Flip flops

bykfixer

Flashaholic
There was a time long, long ago that folks wore sandals with a post between the big toe and the one next to it. Some between the next toe and middle toe. That was centuries ago. Some made of wood, some made of leaves. As time passed shoes became more structured, even the sandal.

Now, after world war 2 a phenomenon in America began with a Japanese version of a shoe called "thongs". The term flip flop also took root. I suppose "flip flip" just didn't have the same ring to it. As a kid we had a basic rectangle shaped foam rubber "thong" that had a straw covered footbed.
78D3C5E2-7380-4F59-93E1-C27559ED3E32.jpeg

They lasted days at best. Hours when worn while performing Evel Kneivel stunts on a bicycle. You could buy them practically anywhere for a buck or two. But, America being America at one point a better "thong" was developed. Probably on the west coast and probably by an entrepenural surfer dude. At one point during world war 2 stuff was hard to come by since the war effort pretty much gobbled up a lot of resources.

In Hawaii a shoe maker focused on sandals for that reason. Scott sandals were a big hit on the main island but largely just there. In California in the 1970's another fellow built a "thong" that was meant to last a lifetime. A slab of rubber, some foam, a layer of leather and nylon strap were sandwiched in a way that made a very durable flip flop.
E2A1D3B6-B2B0-4523-957F-80AD842FF6F7.jpeg

Now for the surfer dude who only wore flip flops that was a good thing before big $ sponshorships became the norm. And in the 1980's the word "thong" became synonomous with ladies underwear. So the term flip flop is pretty much the norm, or the word sandals. But sandals often refers to strap on shoes not slide on type.
4B85EB8A-0E1F-4432-8F94-2F1416A95D18.jpeg

Enter big $ fashion industry and you now have billions of flip flops being made by a whole bunch of companies. They also made ones without the shaft between the toes. Often those are worn with socks.
2DF9C49C-EB98-48BA-94C8-7858622081DA.jpeg

Recently while at a clearance store I picked up a pair made by a famous rain coat company London Fog. A lightweight urethane sole with a foam footbed that molds to the foot in time, they're mighty comfy to wear around that house or a quick trip to the store.
68057A57-8590-462F-A106-6C6401D09FFB.jpeg

The strap is cloth lined leather.

My favorite brand is Rainbow. A model called East Cape. Molded rubber footbed, rubber soles and neoprene lined leather strap makes for a quick break in number that can hold up mile after mile. Even hiking. Unlike many flip flops I can drive while wearing the East Cape. I've been wearing that model several years now after trying dozens of good ones.
C06AAFE4-7BC3-41D1-A270-CC378E717074.jpeg

Available in big chain stores but the ones from Rainbow are a little nicer and lighter in weight. Years ago I tried Reef, Gotcha, Quicksilver, Oneil and a slew of other brands but I kept returning to the Rainbow East Cape.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a few pairs of those Japanese bamboo slippers with velour straps. Red or Blue where prettiest. But like you mentioned, they're intended for indoors while leaving outdoor worn shoes at house entrances.
As I remember they float very well, as I threw them into the ocean after broken straps.

Our family lived in Okinawa in the early 60s. The locals wore shoes that had wooden soles.

Many years later, circa 2015, our oldest made himself a pair.

CIMG4775.JPG

He dressed up as an elderly Asian man for a school dress-up day. This was back when cultural appropriation was not a thing.

Image 5-28-23 at 9.03 AM.jpg

Last edited:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to grammar and HS with "Navy kids" One kid, a racially mixed American born Japanese (ABC) Lost count of the times I got scolded for walking into their house wearing sneakers or flip-flops. That boy, he could out surf most pro surfers at that time, and yet had no interest in pursuing his talent

To this day you'll find beat up van's slip-ons and flip flops sitting outside my doors 😎

Last edited:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good ol Mexican sandals.. Not!

Take notice the word "ache" in the word Huaraches, because that's exactly what your feet will be feeling wearing these stiff sandals

Bought my first pair in Baja for $3 and ended up giving away to a local

I had heavy calluses and feet knots from surfing, and still there was no way I could ever break in a pair of these hard leather sandals. Your feet would wear out first!

Soles back then we're recycled tire treads..

Screenshot_20230530-162310.png

Amz sells these today for around $30.. Buyer Beware!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ ouch
They look like gater skin....teeth and all.

The Scott outdoorsman are fairly grippy to the foot thanks to a dimpled molded rubber footbed. That might be an issue to my tender feet that live in work boots most of their days. These dudes may blister the ball of my foot during a trip around a large grocery store.

Back when I had congo feet they would have been great mile after mile, flat ground, hills and such.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
I've never been really big into flip flops, nor sandals for that matter, but years ago I had a custom made set with built in orthotics. They have a heel cup, arch support, and forefoot arch support.

1685531721400.png

They are comfortable, although they have a stiff sole, and the straps bite a little bit now and then. My kids complain that I look like an old man when I wear them with socks. Without socks, the soles of my feet sweat, and that makes them uncomfortable. So I wear socks and look like an old man.

Todays slip on shoes are crocs. They are particularly comfortable. They also look silly when wearing socks, so I bought a package of low profile socks. That makes them more aesthetically acceptable.

1685531928766.png

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Flesh tone colored socks.

Your top pair of shoes Poppy, we call river shoes where I come from. No fear of sharp rocks, broken glass, fishing hooks etc while river fishing from the shore or walking about in the water.

The crocs strap blisters my heel. Can't wear them.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I don't know what they call these... "Water Shoes"?
I wear them when I am launching my kayak, and sometimes if I go to the beach. I don't really like them but they do protect my tootsies.

1685615605276.png

@bykfixer, as you can see, I don't use the straps on the crocks either. I suppose they might be important if one tries to run in them, but otherwise they stay on just fine. Certainly more comfortable than flip flops. They are made of a soft cushioning material, that still offers some arch support. But without socks, they impart sweaty feet.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ we call those "kayaker shoes" where I'm from. Water shoes is probably correct.
Again, no fear of rocks, glass or fishing hooks while pulling the kayak through shallows or to the shore. Dry quickly and offer some grip.

Thong type flip flops are a love 'em or hate 'em thing. To walk around with a shaft between your toes takes some getting used to. You kinda have a compromise between comfort and durability with flip flops. The ones that last the longest require a break in period. Leather footbed type are often hard and slippery at first.

Companies like Columbia or LL Bean have them dialed in pretty good these days offering durability without the long break in period. But to some that's like when Pepsi started making Gatorade. Blasphemy. They stick with traditional surf brands like Quicksilver or O'Neil. Some pure sandal makers like Rainbow or Reef who also make some casual shoes. But I'd say the vast majority of flip flop wearers go price first and get some foam kind with little break in time and last a summer.

New to the scene where I live is a company called OluKai. They've been around a while, but like Keen boots, have expanded into the chain store market with high end flip flops made with durability in mind. And all the cool cats wear those with their outter banks hoodies and Costa sunglasses.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Way way back before "boogie boards" were invented I used to body surf on partially inflated trash bags. We used to travel to Myrtle Beach each summer to stay with relatives.

As an adult I have to blend in with the crowd in my line of work but yet at times somebody will ask "did you used to ride skateboards?" I'd respond "yeah when the waves were flat".

Being by the ocean to me has always been like having an oxygen tank feeding me fresh air. And I've just always enjoyed the old school, pre-Gidget surf culture. Flip flops are a part of that like spokes on a bicycle wheel.

jz6342

Newly Enlightened
Imagine my surprise when I was told to bring a pair of "shower shoes" to Basic Training way back in 1982. I had no idea what shower shoes were. When I asked my recruiter he told me to bring a pair of thongs (before that term meant what it means today) to wear in the shower...there was a novel idea. I'd never thought of them that way. Today we do a lot of camping in state parks and use the shower facilities there. Id never think of stepping foot in there without my flip-flops ;)

SamKormak

Newly Enlightened
There was a time long, long ago that folks wore sandals with a post between the big toe and the one next to it. Some between the next toe and middle toe. That was centuries ago. Some made of wood, some made of leaves. As time passed shoes became more structured, even the sandal.

Now, after world war 2 a phenomenon in America began with a Japanese version of a shoe called "thongs". The term flip flop also took root. I suppose "flip flip" just didn't have the same ring to it. As a kid we had a basic rectangle shaped foam rubber "thong" that had a straw covered footbed.
View attachment 44419
They lasted days at best. Hours when worn while performing Evel Kneivel stunts on a bicycle. You could buy them practically anywhere for a buck or two. But, America being America at one point a better "thong" was developed. Probably on the west coast and probably by an entrepenural surfer dude. At one point during world war 2 stuff was hard to come by since the war effort pretty much gobbled up a lot of resources.

In Hawaii a shoe maker focused on sandals for that reason. Scott sandals were a big hit on the main island but largely just there. In California in the 1970's another fellow built a "thong" that was meant to last a lifetime. A slab of rubber, some foam, a layer of leather and nylon strap were sandwiched in a way that made a very durable flip flop.
View attachment 44421
Now for the surfer dude who only wore flip flops that was a good thing before big $ sponshorships became the norm. And in the 1980's the word "thong" became synonomous with ladies underwear. So the term flip flop is pretty much the norm, or the word sandals. But sandals often refers to strap on shoes not slide on type.
View attachment 44422

Enter big $ fashion industry and you now have billions of flip flops being made by a whole bunch of companies. They also made ones without the shaft between the toes. Often those are worn with socks.
View attachment 44423

Recently while at a clearance store I picked up a pair made by a famous rain coat company London Fog. A lightweight urethane sole with a foam footbed that molds to the foot in time, they're mighty comfy to wear around that house or a quick trip to the store.
View attachment 44424
The strap is cloth lined leather.

My favorite brand is Rainbow. A model called East Cape. Molded rubber footbed, rubber soles and neoprene lined leather strap makes for a quick break in number that can hold up mile after mile. Even hiking. Unlike many flip flops I can drive while wearing the East Cape. I've been wearing that model several years now after trying dozens of good ones.
Rainbow looks good! I'm trying out Oakley's ones I've got while getting new mens running shoes from https://rununited.com/mens-footwear/ and so far those are solid, but won't last as long as good leather ones... EVA sole won't survive 2-3 seasons I'd say.
View attachment 44425
Available in big chain stores but the ones from Rainbow are a little nicer and lighter in weight. Years ago I tried Reef, Gotcha, Quicksilver, Oneil and a slew of other brands but I kept returning to the Rainbow East Cape.
I thought imma log to check a fun review from bykfixer, instead I'm getting a full on history lesson on flip flops.
Worst part I've actually enjoyed the read
1685707856570.png

^^ we call those "kayaker shoes" where I'm from. Water shoes is probably correct.
Again, no fear of rocks, glass or fishing hooks while pulling the kayak through shallows or to the shore. Dry quickly and offer some grip.
Yep, those called water shoes(I think I have a pair somewhere back from when I was rafting in 2018)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I thought imma log to check a fun review from bykfixer, instead I'm getting a full on history lesson on flip flops.
Worst part I've actually enjoyed the read
View attachment 44626

Yep, those called water shoes(I think I have a pair somewhere back from when I was rafting in 2018)
Glad to hear it wasn't boring to you Sam.
I have two new pairs I'm trying out at the same time a few hours here n there. I'll do a versus type review soon. Kinda like an old guy perspective since my knees, hips and ankles are all stoved up from decades of abuse and the soles of my feet are tender from wearing socks n shoes mostly the last few years.

Unlike my buddy Charles Horse from west of the Pecos who wears flip flops while climbing ladders, chasing off crocodiles from his swimming pool or surfing at sunrise, my perspective will be from a typical over weight office dweller who's legs haven't seen the sun since that orange guy got elected.

6AE2F22D-72B9-4195-A0C1-0DD5886C53E1.jpeg

Two pairs of modern day no break in type.
The Rainbow East Cape and Scott Outdoorsman

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'll start by saying after an 8+ hour day of wearing boots, either one is a pleasure to wear.

The East Cape in the photo in post 16 are directly from Rainbow. They offer them in whole sizes. My local Shoe Carnival store has a dark brown version available in size pairs. S= 7/8, Me=9/10 type thing. The ones from Rainbow are lighter and more spongey than the Shoe Carnival ones. Either one run small in that the stick between the toe is set back some for people with finger toes (ie long toes). So I upsize. All Rainbow flip flops I've ever owned are that way. So if buying Rainbow flip flops online, if you think you'd wear a large get extra large or your heel may hang off the back.

So the Scott brand on the other hand fit like they should. They come in whole sizes. Their sizing chart is interactive so you'll know you're getting the correct size. Nice touch.

Both were made in China. Rainbow has some US made still. They have a limit imposed on them by the California gubment due to the glue used. Scott no longer makes any in the US. Probably for the same reason.

Ok, so both shoes (if you want to call them shoes) have a molded rubber footbed. Both have some dimples for grip. Think knurling on a flashlight. The Scott have a deeper dimple for better traction when wet. Yeah, those things are like velcro fuzzy half and your feet are the stubble half. Now that's a bit of a problem for a tender foot. Blisters on the ball area of your foot after aggressive or a long walk. The Rainbow are more smooth yet still grippy for casual use. Even wet like washing the car or as jz said "shower shoes".

The Scott cradle your feet when new where the Rainbow's are flatter at first. As you wear them they mold to your foot but there's no memory per sae. Another reason why the Scott may blister some people's feet. I can wear the Rainbow's all day with no issue where with the Scott shoes the ball of my tender foot feels a wee bit tender after a few hours.

Both are somewhat weighty without being heavy. You definitely get the feeling these will not blow out on you as you stroll through a 2 zip code sized super store. By summer's end I'll probably wear the Scott shoes more than the Rainbow shoes, once my tootsies have toughened up some. If your feet are already tough you could probably run from the cops with the Scott shoes on. They're that well molded to the foot. Certainly drive with them on. Heck, either pair mesh with your feet well enough to drive.

Looking at the construction, the Rainbow's look better made with seems of color changes being consistant. The Scott look like one color spilled out of its mold in some places so no crisp color change all around the shoe. I mean, it's plenty sturdy, but the details play a role in looks in my view.
45590785-4423-4748-9038-70583E1C2415.jpeg

See the lack of crisp line, like that was an after thought.

4A70CEFF-39D6-4080-946C-001B61B57B02.jpeg

The Rainbow just looks more refined in construction.

The Scott shoes were $35 shipped. They used to be $50 but are on clearance. Scott has $0 shipping on any order. Arrived USPS priority in 3 days.

The Rainbow were $48 shipped. Now they have $0 shipping on orders over $100 and I bought some other stuff to make it $100+. Shipped FedEx 2 day. Shipped on a Tuesday, at my door on Thursday.

I'll add more later.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Mrs Fixer came home and asked "wanna go get some barbecue and baked spagetti? You flyin' I'm buyin'"

So I put on an aloha shirt to go with my fancy new Scott flip flops.
F6AF1296-A3D8-4DF4-AEF4-B554FE8E921F.jpeg

Off we go, me in my fat old guy shirt, her lookin' all ready for some good old fashioned southern kale and sweet tea.

The stroll across a lava hot asphalt parking lot was a pleasure thanks to comfy slabs of rubber between my foot and that recently sealed 125+ degree blacktop. A trip to the buffet bar was sure footed as well. Now I'm into portion control lately so a second trip took place for just a little more of that baked spagetti. After that we walked around a big ole box store to work off some calories. The shoes got more comfy with each step. Now when I got home I swapped out to the Rainbow East Capes and frankly it was like going from durable work shoes to bedroom slip on shoes.

Tomorrow a trip to a gigantic grocery store will take place with the Rainbow East Capes (Lord willin'). I'll put on some kinda t-shirt with somebody's logo as if they sponsor my trip to the store in case I see somebody I didn't like back in high school who may remember I limp from all those skateboarding injuries. Something loose fitting that makes my "moobs" look like the total package Lex Luger's chest muscles. I'll test how well the East Capes do at a quick pace whenever I get near the junk food row(s) and how well they feel while standing still reading labels of healthy stuff.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you speak to a New Zealander (Kiwi) they'll call flip flops/thongs a "Jandal" (Japanese-Sandal), when the upper straps break loose we call that a "blow out" :crackup: