Flashlight that auto turns on at power failure

tomzarbo

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, housewarming gift for a friend... I'd like to get him/her a nice lithium powered LED flashlight that auto powers-on in the event of a power outage.

I thought I gifted my niece something like this before, I think it was an Olight with charging cradle, but can't seem to find it anymore.

Any ideas on this, or alternatively a good quality household light that will last for years? preferably with some type of cradle so it can have a known permanent place to live?

My last purchase was a Manker MK34, so it's been a few years.

Thanks,
TomZ

iacchus

Enlightened
Foursevens Maelstrom

tomzarbo

Newly Enlightened
That looks like a decent light, pricey, but you get what you pay for. Thanks for recommending that...

Any other's that I'm missing?

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a few lower priced options that wouldn't be considered enthusiast lights.
Energizer makes one and another called extralite nite safe.

Foursevens Maelstrom
I loved mine so much, I purchased one for my mother.

IMG_8602.JPG

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a couple of these a couple years back. I gave them all away and forgot they existed until I went to my brothers house in Florida recently.
keeps it in the bathroom and one in the hallway for those nighttime walks. It has a built in motion detector that powers it on as you come by.

Xiaomi/Naextool

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eton make something called a "blackout buddy" which is definitely looks like an upgrade from the older Energizer wall night light/torch I had previously 👍

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't LedLenser X21R do this when used with the docking station? I'm not so impressed by this feature however. I spend most of my time away from home working and in the event of a power outage if the light activates and I'm away I'm looking at a dead battery when I come back home.

In my experience there may even be significant delays to me returning back home during an emergency maybe transportation is delayed or nonexistant, roads may even be impassable. I'd rather have lights that aren't on until I'm actually needing to use it than have it running somewhere I'm probably not at. Better to have a light on you and some small stockpiles of batteries at work or some other places.

boo5ted

Enlightened
Yep, the MXS is probably the only one that will automatically come on when the power goes out. I've got one an use it around the house all the time. Only complaint is there is no lanyard attachment on it but that's a minor complaint, everything else is great.

glaborde

Newly Enlightened
I also have an MXS. And I have bought at least seven of them as gifts for relatives and friends who live in earthquake and hurricane country (yeah, add that up ). When they are back in stock, I will be buying an eighth for another son. The power in Houston is not as stable as in California, so I often wake up to my MXS lighting up my room, shining on the ceiling. It is not the prettiest light, but it feels great in the hand. it is my go to light in the middle of the night and the battery will last forever.

DRW

Enlightened
A prudent man would remove his from the charger when he was going to be away from home for a spell. 🤔
The most prudent man will have a program in place to test and/or replace the battery to ensure proper function of the light. Batteries are consumables and should be treated as such.

TPA

Enlightened
I use the Mr. Beams MB530 lights all over the place. Not a flashlight. They're more like lanterns. Dim glow when it gets dark, goes to full brightness when motion is detected. 3x C cells, so they work no matter if the power works or not.

I've given a good number of these away over the years.

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
Another vote here for the Foursevens. I have the "Flood" version, which does not have the standby feature, but I can absolutely vouch for the value and quality of the light.
Just buy one, you won't regret it! :)

tomzarbo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys,
Running out of time, I ended up ordering an
Olight Seeker4 Pro. It has their magnetic snap on charging base, It can be mounted on a wall with the included hardware so it will at least be handy if the power goes out.

Thanks again for the ideas.
TomZ

Reactions: TPA