76B23F1F-1CF8-477D-AECD-D8386950D59A.jpeg

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is my lastest one.
IMG_5636.jpg
IMG_5639.jpg
IMG_5640.jpg
IMG_5638.jpg

Its a vintage handmade hunting knife (Jagdnicker in German) made by Hubertus. Probably 70s or 80s (judging by the "W. Germany" on the blade). Traditional rat tail tang construction with a stag handle & silver plated fittings.
I got it for a very good price just a few days ago. Just a collectors piece for me, though I might occasionally carry it to a restaurant to use as a eating knife. Most restaurants wont provide sharp knives unless asked, so it might come in handy. Fits very well into the pen pocked of most suit jackets.

fulee9999

Enlightened
Mora is a very underrated knife
why do you think that..? If I remember correctly (almost) every bushcrafter will suggest you start with a Mora as your first bushcrafter knife, and upgrade to a Fallkniven F1 if you are still interested in the hobby.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cant be bothered to sharpen convex grinds so I stay away from them. From what I gather online most people cant do it either. To do it right you either need good technique with a whetstone & lots of grit or a belt grinder. Most just end up putting a secondary bevel on their Fallkniven or Bark River which doesn't cut well at all. Of cause most of those knives never actually get used but Just something to consider.

fulee9999

Enlightened
most people I've seen either use some cheapo ceramic roller type deal that removes a good amount of the blade while sharpening, or almost immediately reprofile the knife to a 15° flat grind, I can't even recall average knife users even attempting a convex or hollow grind

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Spyderco Moran is an excellent upgrade from the Moras (not that there's anything wrong with the cheap Moras) - better steel, much better sheath, full flat grind that slices better but still very lightweight.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
No offence but Ive always found Spyderco fixed blades to be comically overpriced. Almost $200 for 4 inches of vg10 & a injection molded plastic handle is quite steep you must concur. I suppose its all subjective in the end.

I personally have heard very good things about JARS knives for hunting & bushcraft, tho sadly I dont think they are available in the states.

Reactions: xxo

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
No offence but Ive always found Spyderco fixed blades to be comically overpriced. Almost $200 for 4 inches of vg10 & a injection molded plastic handle is quite steep you must concur. I suppose its all subjective in the end.

I personally have heard very good things about JARS knives for hunting & bushcraft, tho sadly I dont think they are available in the states.
None taken.

Amazon has the F1 starting at $141 and the Moran at $115, both are VG10 with molded handles. I think that they both were (are?) made in the same factory in Japan and are of comparable build quality. The Moran has a thinner flat ground blade that cuts better and a much better sheath. The F1 has thicker laminated blade and a little nub that sticks out on the back of the handle. I own both knives and the Moran is the one I would recommend for most uses.

In fact, I would say that the Falknivens are overrated or at least over priced for what you get – the handles are too small and the sheaths suck for the price point. You could say that the thicker blades on the Fallknivens are better for "survival" or "bush craft" but as shown in Survival Lilly's vid, they will still chip out if you beat on them:

you would jack up just about any knife doing those kind of things, but many bush crafters expect their survival knife to take it. If you want to do these things, get a cheap machete and have at it…..eventually you will still destroy it if you try hard enough but at least it won't cost much to get another one.

Last edited:

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember hearing about the complaints with Fallkniven sheaths before, but Ive never owned one so I cant comment on it. Camp & hunting knives need to do things like whittling, some light chopping & the edge needs to stand up to hitting bone and the occasional pebble or knot, so it shouldn't be too fragile, anything much over .5mm is usually overkill tho. They often make the stock on modern "survival" knives too thick, 3-3,5mm is perfectly fine, 4mm for larger knives. But im not an outdoorsman or hunter so my experience is limited.

I think a lot of this might have to do with companies protecting against warranty claims & returns because of damaged edges or tips. Lionsteel has gathered some infamy for that, dunno if its gotten any better. What I can say is that my thrill has 3mm stock & is .5 behind the bevel. Way too thick for a slipjoint, or any folder really (unless it says "cold steel" on it :grin2:), but its become the industry standard.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Heavily used in the past (garden knife, hay bale knife), with probably the least used fixed blade:

View attachment 34070
Not when the Zombie Apocalypse comes!
Is that one of them over.... Oh, false alarm. Just a Stoner.
Honest mistake. Our "brilliant" former governor made the wacky tobakee legal in my neck of the woods. Glad I have two different Kukri knives in my collection. Just in case....

rgcurrey

Newly Enlightened
I have gone through more fixed blades than I can remember. Buying and selling them, searching for that one that would be just right . . . I might still be searching but I have found a few keepers over the years.

This Behring Made ProLT rides on my Umlindi pack belt (it was my get home bag but has since been replaced). I joke about it calling it my apocalypse knife as you can sharpen it with anything and the 550 wrap is hardened with epoxy.

IMG_0054.JPG

This Winkler Woodsman was to be the knife, but alas, the blade is to short for what I wanted. Sadly, it was either stolen out of my bag at a meet or I have lost it in my house somewhere (and I have looked). If I find it I will send it on to another home and use the $ for something else.

IMG_0650.jpg

I replaced it with a Winkler Field Knife and may never let this one go. Such a great size and feel. The Winkler Utility Crusher with it I gifted to my Nephew after completing Marine Recon training and the four schools after it. Unfortunately I really liked that knife so I went ahead and ordered one for me . . . hopefully it will be here soon.

IMG_1603.jpg