Flashaholic Getogether in Singapore! PART-III (3)

chanjyj

Enlightened
hey Zeruel,

dun mind it, i am looking forward to that day as well. luckily, the weather played its part. looks like you're mesmerised by all the shiney Ti lights that evening... :D

i din know you took so many pics that evening... :duh2:

hi gtwace,

maybe you can share more info on the path you mentioned? like which road its from, etc?... SIM seems to be rather near Bukit Timah Nature reserve. :D pity the bike trail to Hindhede Quarry isn't a walk in the park. the path has more slopes & turns than the MacRitchie trail... :green:

King2penn,

yeah, there are others who could not turn up on saturday. anyway, i hope others will step forward to organise an outing. i am starting to run low on where to go.... :ohgeez:

I'll try organize one together w/ you next time if we have time. Hold it somewhere different. I was thinking along Changi Coast Walk (but we need a vehicle).

Do some research and figure out. Maybe no hike etc so those who have to work the next day (usually Andy and me) can have more rest. Just lim kopi and check out the new offerings.

This trip was "eventful". So eventful I think my wallet is going to hit a new low again :shakehead:

Zeruel's Quark CR2 was tempting. But I'm still debating if CR2 or CR123 is better since I have one stack of unused RCR123s. Another tempter was the aspheric.. what a toy.

For practical purposes, that Ti light that appeared to be piston drive.. anyone can enlighten me on the name? I forgot to ask! :crazy:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i guess you'lll be saying it after next outing again? :whistle:

i will post some pictures either evening or the following days. i have yet to install software for my cam to transfer them. :green:

i hope all those who turned up had fun last night. yesterday was a good day for an outing, weather was nice & cool, moonless. :twothumbs

lol, what to do?

(a) quite last minute
(b) loads of work + family commitments
(c) world cup 2010

albert

Enlightened
Waa... got elite among the group! I tot what the hell is a Tri-V... until i google for it *must use both hands to close my wide-open mouth*...

SG flashaholic group is very different from my time. LOL. Went for in-law's dinner instead, dont know is lucky or unlucky... even i go also play with flood light and tiny AAA lights.

Managed to meet up with bro CEJ and pick up a new AAA light from him for half a blue note, bright little bugger, best for EDC in coin purse or on keychain. Fyi, shape and size is exactly the same as BatteryJunction's Titanium Innovations IlluminaTi. Comes with 3 colors; blue, purple and black. The twisting is very smooth, better than Fenix and hell better than IlluminaTi.

Last edited:

chanjyj

Enlightened
Waa... got elite among the group! I tot what the hell is a Tri-V... until i google for it *must use both hands to close my wide-open mouth*...

SG flashaholic group is very different from my time. LOL. Went for in-law's dinner instead, dont know is lucky or unlucky... even i go also play with flood light and tiny AAA lights.

Managed to meet up with bro CEJ and pick up a new AAA light from him for half a blue note, bright little bugger, best for EDC in coin purse or on keychain. Fyi, shape and size is exactly the same as BatteryJunction's Titanium Innovations IlluminaTi. Comes with 3 colors; blue, purple and black. The twisting is very smooth, better than Fenix and hell better than IlluminaTi.

I have a light called the CEJ i-Lite, picked up for $28 roughly. Also AAA. Could it be the one you're talking about?

Twisting is smooth, but I find that if you press down on the head you can activate the light, and I have to unscrew it till the point where it takes 2 full turns to get it on (assuming I don't want it to activate by accident when stashed somewhere) :shakehead:

Finish is not HAIII from what I see. Feels abit cheap. But the clip, I like. Reversible and can clip it backwards onto a baseball cap to act as headlamp.

albert

Enlightened
I have a light called the CEJ i-Lite, picked up for $28 roughly. Also AAA. Could it be the one you're talking about?

Twisting is smooth, but I find that if you press down on the head you can activate the light, and I have to unscrew it till the point where it takes 2 full turns to get it on (assuming I don't want it to activate by accident when stashed somewhere) :shakehead:

Finish is not HAIII from what I see. Feels abit cheap. But the clip, I like. Reversible and can clip it backwards onto a baseball cap to act as headlamp.

yeah, should be same one.

2 full turns to get it on? My unit half of a full turn to achieve same effect, maybe improved new batch?

This light is cheap, even it is not HAIII, i dont mind. Make a great corporate gift if there is space for a logo or coy name.

chanjyj

Enlightened
yeah, should be same one.

2 full turns to get it on? My unit half of a full turn to achieve same effect, maybe improved new batch?

This light is cheap, even it is not HAIII, i dont mind. Make a great corporate gift if there is space for a logo or coy name.

I have to turn it 2 full turns to prevent accidental activation (press down hard on the head when it's 1 turn out still completes the circuit)

Good corporate gift, but where to put the company logo? Too small. I use it as personal gift instead.

Packaging rather weird on my side. Light fits nicely in foam, but the keychain is sticking out. I like the magnetic closure though.

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
Chanjyj,

eh, unless you are driving, its simpler to organise an outing that does not need driving around. the next best option is to catch a cab (depending on the number of people that day)? :shrug: such outings is best to have at least 2 drivers who know the route equally well, just in case 1 car got seperated by traffic light with the 1st car driving till out of sight... :green:

i remembered Changi Coast Walk being brightly lighted up. went there about 2 years back for a night photography outing.

err, btw i think you should walk slower? most trail are abit slopey, the bicycle trail leading to Hindhede Quarry at Bukit Timah Reserve has a vast open space (good for throwers & flooders alike) but the walk there is way more tiring than last saturday's walk. the path is much narrower with more turns, so the group members should not wonder too far off in the trail.

tthe only concern i have is guards atop the quarry guarding the telecoms building above the quarry dispatching police to check on us... :ohgeez:

Hyperloop,

hmmm, even if the outing was posted weeks ahead, not everyone is able the commit themselves (that early) to coming... the weather will dictate if the outing should go as planned. so planning weeks ahead sometimes may not mean more people will show up.

well, most people have families here, unless foreign worker who came alone from overseas. work commitments are unavoidable, so i guess you'll not be coming for future outings as well? :shrug:

World Cup? tough choice... :green:

Last edited:

chanjyj

Enlightened
Chanjyj,

eh, unless you are driving, its simpler to organise an outing that does not need driving around. the next best option is to catch a cab (depending on the number of people that day)? :shrug: such outings is best to have at least 2 drivers who know the route equally well, just in case 1 car got seperated by traffic light with the 1st car driving till out of sight... :green:

Valid point. Problematic though, as the really ulu spots (besides Pulau Ubin, and that is a logistical problem as the last boat is around 8pm) are only accessibly by car.

i remembered Changi Coast Walk being brightly lighted up. went there about 2 years back for a night photography outing.

My bad, not Changi Coast Walk. Changi Coast Road. The exact details are: Changi Coast Road "Lampost 171" - Behind Changi Airport (Via Driving Only) Beautiful place, no crowd, no man's land, huge desert, about 20mins drive from the main road. Accessible only on weekends. Till date, only 4X4 and some LGV can drive right to the end, saloon cars better don't try. (quoted from other source)

err, btw i think you should walk slower? most trail are abit slopey, the bicycle trail leading to Hindhede Quarry at Bukit Timah Reserve has a vast open space (good for throwers & flooders alike) but the walk there is way more tiring than last saturday's walk. the path is much narrower with more turns, so the group members should not wonder too far off in the trail.

tthe only concern i have is guards atop the quarry guarding the telecoms building above the quarry dispatching police to check on us... :ohgeez:

Ok on walking slower. I too used to walking fast liao. Actually the "fast" is my usual walking speed. Now I know why my whole company complain liao :ironic:

Hyperloop,

hmmm, even if the outing was posted weeks ahead, not everyone is able the commit themselves (that early) to coming... the weather will dictate if the outing should go as planned. so planning weeks ahead sometimes may not mean more people will show up.

well, most people have families here, unless foreign worker who came alone from overseas. work commitments are unavoidable, so i guess you'll not be coming for future outings as well? :shrug:

World Cup? tough choice... :green:

LobsterX

Newly Enlightened
Here's my copy of the photos

Group Shot within trail
DSC06791.jpg

My CHEAPO aspheric at work
DSC06807.jpg

DSC06806.jpg

Group shot of all the lights at fest point before heading out
DSC06804.jpg

Before lighting up
DSC06795.jpg

What they were aiming at
DSC06799.jpg

One line of throwers
DSC06794.jpg

Wooo.... Look at the lights!!!
DSC06797.jpg

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
Chanjyj,

i thought you said by vehicle? i din know you were refering to boat...

hmmm, i really am not familiar with Changi area, best not organise an outing there, i would be at a lost (or literally lost) lolz... :faint:

sounds like its a difficult outing to pull off. :sweat: i better not organise such outings, unless you or anyone here can pull it off, i won't mind joining. heh... :whistle:

chanjyj

Enlightened
Chanjyj,

i thought you said by vehicle? i din know you were refering to boat...

hmmm, i really am not familiar with Changi area, best not organise an outing there, i would be at a lost (or literally lost) lolz... :faint:

sounds like its a difficult outing to pull off. :sweat: i better not organise such outings, unless you or anyone here can pull it off, i won't mind joining. heh... :whistle:

Nonono... I think you mixed up my posts le

1. 2 very ulu locations for lights - 1. Pulau Ubin 2. Changi Coast Road Lampost 171 20mins drive in

2. Methods for getting there 1. Boat and only boat 2. 4x4 vehicle

I know they are difficult to pull off, just throwing around some ideas in the meantime. After all, next meeting will not be so soon.

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
hi LobsterX,

your pics of the beams shining at the trees are much clearer than mine. :thumbsup: mine has lots of dust particles... :shakehead

hi Chanjyj,

i din know you were refering to Pulau Ubin... :thinking:

it will be hard to keep to the scheduled timings to catch the boat. even a simple walk at MacRitchie's trail had delay's. its an outing afterall?... :grouphug:

anyway, thanks for the suggestion. :thumbsup:

chanjyj

Enlightened
hi LobsterX,

your pics of the beams shining at the trees are much clearer than mine. :thumbsup: mine has lots of dust particles... :shakehead

hi Chanjyj,

i din know you were refering to Pulau Ubin... :thinking:

it will be hard to keep to the scheduled timings to catch the boat. even a simple walk at MacRitchie's trail had delay's. its an outing afterall?... :grouphug:

anyway, thanks for the suggestion. :thumbsup:

IIRC Andy Ho suggested SIA clubhouse. There might be a bus there, and Changi Village nearby. Have to go check that one. Hope they never lock it down

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
hi Chanjyj,

where is this former SIA clubhouse situated? any road name? :wave:

chanjyj

Enlightened
hi Chanjyj,

where is this former SIA clubhouse situated? any road name? :wave:

Netheravon Road. There is public transport there. But more importantly got to see if it's locked up.

Old Changi Hospital was also accessible to public last time. Now it's under AETO's lock and key. :mad:

LobsterX

Newly Enlightened
SBS 29 from tampines interchange passes by Neverathon road. I used to go there for chalets and buy fishing equipments

we can walk around there before or after eating at Changi Village.

There are other buses at changi village, SBS 2 terminates there too but it circles God knows there before terminating at Changi Village.

Perhaps an overnight cycling trip cum Flashlight testing cum dark places searching outting would be fun. can go catch hanky panky at work....:popcorn:

Netheravon Road. There is public transport there. But more importantly got to see if it's locked up.

Old Changi Hospital was also accessible to public last time. Now it's under AETO's lock and key. :mad:

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
is it the building next to Changi Sailing Club? there is a pic of an "abandoned club" on Google Earth. :grin2:

if the numbers are good (3 to a cab), we could all split the cab fare to that place. save time & energy for the walk. :devil:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes the old SIA clubhouse is just beside the sailing club. Dark enough but don't expect it to be super dark as there is still some level of light pollution from the street lamps nearby. There is an Indian watchman there but I have yet to meet him. My friend brought his students along and was asked to pay to enter.

There isn't really a latest time to go into Pulau Ubin. As long as you got money, and the boatman is not home he would be able to bring you in. I once went in at around 9:45pm. 8pm is only a safety net timing provided by MPA.