Fisher Space Pen

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Last week I was in a situation where I was sitting in my car in a parking lot, on my phone, when I suddenly needed to write something down that was important for work. I scrambled thru my center console looking for some paper and something that would write. I found a cheap no-name pen that thankfully worked, but it made me realize how important it was to have something in the car that would write every time, in heat or cold, in any position including upside down.

When I got home I remembered that someone had gifted me a Fisher Space Pen more than 30 years ago. I found it, still sitting in it's original packaging, and to my surprise it worked right away after sitting motionless for decades. No need to prime the ballpoint by scribbling dry lines on paper for awhile. I was impressed.

So I bought some refill cartridges which are still readily available for this model, and I'm going to keep it in the car along with one of those waterproof notepads.

What's your go-to writing utensil?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Honestly, I have several. Though do own an original Fisher Space-pen.
Thankfully the Space-pen ballpoint refills (with the white adapter) will fit most pens out there. Since most pens use a Parker-style ballpoint pen refill. Though other brands call it a Universal-style refill.

For the last several weeks though, a Zippo Ballpoint model that I received for free. Surprising good pen. Looks very classy.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Thankfully the Space-pen ballpoint refills (with the white adapter) will fit most pens out there. Since most pens use a Parker-style ballpoint pen refill. Though other brands call it a Universal-style refill.
Thanks Monocrom. This gives me an idea. I bought a couple of nice weighted pens that feel good in the hand. I'm going to see if they'll take the Fisher/Parker-style refills.

iacchus

Enlightened
I quite like the Parker G2 sized Monteverde gel refills. I always have a pen on me, usually some sorta Ti or Brass job.
I carried a Pilot Vanishing Point for years, but those don't play well with carbon paper, and that's a random but constant annoyance at work so I finally made the switch and the VP stays at my desk now.

The Monteverde refills provide bold strong lines and are smooth. It's not quite a fountain pen smooth, but it'll do.

I want to like the Fisher refills, but they always end up pissing me off before I finish them.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I want to like the Fisher refills, but they always end up pissing me off before I finish them.
Wow! How quickly are you running through them?
And I thought I did a lot of writing at my 3rd Shift job.

iacchus

Enlightened
Wow! How quickly are you running through them?
And I thought I did a lot of writing at my 3rd Shift job.
I never finish them. I end up switching to something else first. I've never had one that didn't smear all over the place in short order. The refills, being pressurized, always get a buildup on the tip and then it gets a bit messy at the beginning of a word before it smooths back out. I hates it.

Other than that, they are reliable and faultless performers. Just not for me.

I do write a lot though. I blow through a Parker refill about once every two weeks. Paperwork is the bane of my existence.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Try using a Fine-point Fisher space-pen refill.
The problem you described is extremely common, but only with the more common Medium-point refills from Fisher.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Honestly, that is genuinely surprising to hear that you're having that issue with the Fine-point version. Are you buying your refills from the same supplier?

iacchus

Enlightened
Wow, that's a lot of writing.

Like 75% of it is the date and my initials, to boot.
Honestly I often wonder if I shouldn't just have a stamp made.

Honestly, that is genuinely surprising to hear that you're having that issue with the Fine-point version. Are you buying your refills from the same supplier?
Staples, Office Depot, and Amazon.
I wonder if unreasonably high swamp humidity has anything to do with it...

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Guessing that's a very strong possibility on that level of high humidity.

Also, I know exactly what you mean regarding writing reports. I know no one reads them. Even the few times something odd does occur and gets written down in red ink. Seriously, I know the client's representative isn't reading them. They just look to see that each night, each security guard turns in the proper set and number of paper-work sheets. I've considered writing a set of reports with the Date and Day of The Week missing, using the fax machine to make numerous copies, and then each night taking a set of reports; filling in the Date and Day of The Week as needed. Doubt they'll notice a difference.

3_gun

Enlightened
I have a few Fisher pens or others with a Fisher replacement. The one in my pocket today was a vintage [late 70s] with a refill pr1 med blue that cost $1.50. It's the one I use for legal papers, as blue will show up as black in most copies even today, so it's easier to tell originals from copies. My favorite is an older pen that was priced $5.99, still on it's card from the early 70's & still has the first cartridge writing strong. Some of the Fishers pens sell/sold for crazy $$$$ as in $1k & more because that were made from old space craft parts.

GadgetGeek

Newly Enlightened
It's a good EDC pen, but nothing tactical about it.
I agree. They should make it entirely out of metal. It's been my work pen for a few years now. My favorite feature is the lanyard loop because I can clip it to my work badge which is around my neck.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fun Fact: The cheap Bic Crystal ballpoint pens you can buy today (usually in packs of 10) are the very same design that Bic introduced back in 1955.
I'm not so sure. I recall Bics in the 60s had all metal cone tips, which were then changed to brass-colored plastic except at the very tip.

And I use a lot of Fishers because I like to do crossword puzzles, on a clipboard, in bed. Only the Fishers write upside down or sideways, although I think Schmidt now has a pressurized refill. Schmidt Easyflows are my favorite when not upside down.

I EDC a Zebra F301Compact (the one with a physical cap that you put on the back) that I modded for Fisher (drill out the tip hole). I like it better that the Fisher compact offerings like the Bullet.

Toulouse42

Enlightened
Mitsubishi uni Power Tank 1.0. The pen carries a reference SN-220. They claim to work like a Fisher Space Pen and write in any situations. No build up on the tip. I bought a box of these off Amazon ages ago for not much money. I like these a lot and give them away to friends and family.

I have a Fisher but don't use it much as its too small for me.

I have used Parker Pens a lot but if you don't use it every day, it gums up.

I have a Cross - too fat for my hands or pockets.

I have a Waterman - just right but doesn't work in all conditions. It was a gift so doesn't leave the house.