Flashlight Hopes/Wishes for 2021.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I suggest you take a look at the products on https://wi-charge.com . Seems like the technology you're mocking may be starting to hit the market already. I see products that can deliver 2.25 watts of power from 12 feet away.
Remote RF charging has been promised for at least a decade and consistently fails to appear. I am highly skeptical that such technology will be practical in the consumer space, to say nothing of being reasonably efficient. All the prototype units I've seen last time this was in the news used massive arrays of antennas and not a peep about efficiency - suspect it might be as high as single digits.

EDIT: However the technology has indeed progressed as per more recent articles I've found.

Solar roadways aren't working too well because of damage to the panels from heavy vehicles running over them.
Solar roadways aren't working because ground level is about the worst possible place to put solar panels; the fact that they're an expensive poorer-performing substitute for pavement is another strike. They were a dumb idea whose time was never.

Induction charging is a sound technology and more possibilities with it are currently advancing.
Indeed it works well indeed and has been around for decades. I've got an induction charger for my work phone; despite the coils being a mere ~centimeter apart it's only about 65% efficient at 5W per some back-of-the-napkin math; notably less so at 10W. This is fine for something as low-energy as delivering ~10 watt-hours to a phone over the course of an hour or two. But for larger loads that's a lot of added cost and loss of energy just so you can say look ma, no wires.

Ossia was one startup in the area. As of ~2.5 years ago their efficiency was still atrocious.
Zeine was keen to point out that for consumers, the key to providing useful wireless power isn't necessarily to transmit a high degree of power to one or two devices. "The idea is that power has to be continuous, no matter how fast you go," he said. "This system [the Cota Tile] is running 2.4GHz with 20 watts coming out. At about a meter, we're receiving over 6 watts of power, and at two meters we're talking about a few watts, 2 to 3 watts, and then at the end of the room we're talking about 1 watt. So now, suddenly ... every cubic inch of this room has power."
<33% efficient at a meter, <15% at 2 meters, ~5% beyond 2 meters; this is likely the reality of practical beamforming and antenna design in something relatively small. I guess those are going to be chalked up as acceptable losses for the convenience of charging small loads since Americans refuse to use cheaper more efficient more reliable wires. I blame a generation of TV showing consumers deliriously shopping for insurance on a laptop in their living rooms. It will of course need to be relatively cheap and compact - the transmitter can be large-ish but that receiver will need to be quite small to integrate into the kinds of devices their PR is going on about like hearing aids.

Last edited:

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My flashlight hope for 2021 is that once the Special Metals runs at HDS gave been fullfilled, there will be a few more used HDSs on the marketplace.
P

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm hoping Zebralight is financially ok and sticks around for a loooooong time to come. Next I'd like to see a SC700w HI version and an HI version of the SC5w, plus a new SC600 MK V HI.