Flashlight takes many Battery Sizes

nobody

Newly Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
"The Quick Switch takes two C, D or AA batteries and works by merely adjusting a switch to the proper cell size, automatically locking the batteries into place."

cool4light

Newly Enlightened
Just saw one of those at Target, interesting concept.
great to have around for non flashaholics that only have one flahslight. That way when a hurricane comes around and all the "D" batteries are gone they can still buy "C" which happen to be plentiful. at least in lakeland florida. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oddly enough, my non-flashaholic wife e-mailed me that link the other day while I was at work. I think it's a subliminal message - "You don't need $50 flashlights"

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kirk

Enlightened
I bought one of these on Sunday. Ugly? Yeah. Tough? No. Clever? Very. I can't post photos so I will try to describe using my great grasp of the English language! The light is a tad over 9 inches long and 2 3/4" wide at the head. The plastic reflector is 2 1/4" wide. Plastic lens. To change batteries you unscrew the tail-cap, which stays connected to the battery tray and slide the battery tray out, which also doesn't detach from the light. You can't lose parts. You load 2 "AA"s, 2 "C"s, or 2 "D"s onto the tray. They just lay there loose until you slide the tray in. As the tray slides in, 2 spring-loaded "wings" that are fixed inside the body close down over the batteries and hold them in place. The batteries are held tight enough not to rattle, and the instructions say if you drop the light and the batteries get out of alignment, just open the tray and close it again. You have to use 2 of the same size batteries as each size has its own "circuit". There are 3 brass strips running the length of the bottom of the battery tray and they make contact up inside of the light. The "tailcap" end of the tray has 3 contacts. One each in little battery-sized "cutouts"--AA, C, and D diameters. The 4-position (Off, 2D, 2C, 2AA) slide switch is just that--a switch. It does nothing "mechanical" for the different battery sizes. This is curious to me as it makes the light way more complicated and negates the use of 1 D and 1 AA, for instance. Or do you not want to use an AA and a D battery in the same circuit for some reason? The bulb is a typical PR based Krypton. The reflector has 3/8" of faceting next to the bulb, then about 1/2" of smooth, and then about 1/4" of faceting around the perimeter. The beam on this particular light is pretty tight (3 inch diameter @ 6 feet) and only slightly oblong. Very few artifacts and very little side-spill. This light's looks make it ideal for the kitchen counter because the color is "shiny appliance white" and would not "clash" with all your other white kitchen appliances! There are 2 little molded feet on the side opposite the switch to keep it from rolling.
Is this flashlight worth $10? Not to me, really. The concept is good for those folks who don't have flashlights and batteries coming out their ears like I have, and just want a light that will work with whatever batteries they can dig up around the house. If you stay with AA batteries, you can do better; Mini-Maglight for about the same cost. If you want to use D cells, I suppose it is OK, size-wise. It seems to be made of Styrene plastic or something like that which I have found to be rather fragile when dropped.
Well, that's it for the review. Any questions, just ask!
Regards,
Kirk

Mattman

Enlightened
Thanks for the follow-up, Kirk. I think most of us are just curious about this light and not really that interested in owning it, so your review really helps in the "how'd they do that?" area.

Techmedic

Enlightened
Sounds like this device is designed for the average idiot. "Duh, Wilma do we 'ave any 'atteries for da light?" Maybe they are onto something though. I would not put it past other mfg's to create a similar gizmo. I certainly WILL NOT be buying one.
Thanks for the review Kirk. Perhaps you re-post in the reviews section so we can all find it later?

Kirk

Enlightened
Mattman & Techmedic,
You are welcome. If one of the Administrators could move/copy my post I would greatly appreciate it as I would definitely goof it up!
Thank you,
Kirk