Torch for a 6 year old

ltec

Newly Enlightened
I need a torch for a 6 year old. What lumens would be considered safe for him. I'm not worried about shining it in his eyes but more so if he turned it on in bed and left it on, would it get really hot?
I'm guessing like 100 lumens. Too dim a light and he might not use it.
Probably running on aa batteries.
Just something cheap with good runtime.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty much anything you can get from walmart or home depot will fit your needs. can't go wrong with maglite AA pro, pretty bright, but wont get hot, petty durable too, candle mode is pretty cool too, not many brands offer that

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
Let's face it, kids lose lights. My kid was no exception. After losing one nice light, I started giving him the HFT freebies. He loved them and it was no big loss if lost or damaged.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Get him that stranger things light. 2-D cell Not bad for the price and it's just real cool.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Whatever light in your collection that has the most dust on it.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
When my kid was 1- 1.5 y.o. his favorite toy was 4d maglite, he would cry hysterically when we took it away from him, it had no batteries, and the kid did not know what it was, to him it was his favorite toy, now he wont touch it, he confiscated my gekko. and he knows how to use it, he is only 3.

3_gun

Enlightened
Cheap & SEALED. Anything replaceable WILL get eaten. One of the cheap Harbor Freight style 7 or 9 led lights powered by 3 AAAs then use a punch/screwdriver to "lock" the cap to the body or some Red Locktight. Without one or the other those batteries are a snak waiting to happen

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheap & SEALED. Anything replaceable WILL get eaten. One of the cheap Harbor Freight style 7 or 9 led lights powered by 3 AAAs then use a punch/screwdriver to "lock" the cap to the body or some Red Locktight. Without one or the other those batteries are a snak waiting to happen
Seriously? When I was six years old I wasn't attempting to eat batteries. And yes, I knew what batteries were, a few of my toys at the time needed them.