Streamlight SL-20x LED conversion

RANGER295

Newly Enlightened
My department has a bunch of SL-20x LED flashlights that leave a lot to be desired. These are the ones with an incan center bulb surrounded by three old-school LED's. We were looking for a conversion to get rid of that incan even if it means loosing the three weak LED's. I cannot find anything for this light. The one kit that seems was made for the SL-20x has been discontinued. Even at that I do not think it was for the LED model. Any thoughts? Thank you

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting hybrid light, I initially though Lumens Factory or Terralux, seems that particular model is not catered for in the non-OEM aftermarket (lens being the exception), I've never seen one in person so couldn't hazard a guess as to it's modding potential.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is an LED conversion that used to be offered.

One of the challenges is that LED conversions only work in the aluminum body lights and they tried to do it in the plastic version.

I fell in love with that light as well (own a few ) , and had made progress on a drop in LED module offering.

The challenge with the LEDs and optics available at that time was that I could get very good color rending, more light (lumens ) but it was quite difficult to match the hot spot "throw" of that incan bulb / reflector combination.

From a price point perspective, it is actually difficult to build up an LED drop in module - made from very good quality parts - that is much less than buying new lights.

If I remember correctly, the LED that I was using had some specific characteristics that are not produced anymore either.

Unless you have 100s of them, it is probably cheaper to start over even if the drop in is available.

_______

Just saw that @M@elstrom gave similar advice. ....

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LED ring of the 20X LED is grafted onto the chassis of a standard SL-20X. In theory you could just take the LED assembly out of the head, toss it, and use an upgrade module designed for a standard 20X, if one were available. The 20X LED primary bulb is basically just a 20X bulb with holes drilled in it for the LEDs. I guess the upgrades have been discontinued--I'm surprised; the 20X would make a super host.

Keep in mind you'd be using non-standard equipment and losing Streamlight's original warranty if that mattered to the PD bean counters. A new SL-20L is about $120 if you need something that uses existed Streamlight SL charging infrastructure.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the new LED SL20. I figure large lights are soon to be a thing of the past but I feel as if I get something for my money. Like a Mag 6D seems like more value than a small 1K+ HDS light.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, actual production lights. A few companies thought making an 8D model would be a good idea in the '60s and '70s but they sold even worse than the 7Ds that were already slow sellers.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would buy an 8D. I just got a 6C Incan, 6D Incan, and 6D LED from Maglite.

Of course if they made some insanely long lights that were 12 D or bigger and had a base and it was a floor lamp I'd happily use it too.

Of course for indoor use only as when I had to carry a 5D with alkalines on a black friday it was heavy and people implied it was a weapon. It was just the only thing with long runtime.