Flashlight for 18 & 20 year old female

Status
Not open for further replies.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for that information. One quick question about I might I've never heard of but looks nice. Astrolux S42 2023LM Rechargeable Mini LED Flashlight, any thoughts on this light and the vendor banggood?

Don't bother with the Astrolux S42. Get the upgraded model, the S43, which has a much nicer user interface.

Bazar

Newly Enlightened
the OP asked about vendors so I will answer them. Battery Junction is here in the US where I live, so their availability means that it is a fast shipping for the free shipping and gets here within 1 week. but when available I use the actual brand, like Fenix because buying direct is respectful to the company and can get you good deals down the road.

on to flashlight discussion, the new nitcore TUP is pretty awesome but not waterproof. the Acebeam uc15 is another option with 1000 lumens.
a small light has its limits. including in simple user interface since the tiny size makes it a struggle to fit in the hand. a single 18650 light is what I would recommend, preferably USB rechargeable with a replaceable battery, like the Klarus xt11 x or 2017 version. other similar options exist but the different buttons and different outputs make the xt11 particularly easy to use in knowing whether you are about to blind yourself or read a map when you turn it on.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Streamlight usb rechargeable. Check out their e-catalog.

You decide which one sir Rooster. Then check out Bright Guy if you want to buy online. Otherwise stores like Bass Pro and police stores carry them.

Welcome to the site.

Rooster Cogburn

Newly Enlightened
Thank you everyone, you folks have been extremely helpful and have made many good points and great suggestions. I appreciate all the help y'all have given me. Now to do some research and ultimately make a choice. I have 2 months until their birthdays so I may wait for some sales. This seems like a great forum and there is plenty here to read.

matt4350

Enlightened
If I were buying, I'd go the Olight M1T Raider as well. Vadimax knows his stuff! :) Load them up with a CR123 and you've got a comparatively bright light with a broader beam that's good for situational awareness, and a great low mode for the normal things, like finding keys, locks and whatnot. Not too big, not too small.

Rechargeable lights are great for constant users who keep track of where the battery is at, but most 'normal' people likely won't think to throw it on the charger regularly. The M1T could hardly be simpler and they get a good rap around here, it seems. I've always got one in my pack.

Berneck1

Enlightened
I agree, forget self-defense or "disorienting" a person with strobe.

However, I still don't feel anyone is asking the important questions.

How will they mostly use the light and how likely are they to maintain it?

Are they going to charge and maintain 18650's? Are they going to want to pay $10 for a CR123 in the store? Sure, you could buy some in bulk, but if they need a replacement quickly that can be expensive, and forget finding an 18650. As some have mentioned bulk in a purse, even an 18650 light may be a little too bulky.

If it's in a purse you don't want a light with an electronic switch that can be activated easily. Forget lock-out modes. That will just be annoying and easy to forget. A twisty light or a clicky light with a well protected switch is a better option.

Also, forget rechargeable-only lights. You want something where the battery can be easily replaced. If it runs out they're less likely to take the time to recharge and put back in their purse. And common batteries are the way to go. I say this from experience.

My wife and daughter don't care about different modes, especially strobe, special batteries that need special charging, etc. They want a light that turns on and off when they need it, and a quick battery replacement.

I suggest the Olight EOS i3E as a start. Easily replaceable AAA battery. One mode, about 100 lumens. Comes in colors. Don't get the i3S unless they are they type of girls that are ok with different modes.

I don't say any of this to offend. It's from my personal experience. I have given probably 50+ i3s lights as gifts to men and women who are friends, family and co-workers. Virtually all of the women found the modes to be confusing and usually just used medium mode when they turn it on and off. So, I started giving the i3E as gifts and they are much more well received. I should add that a couple of guys didn't want to be bothered with modes either, but FAR less so than women.

Another option could be the EagTac D25a MKII. It's super bright on a single AA, about 350 lumens. It also has the modes, but they don't "get in the way" unless they want to use them. The clicky switch is well protected and difficult to accidentally activate. It also takes 14500's to be over 700 lumens if the girls were willing to delve into the world of Li-Ion batteries. But simple Eneloops may be a better entry point.

I think being flashaholics we lose sight of what the "average person" needs or will actually use vs what we as flashlight people want and will use.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Interesting thread here.

lovecpf

I'd just like to add:

Fenix E12 (1xAA) is a fine choice.

:thumbsup:
_

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interesting thread here.

lovecpf

I'd just like to add:

Fenix E12 (1xAA) is a fine choice.

:thumbsup:
_

Both my Mother And Sister can not comprehend the E12 operation no matter how hard they try,a simple single mode is the only real option for some.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Re: Flashlight for 18 & 20 year old female

Everybody knows how to work a minimag. And they're pretty bright these days.

Just outfit it with leak proof ultimate lithiums for worry free storage. No electronic switches, very little chance of accidental turn on and fits easily into small places.

Silver can be seen easily in the abyss of a lady's purse too. Available at big box stores like WalMart and Home Depot with lifetime warranty and decades of reliability potential.

Last edited:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast

PK Design Labs, PL-2. This is the only flashlight my wife will consistently carry. It takes available everywhere AAA cells, comes in black, silver and heat treated(think purplish rainbow). It can take Lithium rechargeable 10440 Cells for an amazing output too, or the Energizer Lithium primary with it's 20 year shelf life.
I ilike the Olight S1 Baton, S-Mini and S1r II, but my wife says even they are too "bulky" when she carries a "clutch" purse.

A lot of people have advised against a flashlight as a defensive tool, and often times when there is a convergence of opinion it can be wise to heed.
However, I am reminded of a lesson a friend of mine gave(he was an active duty Navy Seal): first, pay attention to your surroundings and never get yourself in a location that puts you in a compromising situation. Next, if you were unable to follow rule #1, then "use what you have" as a weapon. There is a reason that our ambassadors/Gov't employees "at risk" are encouraged to carry pens made of titanium, brass or stainless steel-put enough
Force behind it and a stab wound can incapacitate or at least slow down an attacker(again, assuming you can't run away and have no other means of self-defense). In this particular instance, a Surefire E2D Ultimate LED Defender could be useful-I think the suggestion of a self defense class with you and your nieces is an excellent idea. The main use of an E2D is to contact the assailants face(ideally the forehead or eyes ) with the strike bezel-the face and head have a strong vascular supply and bleeds profusely, most people respond by grabbing their face which gives you the opportunity to kick the groin or knee/ankle and take off running. I am against using a strobe-I have seen far too many videos and read too many accounts of it doing nothing more than to anger an assailant. Taking the time to discuss personal safety with your nieces, with raising the importance of situational awareness, not only shows them you care, it may present them with the ability to avoid a really bad situation....

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am all for using anything you have if it comes down to it and you are in fear of death or grievous bodily harm. And, if all you have is a flashlight(this is a choice) then I suppose have at it. But, I would also like to point out that one should consider what may be in an assailant's blood(HIV, HEP C, etc.).

Sometimes using a strike bezel that will likely do little to incapacitate an assailant and just make him mad and bleed a little(likely in a non-incapacitating way) is not the best idea imo. There are just so many other more effective tools of last resort...

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Kubatan training may be warranted. It teaches some basic time buying techniques to gain some time to flee using ordinary items.

You can get the idea through youtubes, but don't let a 9 minute how-to video be the only training.

When my kids were little I entered my oldest in a martial arts class. Trouble was at the end of each session they made the kids fight each other. I did not want my kids to become little fighters.

The instructor was a friend of mine from high school. I took him off to the side and said "look bro, my kid leaves here every time with a bloody nose". "He gets picked on at school and the last thing he wants to do is enter a fist fight." So we stopped going.

I ended up teaching my boy "rasslin' moves, karate techniques and other ways to improvise in a last ditch effort to defend his 3 foot circle from a bully. He later taught me several ways to break free using an umbrella or his Walkman. He said "it's called a kubatan dad".

archimedes

Flashaholic

I am sure the long term members here know this, but this thread is drifting off topic into areas beyond the scope of lighting (as is common for these topics)

If the thread is to remain open, it will need to focus on flashlights as illumination devices ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.