Floody yes, tactical no

Coop57

Enlightened
Nothing against all the Tactical lights out there they are great for there indeeded purpose. I need a light that is more floody. A wider beam. I walk my dog in a dark area and don't really need a ton of lumens on a tight spot. I go camping at a family campground. I go trout fishing twice a year. Our electric power goes out once a year. I have a Quark AA that is great but too tight. Batteries are not a concern, AAA, AA, 123s.
Any suggestions for a durable floody LED flashlight? Price range up to $90.
Thanks in advance

OCD

Enlightened
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and predict Zebra lights will be recommened.....ALOT!

scott

Enlightened
I have a Quark AA for "tactical" applications. For everything else, I have a...

...Zebralight.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
EagleTac P20C2 MkII with XM-L High-Output.

Large emitter with small reflector produces a massive spot and spill. You can also use the diffuser accessory if you need an even more floody beam.

hwc

Newly Enlightened
quark X series with the XM-L emitter. I just got the AA-2 version and the beam width is fantastic, both the hotspot and the size of the beam overall. I ordered a 2-CR123 version for the car.

You can compare the beamshot photos of the new XM-L series to your current Quark at this link. It's pretty dramatic. I don't think anything can beat an XM-L with a small reflector for beam spread and brightness.

http://lygte-info.dk/review/Beamshot%20Quark%202011-08%20UK.html

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
just about any smaller handheld light with an XM-L will have a floody beam. with that said, im going to suggest....

Zebralight H600. its a headlamp, that can double as a handheld flashlight. ive had my ZL H501w for years, and still use it plenty. in fact its cliped to the pocketless wasitband of my shorts as i type.

if you want more flood, im sure ZL will release a "flood" version of the H600, also a neutral tint version.
and the H600 isnt released yet, will have to wait a couple more weeks.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
The most durable floody LED light you can get would be a Surefire 6P/G2 with a Malkoff M60F. Or for longer runtime an M60LF/LLF. Should come in right at $90. And...it will survive things you won't.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, forgot about the L4...you can also get one for about $70-$90 on the MP...a little more durable, water-proof wise (I have found the "E-Series" to be more water resistant than the C/P series), just doesn't have the upgrade options of the 6P/Malkoff combo.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a reminder Zebralights come in regular and flood versions. Look for the F in the model number suffix.

I find my XPG Quark MiNi AA/AA2 fairly floody. 2X diameter hotspot compared to my other AA lights. Still have a spot/spill beam pattern though.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing against all the Tactical lights out there they are great for there indeeded purpose. I need a light that is more floody. A wider beam. I walk my dog in a dark area and don't really need a ton of lumens on a tight spot. I go camping at a family campground. I go trout fishing twice a year. Our electric power goes out once a year. I have a Quark AA that is great but too tight. Batteries are not a concern, AAA, AA, 123s.
Any suggestions for a durable floody LED flashlight? Price range up to $90.
Thanks in advance

Use the light you have and purchase the Quark Prisim kit. It costs $ 20 and works well diffusing light. For power outages, the white Fenix diffuser wand makes the Quark a great candle of diffused light. The P - D small size fits the Quark with a little filing on the inside of the diffuser. Diffuser tip $ 3

Coop57

Enlightened
Lou,
Thanks for the info. I haven't been on the 4sevens website in a while. This looks like the answer to my problem.

scott

Enlightened
I can't seem to be able find my Quark prism, but as I remember, I didn't really like it. If I remember correctly, it cuts the beam off around the edges and seems to reduce the light's output. It's been a while, though.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
My dedicated EDC flooder is still my Thrunite Neutron 1C... Huge amounts of floody light, it's tiny, has an awesomely low low, and with a McClicky in it, the switch is perfect now (as opposed to the squishy reverse clicky that it came with).

redryder

Enlightened
I have a Novatac 85P. I like the beam pattern much better than the Surefire LX2 or Quark 123. The Novatac is one of the earlier programmable models made in the USA. They make lower priced models which I suspect have the same beam pattern but I am not sure about build quality(search Candlepower forums).

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have gone away from my throwers recently. They still have their use though and I like to have them at arms reach.
For walking around outdoors a warm flood is ideal, when I hear a noise, i do like to be able to throw a lot of light to identify what made that noise.