Fixing Prometheus Alpha LED centering

Dr.Tautology

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know how I can go about fixing the centering on this light?(photo attached) I'm not sure if I will need to reflow the LED or just adjust the placement of the reflector. If it needs to be reflowed I'm going use it as an opportunity to swap to a different emitter. Moreover I'm not sure how to remove the pill to get at the board. If anyone has experience modding these lights I'd appreciate some insight.

Attachments

• PXL_20220919_153306101~2.jpg
    PXL_20220919_153306101~2.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 116

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ouch, not my fav subject. That reflector is designed for massive emitters and pure flooder. Opening at the bottom is not standard and requires special gasket.

LEDphile

Enlightened
Are you actually seeing any asymmetry in the beam, or is the desire for a more highly centered emitter purely cosmetic?

Machine placement and reflow generally results in parts reasonably well centered on the pads (and that's what I see in the picture); hand placement and reflow is generally next best, followed by hot air rework.

Mechanical alignment of the LED PCB to the optic is typically reliant on locating features on the optic, and if the optic lacks those features, it's typically relatively insensitive (+/- a mm or 2) to placement as it's relying on other mechanical parts to hold alignment, with the associated tolerance stackup.