Benny

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll find the same reverse clickie switch, 27mm reflector, heatsink, and Lux3 clone, on another SmartFire branded light also. I bought a similar cost "Supreme Luxeon 3Watt" on ebay in February from a different CPF dealer and the box it came in called it a SmartFire brand light. The only difference between this light and the Supreme is cosmetic and the Supreme is focusable. Great value for sure. As expected, they are brighter with Ni-MH batteries.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks,

I was hoping to find a way to modify the switch to momentary,
It would make a great host for MR.Bulks circuit.

Benny