Flashlight suggestions for security guard

ashusaroya

Newly Enlightened
Hi I am based in Brisbane, Australia and work as a security guard. I've recently got a new job during the night and the place where I'm working get really dark so I am looking to buy a new flashlight with good throw and brightness. Can anyone help me out please??

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
Re: Flashlight suggestions.

There's a lot of lights that fit that description. Could you please be more specific?

For example: what's your budget, what size light are you looking for, battery preference, indoors or outdoors?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast

welcome to CPF ashusaroya! Understanding that everything is much more expensive in Australia how much are you willing to spend? Also as posted above do you want a small light, medium size light or large light? I will kick it off with a large light either of the new 3rd Gen LED D cell Maglites. Both the 2 D cell and 3 D cell are both out freaking standing. Output is as claimed, they have well above average throw and far above average run time on standard cheap alkaline D cells.

Medium size light-once again I am figuring in how much more expensive everything is over there. Thrunite TN4A 4xAA. There are currently 3 variations one with a cool white beam, one with a neutral white beam and a far throwing cool white variant. Your choice of AA chemistry from alkaline AA to NiMH rechargeable AA and Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA cells will work. I have all 3 variants and cannot say enough good things about them

Small light-Nitecore MH20. This will be the most expensive light of the 3 I have listed. It is also by far the most compact. 5 output levels, for real 1000 lumen max output and takes 2 cell types CR123 lithium primaries(not recommended)and lithium ion 18650's(recommended). For the big high capacity 18650 cell you will also need to buy a quality charger so going the small route in the end will be the most expensive for the 3 lights I have listed. There are many many more I am sure more folks will chime in...

wensynch

Newly Enlightened

Ultra fire C12 XPLv2 is a really quality light for the price. $20 in the US.

Build is excellent. 1000 lum. Real long throw and bright, but it's not small. Roughly the size of 2Cs with a big head.

It's biggest weakness in its real basic UI. Ultrafire seems to always use the most basic UI, typical of cheap lights. Modes aren't great.

oKtosiTe

Enlightened

Ultra fire C12 XPLv2 is a really quality light for the price. $20 in the US.

Build is excellent. 1000 lum. Real long throw and bright, but it's not small. Roughly the size of 2Cs with a big head.

It's biggest weakness in its real basic UI. Ultrafire seems to always use the most basic UI, typical of cheap lights. Modes aren't great.

Ultrafire has a pretty bad reputation around here, from false advertising, recycled batteries sold as new to low-quality and even dangerous lights. Beware.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi I am based in Brisbane, Australia and work as a security guard. I've recently got a new job during the night and the place where I'm working get really dark so I am looking to buy a new flashlight with good throw and brightness. Can anyone help me out please??
Get yourself one of these:
http://www.banggood.com/Astrolux-S2-CREE-XPL-HI-1400LM-EDC-LED-Flashlight-18650-p-1037831.html

Astrolux S2. If you want to read about them, the original was sold as the BLF X6.

You won't get a better light for the money, possible not even for double the money.

It is Li-ion, so you'll need some good Li-ion batteries. The Samsung 30Q's are very good.
http://www.banggood.com/2PCS-INR186...wer-Li-ion-Battery-for-Samsung-p-1015666.html

You'll want a good charger, something like an Xtar and a Digital Multi Meter (DMM) and then read up on Li-ion safety.

If you've not owned a torch like this, then this will blow your mind.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast

If wanting to light your way at two hundred yards and then burn the house down, a modified light like a T6vn by Vinh that's both flooder and thrower with some heat issues when on Turbo. If wanting two hundred yards and no heat issues when on Turbo, then a Nitecore TM16GT.

The TK75vnQ70 will flood the field but there's heat issues when on turbo. As you can see, I'm not a fan of heat when using a light.

If wanting a regular retail light, then either a Nitecore MH40GT or a Nitecore EC4/EC4S and for the front pocket, when released, a Nitecore MH20GT. Sometimes, depending on light needs, one should have a headlamp, an EDC and a floody thrower. Again, it's all dependent on how much dark you're dealing with and how successful you expect your light to be at a hundred or two hundred yards.

My understanding, it's lumen to flood and CD to throw. I'm partial to a floody thrower without heat issues such as the Nitecore TM16GT. My current perfect set of lights consists of five lights; a headlamp, a floody thrower, an everyday flashlight, an EDC and a pocket key chain light. I'm waiting on the Nitecore MH20GT to be released so it can be added to the collection.

Light can be as much art as science but I doubt you'll get what you're wanting on the cheap. Just saying, if wanting a boat load of light that can't be defended against, it's gonna cost you. If you're wanting an EDC, front pocket light and a belt mounted floody/thrower, it's gonna cost you. Batteries and charger worth a Tinker's Damn, that's gonna cost also.

Other than the above, somebody else will have to chime in as I'm currently a Nitecore fanboy. As requested earlier by another, can you share a bit more as to what you're wanting such as distance and size of the field you're wanting to light up.

Last edited:

MX421

Enlightened

Although the Astrolux S2 is a really good light (mine is the SS version, thus very heavy) is a good light. The tailswitch lights up when the light is not on, so that would make you visible if that matters to you. At a little less budget, perhaps the Convoy C8 would be a good choice. Its got good throw and under $20 USD. Not sure how much throw you need, but a tube light might be sufficient for your needs. There are a lot of choices there. Learn about lithium-ion battery charging before going this route though. Its not difficult with a smart charger and protected cells to start off with.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast

Although the Astrolux S2 is a really good light (mine is the SS version, thus very heavy) is a good light. The tailswitch lights up when the light is not on, so that would make you visible if that matters to you. At a little less budget, perhaps the Convoy C8 would be a good choice. Its got good throw and under $20 USD. Not sure how much throw you need, but a tube light might be sufficient for your needs. There are a lot of choices there. Learn about lithium-ion battery charging before going this route though. Its not difficult with a smart charger and protected cells to start off with.
Convoy C8 is a good shout too, as is the XinTD version from Int'l Outdoor.

If you don't want the illuminated tailcap on the Astrolux, then it's pretty easy to alter.

Javora

Enlightened

I would also suggest the Nitecore MH27...

wensynch

Newly Enlightened

Ultrafire has a pretty bad reputation around here, from false advertising, recycled batteries sold as new to low-quality and even dangerous lights. Beware.

Yeah, dont disagree on either of those points as the electronics/internals do suck, should have said the bottom end rather than basic and advertising/brand control just isn't there: total hit or miss.

I think the builds are good quality though and still good for the price. I like to think of the them as the best of the worst.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've had good luck with *****fire batteries but maybe I've been lucky. I now use protected Orbtronic batteries as sometime, somewhere, my luck will run out. They're much more expensive but I don't have to worry and for the most part, I get the advertised mAh. What price peace of mind?

If the sky does choose to fall, I'd prefer to not be standing where it falls. :p

bdogps

Enlightened
Hey mate,

I reckon the Trunite TC12 is your best bet. It cost me 100AUD, but it comes with a battery and its usb rechargeable as well. You can charge your battery while driving.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I was a security guard, I'd have a Nitecore TM16GT by my side.

I'm not a security guard but I do have a TM16GT.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you get Malkoff over there?

They are made for this and utterly reliable and useful for me.

No gimmicks just performance.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are on a budget, the 3D ML300 would be a good choice for a large light, as is the slimmer 3C ML50....both have 600+ lumen high modes with lots of throw and low modes to extend run time and for close up work.

For something small enough to carry all the time on your belt, for use as a back up or possibly in conjunction with a handgun, I would suggest the Surefire G2 Tactical LED or the Maglite Mag Tac.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nip into your local blue light supply store or on-line if unavailable where you live.They stock a full range of all merchandise connected to the various uniformed services.Just checked one of our UK stores and they Stock the obvious players like Led Lenser-Maglite-Gerber-Inova but also Fenix and Surefire.

As links are frowned upon just copied the line under the title so you know what to search for.

The UK Leader in Police, Security, Military & Safety Kit and Equipment