Flashlight operation: clicks, presses, etc.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
ZL would pass this "noob test", right? From off, short click -> on (okay, in high mode but most people would be fine with that :) ). Another short click -> off.

It's kind-of simple. Certainly click for "on" is intuitive. But I've seen people mess up when clicking for "off". Because the light doesn't shut off until you release the button, some noobs try a second press (thinking the first didn't work), which is actually a double-click, which then changes sub-modes. At this point, they get frustrated, hand me the light and tell me to shut it off. Or, they hold the button down, waiting for it to turn off, which then starts cycling the modes. Again, hand it to me to turn off.

If it shut off right away when you clicked it, I think it would be more intuitive.

markr6

Flashaholic
^^ So there's two minds thinking exactly alike! I've had trouble explaining CTRL+C then CTRL+V to copy and paste in Windows to some here at work. You get one of "them" and try to explain the ZL UI to any extent and you're screwed.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I assume none of you have tried the maglite Xl200? In my opinion, It's the most intuitive and innovative UI in the industry.
Innovative? Arguable. Intuitive? Hardly. Unless you mean the basic act of simply turning it on and off.

dss_777

Enlightened
It's a brain cell issue.

The more brain cells required to work the light, the fewer people there are that will like it/buy it/use it. Light (and other tech) geeks are willing to devote quite a few brain cells to operating the thing, the average person much less so.

What I find ironic is that it took quite a few brain cells to figure out that I like simple lights, that use fewer brain cells. I'm saving those extra brain cells for more important things, like beer. :drunk:

I might not have learned this until I tried pointing out all the cool features of my most favorite light to my wife. I swear she just about patted me on the head and said, "why don't you go outside and play?" ;)

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The more brain cells required to work the light, the fewer people there are that will like it/buy it/use it. Light (and other tech) geeks are willing to devote quite a few brain cells to operating the thing, the average person much less so.

I don't agree with this statement at all, in fact I think the exact opposite is true. The manufacturers are targeting the general public rather than experienced CPFers as this is where most of their sales will come from. For example, if a regular person has the choice between a flashlight with 10 modes/1000lm and 2 modes/600lm, they will go with the first option because it sounds better.
They are also targeting those of us with GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) who feel the need to upgrade their light just because it has an extra mode and is driven slightly harder than the previous version.

Latest posts