First post in this section

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't sound like a good idea to me....

I thought that may be the answer. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me either. It's a pretty pimped out light with the DLC coating and an upgraded neutral emitter with bumped levels. Trits would have finished it off perfectly.... , should have started with the trit slots!

I'll look around and see what I want to change. Need to wait for a few lights to come back, have 2 PDs out (Georgia), couple of lights at Matt's (Texas) and Dan (Minnesota) has a few items as well. We'll see where the bank acct is after all that.

nbp

Flashaholic
Hi Barry,

Forgive me for going off topic, but I know you are busy maintaining your own forum now and have been in the McG forum less lately, so I thought I might try over here. If you get a spare minute, would it be possible to get a pic of this setup you described over there awhile back? I'd like to see how you have it rigged as I'd like to do something similar. Thanks man, no hurries. :)

In addition to the Sapphire, the ring is Ti, and on it are one of Don's large Ti Maxi Clips, a Mac's Custom Ti vial (with a Franklin inside for emergency use) and an Atwood Keyton. I love everything about titanium ... except machining it :(

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Hi Barry,

Forgive me for going off topic ...
As I seem to be the king of OT you are forgiven :nana:

... If you get a spare minute, would it be possible to get a pic of this setup you described over there awhile back? I'd like to see how you have it rigged as I'd like to do something similar.

Image-9853934-152448729-2-Web_0_d5e50bd85f19f73cc67865af4261408f_1

People rarely look closely at what's in their pocket. The scratches & rub marks on the McG Sapphire & Mac's Ti vial are almost a shock. The McG Maxi Clip & titanium ring are available & Berkeley Point, Keytons show up on eBay, not sure if Mac still makes the vial.

nbp

Flashaholic
precisionworks said:
As I seem to be the king of OT you are forgiven :nana:

People rarely look closely at what's in their pocket. The scratches & rub marks on the McG Sapphire & Mac's Ti vial are almost a shock. The McG Maxi Clip & titanium ring are available & Berkeley Point, Keytons show up on eBay, not sure if Mac still makes the vial.

Beautiful, thanks buddy. :)

I'd like to do something similar with some things I have and want to get. I want to get a Ti ring to put my Mako and Keyton (steel version unfortunately, lol. Have to change that to Ti) on, and maybe some kind of Ti trit fob, so I can just shove the whole thing in my pocket in the morning with my McGs and knife etc. I have an idea for a reasonably priced Ti framelock as well to help round out the Ti EDC items. It takes a long time to assemble the perfect EDC kit!!

Thanks for indulging me for a bit here. ;)

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Try this if you're not aware already. I got hooked a month ago...
That's OK if you have to go light & minimal. OTOH here's what I EDC five or six days each week:

Image-9853934-152518635-2-Web_0_98808d80fb27469fd9dfe5ec4cea3a01_1

Not shown is the 4'(1.2m) wide Knaack tool chest in the truck. It holds things too large for the Carhartt bibs
smile.gif
Every item in the image is a working tool. The Walter Brend CKT (upper right) and the two Atwood tools (lower right) are gifts from my son & he said "use these, don't put them in a display case".

Surprisingly there's still room in a back pocket for my Fluke T + Pro meter.

Last edited:

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's OK if you have to go light & minimal. OTOH here's what I EDC five or six days each week:

Image-9853934-152518635-2-Web_0_98808d80fb27469fd9dfe5ec4cea3a01_1

Not shown is the 4'(1.2m) wide Knaack tool chest in the truck. It holds things too large for the Carhartt bibs :) Every item in the image is a working tool. The Walter Brend CKT (upper right) and the two Atwood tools (lower right) are gifts from my son & he said "use these, don't put them in a display case".

Surprisingly there's still room in a back pocket for my Fluke T + Pro meter.

:eek:

I've got my phone (A Galaxy Nexus...so rather large), my wallet and my car keys, house keys, gym card, bottle opener and a 4Sevens Quark Mini CR2 on a True Utility Key Shackle. Light and easy, I want to add a Leatherman Squirt ES4 to that bundle but any more and it's too much to carry for a desk jockey like me :-(

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Is that Aeon anodized or DLC'ed?
Good eye to ID the Aeon. It is HAIII, one of the first ones sold.

any more and it's too much to carry for a desk jockey like me :-(
LOL

I wear Carhartt bibs every day as they have more pockets than any other clothing & wear like iron. For the work I do function is everything ... and they're really comfortable. Not sure that you have those in Brisbane so here's a link.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Exactly how I dressed for work for decades. Ironic that $75 USD seems like a lot for bibs when $1000 for a suit seemed like nothing. The bibs last a lot longer :devil:

I wonder if my boss will notice if I start wearing bibs to work? I can never have too many pens and note pads on me...

fyrstormer

Banned
Good eye to ID the Aeon. It is HAIII, one of the first ones sold.
I carry the Ti version with me every day. I even posted a "one year later" thread a while back, comparing the Ti Aeon I'd carried for a year to the Ti Aeon I'd just bought as a spare. Great little light.

How does the HA3 version hold up to scraping against your other tools? I've only ever seen one light with truly indestructible anodizing, and that was the Arc AAA-P.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
... How does the HA3 version hold up to scraping against your other tools? I've only ever seen one light with truly indestructible anodizing, and that was the Arc AAA-P.

My HA3 Aeon is a "pocket queen" since she stays by herself in the watch pocket of the Carhartt bibs. Only one ding, caused by a four foot (1.2m) drop onto concrete while looking under a semi truck. Disregard that ding and the light is mint but she's been treated pretty well.

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Hello PrecisionWorks,

Have you thought having a Ti switches production?
Not necessarely slotted..

I'm interested in bringing out anything that people want, titanium especially. The challenge right now (on the Rotor E-body project) is finding a shop that will run small quantities. I could retire if I had $10 USD for every phone call & email that's been made for that.

nbp

Flashaholic
Barry, I have a couple of the 32 mm Ti McG rings on the way from the Shoppe along with some more mini McG gate clips. Unfortunately they were out of the Ti gate clips. :banghead: May not need it on the ring anyways, we'll see. Anyways, I read that these Ti rings are more easily deformed than steel. How did you get it over the thick edge of the Keyton without over flexing it? I'd like to put a Ti Pest on it with a Ti Mako, but I'm concerned about deforming the ring. Any suggestions? Thanks bro. :)

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Barry, I have a couple of the 32 mm Ti McG rings on the way from the Shoppe along with some more mini McG gate clips. Unfortunately they were out of the Ti gate clips. :banghead: May not need it on the ring anyways, we'll see. Anyways, I read that these Ti rings are more easily deformed than steel.
Your question makes me feel a lot better ... there are other OCD's on the forum :nana:

Yield Strength (aka Elastic Limit) is the amount of stress that causes permanent deformation in a material. Young's Modulus (aka Modulus of Elasticity or Tensile Modulus) is used to predict the elongation or compression of an object as long as the stress is less than the yield strength of the material. Let's look at the numbers ...

Ti-6Al-4V
Tensile Yield 128 ksi (880 MPa)
Modulus of Elasticity 16,500 ksi (114 GPa)

For comparison let's use a well known fatigue resistant steel - 4140HTSRA (heat treated, stress relieved, annealed):
Tensile Yield 140 ksi (965 MPa)
Modulus of Elasticity 29,700 ksi (205 GPa)

As the numbers show, 4140 has a Tensile Yield 9% higher than Ti-6-4 and Modulus is almost twice as much. But in the real world (at least the world of key rings) it would appear to be a non issue:

Image-9853934-153005607-2-Web_0_e3c86d459b5989ecd7796933c0356ade_1

Image-9853934-153005615-2-Web_0_7d55f76c760f9697bea14603d97c0b58_1

How did you get it over the thick edge of the Keyton without over flexing it? I'd like to put a Ti Pest on it with a Ti Mako, but I'm concerned about deforming the ring. Any suggestions?
I never gave it much thought, just pried open the split end as little as possible and held each item so it spread the split a minimal amount.