For Aussies - 1200 lasers caught

Mindshare

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know what other countries are affected by these new or existing laws?

For instance I heard the US is also stick, but what about Canada?

DM51

Flashaholic
matt304 and others... you are advised that the discussion of illegal acts is not permitted here.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The laser bans suck, I had to get my Romisen 30 mW from someone in England and paying a large markup compared to the chinese sellers. My current one is a modded 30mW true green, no IR filter like the Romisen, I pot modded it and cut off the APC circuit and run it off a li-po, it's now a nice burning laser except it overheats and mode hops if left on longer than 30 seconds or so, then it needs to rest for like 5 minutes. But it's now ridiculous banning these things.

What's next banning aspherics because they have a laser like beam?

t3h

Newly Enlightened
"The fact that so many have been intercepted - an average of 150 a week since the ban came into effect - just goes to show why the ban was necessary."

Love that quote. "We banned them, and people are still ordering them, so we were right in banning them"

ApoXX

Newly Enlightened
I'm pretty sure it's 1mW max for AUS and 5mW max for USA.

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
In other words. all laser pointers. :shakehead

The laws only stop the responsible people who use them, the trouble makers will still get them.

atropine1

Newly Enlightened
For people in Queensland. Laser pointers become a 'prohibited weapon' in January 09. That's when the legislation is set to pass (at time of writing) & it's time to feel a little paranoid using it outdoors.

ixfd64

Newly Enlightened
Does the law apply to all portable lasers, or just "pointers"?

There is a big difference between a portable laser and a laser pointer.

ScubaSnyder

Enlightened
I currently own a 5mW laser in the US and to be honest I question sometimes why I own one, I use it mostly for pointing out stars and for presentations. If I use the laser pointer for pointing out stars I sometimes run into trouble with the local PD because the green laser is used for military applications. This is not fair. If they sell the lasers in the states why can I not use it...I have been in trouble once with a warning and now I am afraid to bring it out, I mean they blocked off my road and surrouned my house like wtf I was not trying to mark a target! Blah laser laws, soon our flashlights will be taken away!

Oznog

Enlightened
I currently own a 5mW laser in the US and to be honest I question sometimes why I own one, I use it mostly for pointing out stars and for presentations. If I use the laser pointer for pointing out stars I sometimes run into trouble with the local PD because the green laser is used for military applications. This is not fair. If they sell the lasers in the states why can I not use it...I have been in trouble once with a warning and now I am afraid to bring it out, I mean they blocked off my road and surrouned my house like wtf I was not trying to mark a target!

I have never heard of green being illegal because it "is used for military applications". It is illegal to shine lasers of any color or wattage at planes or helicopters (or ultralights or hot air balloons, aircraft of any type). Realistically a 5mw red would probably not even be noticeable from miles off. Green gets attention and the beam is often visible due to atmospheric dust and fog so you could get called on even if they saw a beam which was not aimed at the craft. And that's all about the threat of blinding pilots, it has nothing to do with the threat of a weapons system.

I did have a guy who came back from Iraq saying my green was freaking him out because it is used for some weapons systems, so his instincts made him jumpy even seeing it shine on a tree, kinda like seeing a gun barrel pointing at you. But, not a part of the law.

atropine1

Newly Enlightened
Yeah it's a bit strange this 'military use' thing. If it was a red laser, and was being shone at people or through a persons window etc, than it's possible someone could have called it into police thinking it was a targeting laser sight for a gun.

I know the military guide in missiles using infra red lasers, eg - http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=C3AQ5uBgeOM.
But surely nobody would even see that.

from what you said with blockading the street as if it was a siege situation, maybe they did think it was attached to a gun.

Burgess

Flashaholic
This thread makes me shake my head.

:shakehead

Just who is gonna' decide

if your explanation is "reasonable" ?

:whistle:

hopkins

Enlightened
Lots of LEO's have been to the 'sandbox' and automatic weapons and green lasers go together like bees and honey. On a slow night you could meet
the entire shift at your house if you're just out star gazing.

Might pay to give them a call just to be on record in their database that
you have a green laser for star gazing/pointing and will not point it at any aircraft or homes, etc. Then when they get a call on you they may be less likely
to jump to the wrong conclusion. For those paranoid enough to set up a video
cam to record your star party and the sky as evidence (if needed) that no
lasering of aircraft was going on, feel free to do so.

AvPD

Enlightened
The final straw for me to get the hell out of that place would be them even thinking they were touching my guns.

I've recently become aware of the issue of forced confiscation of guns over there, that hasn't happened here to my knowledge, there was a gun buy-back scheme after the incident mentioned above. I think it would be a bad sign for any country if there was a forced confiscation of any item from the general population.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The idea behind most of these laws is that the government is trying to protect people from stupid people. I think they should have raised the ban to anything over 5mW, since 5mW is standard for most cheaper pointers. Now, if they start trying to ban guns, that's when you guys should start getting antsy.

btw, what is a 100pts license? does that mean a license with a perfect record? so you can't have done anything wrong ever in your life if you want a laser pointer?

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
"The fact that so many have been intercepted - an average of 150 a week since the ban came into effect - just goes to show why the ban was necessary."

Love that quote. "We banned them, and people are still ordering them, so we were right in banning them"

LOL, I agree with that. Pretty poor logic. I'm sure every single one was being ferried in by the same, evil, laser-wielding syndicate. Most likely the lasers where on their way to be attached to man-eating sharks. It's nice that the media thinks were all idiots that cant make decisions for ourselves.

It's nice to know that at the very least, that here in the US the constitution does not allow ex-post facto laws to be made. The idea that you have to register or destroy property that was legal before the passing of the bill is absurd. Hopefully our system of government will also provide a stronger bulwark against flights of fancy such as this.

It really does strike me as total foolishness. No BB guns? You've got to be kidding me. I thought that because of the history of Australia it's citizens would be more adversarial to this sort of treatment.

Last edited:

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
The idea behind most of these laws is that the government is trying to protect people from stupid people. I think they should have raised the ban to anything over 5mW, since 5mW is standard for most cheaper pointers. Now, if they start trying to ban guns, that's when you guys should start getting antsy.

btw, what is a 100pts license? does that mean a license with a perfect record? so you can't have done anything wrong ever in your life if you want a laser pointer?

100 point identification check involves having a number of verified forms of identification.
It doesn't have anything to do with license record.

Here are the items that qualify:

Primary Documentation
Birth Certificate/Card - 70 points
Passport - 70 points
Citizenship Certificate - 70 points

Secondary Documentation
Drivers Licence - 40 points
Medicare Card - 25 points
DVA Card - 25 points
Centrelink Card - 25 points
Credit Card or Account Card - 25 points
Bank Statement - 25 points
Motor vehicle registration or insurance document - 25 points
Property rates notice - 25 points
Property lease agreement - 25 points
Home insurance papers - 25 points
Utilities bills - 25 points

Only originals are excepted and you need/can only use one primary document.
You could therefore provide the following.

Your birth certificate
Drivers license (which is also photo identification)
Bank statement

This system is used to positively identify you to stop id fraud.

more info is here

Last edited:

R@ndom

Enlightened
My laser was one of the lasers. It was actually labeled as a 0.5mw but customs confiscated it anyway. It was a cheapy from dx so i cbf filling out the paperwork to get it back. The registered post cost more than laser.

Latest posts